CFs for a Micro grow-box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two 19"-17"-17" grow boxes that use one Compact Flo. each. My question is: Can I just use CFs throughout the Veg and Flow. cycles for decent yields or will I eventually have to switch to HPS? And, if I can use solely CFs for Veg and Flow, which type would I need for each? Thank you for guiding this newb. EDIT: I have four 2x3 windows with a fan on all day. I was wondering which CFLs I should use for each cycle. Edit2: The lights are each 42w, but if I can, I will get ones with higher wattage.

You can look on youtube for some examples of CFL harvests.

How big are your lights? Anything below 42w would (in my opinion) be inadequate.

Hi there. Welcome to MP. Make sure to do your research. The Resources Tab at the top of the page is a great place to start. This site also has a Search tool which is very useful when you are searching for something in particular. Make sure to take advantage of the valuable assets offered at this great site. You can use cfls throughout the entire grow cycle but it just wont produce the yields that an hps system would. I've seen great results with cfls but an hps will political name it any day. The more light you have, the better your yield will be. You want to stuff as many lights in your box as possible without heat becoming an issue. What type of ventilation do you have for these growboxes? They are 19 inches wide, 17 inches long, and 17 inches high? You didn't really specify which measurements were which.... Hope this helps. I hope to see you around the forums sometime in the future. Until then, take care and be safe.

hello,
I am using the cfl's too. I do know people say you cant use them in the flowering stage because not enough light. But, I am putting 5 cfl's per plant and i have 2. The bulbs are 23 watts each. So if you put enough bulbs i would think it would work. Anyone on this? Thanks for the time

Have a great day,
missy : )

I am using cfls in my vegging box. My tip is to watch it with the distance between the plant and the bulb. I ended up burning some of my plants when I initially put them into the box. I think that the bulb doesn't run too hot, but the base does. I have the 42W bulbs and 18" tubes.

Anyway, a cooling fan from Radio Shack keeps it cool, and provides a little breeze to toughen up the stalks.

Good luck!

i grow with cfls from start to finish and have had good results. you can find them in both 2700k and 6500k. use the 6500k for veg and 2700k for flowering. also you said only has a place for 1 bulb, you can buy spliter that will make it two but with only 17 in. of space from top to bottom you wanna save as much room as you can. i run 5 cfls per plant each in an 8 in. reflector shining from every direction works great. heres some pics of my last cfl plant.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26222

Thanks Slowmo. I just added another light yesterday and I can see a decent difference. I'll try to get at least 2 more cfls by the end of the week. The only problem is that I have a top on the box, so I'll have add more openings to add the lights. I'm wondering if I should just remove the top (Its not airtight) or does it not matter? I have four 2"x3" with a fan running, but maybe its not enough? Any advice would be appreciated.

its hard to say without seeing pics of your grow space. i do know you don't want your box to be air tight.

Some pics of your growbox would be great. That would help out a lot. The more light you can get in there, the better. I wouldn't remove the top. Cut more holes if you have to add more lights. I don't think heat will become an issue but if it does, you can always get a very small computer fan and add it to the growbox. Here is a link to the exhaust fan I'm going to be using when I get my micro box into production. hxxp://www.buyextras.com/bxtulqu4x4x0.html Replace the hxxp with http and the link will work. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

Sorry I can't post any pics (I don't have any type of camera device and I'm using a PSP >.<) But I do have a few PC fans availible, just gotta find a decent power source to hook em up to. (I'm thinking a couple RC battery packs. If theres anything I'm good at, its McGyvering stuff out of nothing. You'll understand once I'm able to post some pics.)

wall wart multi voltage DC adaptors are fine for pc fans - the kind of adaptors you get for personal stereos, routers, portable games consoles etc. Your pc fan will have its rating on it in amps - 0.2a say. as will the adaptor. make sure your adaptor amp rating exceeds that of the fan. The fan WILL NOT draw any more current than its rating.

You can also use mobile phone chargers for this purpose. the supply voltage governs speed so you can cut voltage down on a loud fan to make it quieter.

Latest posts

Back