clones and potency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have read a few times that if you clone from a single mother you will get the same genetics potency.....but if you clone from a clone and clone from that clone and so on that you lose potency and yield. How does that all work?

Thanks,.

I brought this up once before, and was basically told it's not true. I believe it was a long the lines of clones of the same plant for a decade or more with no loss.

I’ve grown beautiful clones clones with good potency so I would have to say this was not true for at least the third generation anyway. I finally wanted to try something else but maybe I should have tried 4th generation as my GDP is running low 😜

been doing clones of clones for 30 years... no issues. except the same issue you get with mother plants they do eventually get degraded, after all cannabis is an annual, takes years to degrade though.

been doing clones of clones for 30 years... no issues. except the same issue you get with mother plants they do eventually get degraded, after all cannabis is an annual, takes years to degrade though.
Makes sense. All species, flora and fauna, eventually are no longer capable of making viable offspring.

Well I've never seen this degrading in clones. It's a Fking clone. The only degrading I can see that would happen would be the growers fault by not treating it the same or something happening. Again growers fault.
A mother plant degrading I can see because it's the same damn plant that has gotten older and older and it's worn the fk out.
Think about it: the DNA of the plant can never change, but the environment and health are entirely up to the grower. It’s the old “nature vs. nurture” argument. Healthy plants will give off healthy cuttings, while stressed or diseased plants will give off weak and distressed ones. If something in its environment changes the health of that clone then yes it will suffer and so will a clone you take from it.

Last edited:
Also growing from seed will normally get you a stronger more vigorous plant because it has a tap root. A clone does not have a tap root.
Did you know that when you clone from a mother that the clone will be the age of the mother when it's taken. So the older the mother the older the clone.

If you have a female plant, is it better to clone her or just let her grow?
You can take clippings off her during her grow and make clones from the clippings. I usually do that with all my healthy clippings whether I need them or not sometimes like now having 2 foot clones living under a cheap plant light with no home

Also growing from seed will normally get you a stronger more vigorous plant because it has a tap root. A clone does not have a tap root.
Did you know that when you clone from a mother that the clone will be the age of the mother when it's taken. So the older the mother the older the clone.
1677331399288.png
Tap root vs fiberous rap

No I didn't know the mothers age affected the age of a clone. So, you don't have to clone a female plant.

I'm going to grow Molokai Frost #3 x Triangle Kush Fem (gifted to me from Carty) inside just one. And autos outside. Just finishing up Northern Lightryder Autos they are eight weeks in flower right now . I need a new San Disk for my camera to update my thread it's been a while since I posted there.

Yes you would need to clone the female if you want a cutting from that Phenotype.
I normally take clones from a vegging phenotype that I like and hope like hell when I flip the plant I took it from is a female unless I'm looking for a male to use to pollinate.
And never waste your time cloning an Auto. It won't be worth your time.

I've been cloning a white widow from 06
I use a mother plant that gets replaced maybe once a year
I've noticed no decrease in vigor or potency, I hope I never do.

I've been cloning a white widow from 06
I use a mother plant that gets replaced maybe once a year
I've noticed no decrease in vigor or potency, I hope I never do.
Yup, I have Lemon Betty that I have had going since 2014. Lucinda longer than that. Wish I had never let Lucinda go. I replace mother's every 6 months.

Well I've never seen this degrading in clones. It's a Fking clone. The only degrading I can see that would happen would be the growers fault by not treating it the same or something happening. Again growers fault.
A mother plant degrading I can see because it's the same damn plant that has gotten older and older and it's worn the fk out.
Think about it: the DNA of the plant can never change, but the environment and health are entirely up to the grower. It’s the old “nature vs. nurture” argument. Healthy plants will give off healthy cuttings, while stressed or diseased plants will give off weak and distressed ones. If something in its environment changes the health of that clone then yes it will suffer and so will a clone you take from it.
Keep growing you will......been at it for 45 years and it does happen, last time was a strain i had been growing for over 20 years, not grower error, new the strain very well it just played out. at present i have 12 strains different going.

Keep growing you will......been at it for 45 years and it does happen, last time was a strain i had been growing for over 20 years, not grower error, new the strain very well it just played out. at present i have 12 strains different going.
What signs do the plants exhibit when they play out?

Latest posts

Back