cfl ,hps,and mh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARY-JANE

Female Growers Group
Reaction score
Well Hello to everyone. I'm in need of help; everyone say that cfls put out a lot of heat but I'm jus not getting that. I have a 65w cfl that puts out 300w and also using 2 42w puts out 200w. And I have no heat problem.

But with the hps and mh put out heat.

One more thing cfl is good for flowing and veg. maybe ya'll should check out the sunlight supply inc. web site. For they sale cfl for flowing and veg.

All those cfl's don't equal up to a HPS.So if you add enough cfl's to get the same results of let's say a 400 watt HPS then you're gonna have to have like 20 cfl's.There's your heat.
Daylight Cfl's are great for vegging.Who said they weren't good?

i've grown with cfls for a while untill this last week, all of the 42 watt cfls i've ever seen were 150 watt equivalent and 65 watts were 200 watts, but they might make different types i've not seen. cfls don't produce as much heat as the larger hps and mh lights, however i've just started usin the 150 watt hps and 2 of those produce less heat than the 17 42 watt cfls i was usin. i still veg with floros and cfls. no one here will knock you for growin with cfls, its been prove that you can get good results with them. it just takes alot to get the results that you can get with cfls.

slowmo77 said:
i've grown with cfls for a while untill this last week, all of the 42 watt cfls i've ever seen were 150 watt equivalent and 65 watts were 200 watts, but they might make different types i've not seen. cfls don't produce as much heat as the larger hps and mh lights, however i've just started usin the 150 watt hps and 2 of those produce less heat than the 17 42 watt cfls i was usin. i still veg with floros and cfls. no one here will knock you for growin with cfls, its been prove that you can get good results with them. it just takes alot to get the results that you can get with cfls.

I understand what you are saying. Well with me only using the 65w that puts out 300w. Thats not good humm... well what if I added 2 more 65w that put out 300w would that be good.

it depends on how big your space is,, i used 17 42 watter in a 2x2x4 flowerin box. it seems that 3000 lumens per sq ft is good but 5000 is better, with cfls the more you have the better your results. but the more you add the higher your temps will get.

MARY-JANE said:
I understand what you are saying. Well with me only using the 65w that puts out 300w. Thats not good humm... well what if I added 2 more 65w that put out 300w would that be good.

It doesn't matter how much they"put out". The bulb equivalent wattage doesn't count when you are growing. You have 1 65W and 2 42W for a total of 149W, not 700W, putting out less than 10000 lumens. That is good for about 2 sq ft.

MARY-JANE said:

I was using the equivalent of 1400 watts with cfls.Still wasn't getting results I felt that made it worth my while.Plus they were HOT!

slowmo77 said:
it depends on how big your space is,, i used 17 42 watter in a 2x2x4 flowerin box. it seems that 3000 lumens per sq ft is good but 5000 is better, with cfls the more you have the better your results. but the more you add the higher your temps will get.

So what is the put out watt on your 42watters? How much lumens do you get out of using 17 cfls?

MARY-JANE said:
So what is the put out watt on your 42watters? How much lumens do you get out of using 17 cfls?

A cfl lumen doesn't even come close to equaling an HPS lumen for growing.Very little of the spectrum is used by the plant from a cfl.On the other hand a plant uses almost the whole spectrum of an HPS.So you just waste energy with all that unused spetrum.

the cfls i have are 42 watt 2700 lumens and 2700k spectrum, i had a total of 719 watts and 42900 lumens. each bulb cost 9 bucks plus the cost of 17 sockets and cords. thats close to $175 for cfls and my temps could get up to the high 80's and 90 a few times during the summer.

now i use 2 of the $20 150 watt hps and i have 300 watts and 30,000 lumens that cost $53.43 plus two cords. and my temps haven't been higher than
82 F.

slowmo77 said:
the cfls i have are 42 watt 2700 lumens and 2700k spectrum, i had a total of 719 watts and 42900 lumens. each bulb cost 9 bucks plus the cost of 17 sockets and cords. thats close to $175 for cfls and my temps could get up to the high 80's and 90 a few times during the summer.

now i use 2 of the $20 150 watt hps and i have 300 watts and 30,000 lumens that cost $53.43 plus two cords. and my temps haven't been higher than
82 F.

Hey SloMo,How how are the girls liking the new lights?Mine still have 2-3 weeks left and the buds are already almost as big as the final product with the cfl's.

monday will be a week under the hps and so far they really seem to like it. i've noticed slightly faster bud growth in the past week and the buds seem to be gettin a little more soild than with cfls. has anyone else noticed an increase in trich production with the hps after usin cfls or is it just in my head?

ok this is what i'm using. 300watt replacement using only 65watts ecobulb soft white light.

light out put 3900 lumens
energy used 65 watts

101_1683.JPG

slowmo77 said:
monday will be a week under the hps and so far they really seem to like it. i've noticed slightly faster bud growth in the past week and the buds seem to be gettin a little more soild than with cfls. has anyone else noticed an increase in trich production with the hps after usin cfls or is it just in my head?

Everything seems to be better.Anyone wanna buy 12 painter lights w/ CFL's;)

im usin most of my cfls in the house now. now i get to cut my power bill down after months of runnin 719 watts to flower. took 419 watts of just by swithin to the hps plus the added cutts by replacin my 100watt house bulbs with 42 watt cfls.. can't wait to see my next power bill

ok I would like to say thank ya'll for the help but ya'll is getting totally of track here. But thank you anyway.

MARY-JANE said:
ok this is what i'm using. 300watt replacement using only 65watts ecobulb soft white light.

energy used 65 watts

im with THG on this one that will work for about 2 sq ft. use one of each of them per sq ft and you'll get a pretty good yeild imo.

MARY-JANE said:

energy used 65 watts

Why go buy 2 more of those $15 CFL's when you can order two 150 watt HPS's for almost the same amount?Just use your current cfl's to veg with.

Latest posts

Back