Can u run a 400 Watt with a 1000 Watt ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i wouldnt and never had tried it but all i said is that i have a buddy that did it on accident and the bulb still fires and the ballast still is up n running! and the same thing is going on different websites so theres videos explaing all of this on youtube but its over and done with the dude that started this thread should buy a 1000 watt bulb anyway to get more lumens since he has a 1000 watt ballast!

thanks for all that useful info hick! i say run with the biggest powerful bulb that the ballast will accept and run effcient on!

i know nothing about lumens and such.but i am an electrician and i certainly wouldnt recomend puttin 1000w of power through a 400w appliance.hope this helps:)

ya i did some research on it and its not safe but it WILL POWER the bulb, but its not safe or efficient and can casue major major major problems

The Hemp Goddess said:
well why would someone buy a ballast that will put out 1000 watts and only buy a 400 watt bulb or so, thats useless!

Actually not useless--ballasts that will run at different wattages are very useful. There are a couple of ballast companies out there now that are making adjustable ballasts (why would they do this if you could run any size bulb you wanted to?). For example you can buy a 1000W Quantum "dimmable" ballast and 1000W bulb, but run it at 500W, 750W or 1000W. This is a real advantage if you do not always have your closet full and don't need as much light. I believe that NextGen is also making adjustable ballasts.[/quote]

My new 1k lumatek has a dimmer that goes 50/75/100/ and super, I dont think im trying the super lol 1k is plenty plus safer.

Ballast and bulb must match not only for safety reasons but also for better performance, common sence goes a VERY long way lol.

Latest posts

Back