clipped the fan leaves, but now I don't know...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sap_boy

Reaction score
An experienced grower friend of mine suggessted that I clip all the fan leaves (and I mean ALL--large, small, top, bottom, etc.) off of my plant yesterday and allow it to grow with just the long branches, buds, and a few protruding leaves near the buds. I followed his advice, and now I have what looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

Was this good advice? Should I have consulted this forum first?

im new so i dont no a lot but i thought i read that the plant needs it fan leaves to maintain propper food distrbution our somethin like that im shure someone with more experince will chime in tho..

I was told that clipping all the leaves stresses the plant during its final days and causes more resin production. Could be bulls**t, though. JUst wondering if any seasoned growers have an opinion.

Its never a good idea to remove fan leaves, that plant uses the leaves to produce the sugars it needs for vigourous growth.

I dont believe he is as experienced as he would have you believe.

Then how come I've seen in the photo galleries many plants that are essentially buds on a stick but still growing in a pot?

sap_boy said:
Then how come I've seen in the photo galleries many plants that are essentially buds on a stick but still growing in a pot?

Ive seen the same, sometimes the plants loses fan leaves on its own in late flowering, or maybe they went to town with the scissors.

Man oh man....am I screwed now? I hope I didn't make a huge mistake this late in the game.

I suppose that considering it's almost November, so I'm going to have to harvest soon anyway...

sap_boy said:
Man oh man....am I screwed now? I hope I didn't make a huge mistake this late in the game.

I suppose that considering it's almost November, so I'm going to have to harvest soon anyway...

I don't think your screwed since it's so close to harvest anyway. Think about it like this, you just saved manicure time at the end!

I'm not sure where you are, but I'm pulling my girl in a week because of weather.....ready or not!!:D

You'll be fine!

I'm not an experienced grower either, but what your guy said makes sense. I mean to the plant when it feels like its dying, its going to do every thing in its power to make sure that the "seeds" have as much chance as possible to survive and reproduce. By stressing the plant THIS late, I would think that it would cause faster growth FOR A LITTLE WHILE, till the mother plant has nothing more to give, then it will die/ hurt growth. Since your going to be cutting is soon any ways, you get the benefit of the super grow before cut with out facing the consequences of dealing with a plant that can't get any energy since your cutting it... It makes a hell of a lot of sense to me...

Its probably not going to make much of a difference since its so close to harvest. But, I would not recommend doing this. The plants need their fan leaves for optimum healthy growth. Not to mention that the leaves help protect the buds.

Latest posts

Back