*can Someone Please Enlighten Me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
ive been growing for a few years but it has always been outdoors and im just about getting ready to start a grow room. i have a relatively decent sized room, approximately 10L x 4W x 7H.. i am about to buy a 400w HPS bulb for the room where we're not planning to grow more than 4 plants at one time... can someone please help and answer some questions?

~all this talk about cops using thermal imaging to catch growers has me kind of paranoid, what advice can you give me regarding my situation with using a 400w HPS in a house's bedroom?

~where can i get a ballast and am I going to need to have an electrician install without him suspecting anything??

~can i get just any reflector and insert my bulb into it?

~is it a problem if i use the HPS light on the newly sprouted seedlings if i raise it a little higher?

~is it a bad idea to release some heat in the room by havin the window open with a fan blowing outside? will neighbors get suspicious?(room is on 2nd level of house)

......any advice on this would be enormously appreciated.. thank you:holysheep:

You gotta be as careful as possible so a lot of that will really come down to personal choice.
I dont think the fuzz would use thermal imaging to find ur four plants. As long as u dont OD and sell to everyone on ur block i wouldnt worry bout that.
If i were u i would buy a complete grow light and bypass all the **.
Alot of people use compact fls for seedlings but u can use the hps just dont put it too close. Metal Halide however is the best for the 1st half of ur plants life.

As far as the fan is concerned i have never looked at someones house seen a fan in the window and assumed they were growing mj. the fan plus the blinding light might b suspect though.lol

:yeahthat:
Do some research on the site. If i were you I'd buy a 600W atleast, it will most likely only cost another fifty bucks or so. You'll probably want to section off the room a bit so you can don't have a bunch of residual light flooding out of your room. I made a little section once out of pvc pipe and then used mylar to enclose it. Like DUB said..the fan won't be suspicious, it will be the extremely not nornal light shining out of your window that gives you away. You'll see what we're talking about when you set it up. Good luck. BTW there are tons of sites to buy lights and ballasts...ballasts just plug into a normal outlet.

:yeahthat: You'll definately be happier with a 600 watt system for your girls, about the same amount of heat and a much better outcome.

You will want to do something about that window tho, either a curtain (heavy) or put up a sheet of the insulation that is used between walls in construction. I put up the insulation in my windows and it is working well.

As for reflectors you will be better off using one that is designed for use with your bulb. You can buy a complete 600 watt with a decent reflector and a digital ballast for under 300 bucks US. Then add a fan and a DIY air scrubber and you'll be one happy camper...

Good luck and keep em green

Peace...j.b.

Latest posts

Back