Cold Weather = Purple Buds? (indoor plant)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekoostik_Hookah

420Member
Reaction score
im going to try a little experiment with 1 or 2 of the girls.

Since its kinda cold outside these days....and since plants tend to turn purple-ish when exposed to colder temps.
I was thinking that for the last few days before harvest, either on a few cold days; i would stick the girl(s) outside.....and/or put them outside at night when the temps are much colder than day time....( about 30-60 degrees at night).

If i did this, say at night; for say 3-4 days...think my plants may turn alittle purple?
Maybe it would be best if i put it outside on a sunny, cooler day... (45-51 degree day)??

I no when my lady gets cold. Her steams turn a purple color. I had no clue it would cause the buds to turn purple. I thought that was a strain thing.

1000694zl5.jpg

Yea it is very strain related......

But some strains also turn purple when exposed to cold temps during the end of flowering......soo i hear.

Ya my stems already went purple too.

anybody else have a guess on if it would work or not?

Or what if like, on the very last day of flowering, right b4 you harvest you put your plant into the fridge for awhile.... could that work for purple?....i bet if you somehow had a like CFL light inside the fridge, above the mj plant...it could possibly go purp.

But i think its more logical to just move the plant outside when its cold.....?
I need some answers dudes, i wana knooo

One more question....when i try this: do you guys think i should water the plant? so there is transporting inside the plant, when its in the colder climate?

Or..dont water?

ok, some plants have a genetic triat that causes the chloryphyll to change darker colors to collect more light later in growth. as the weather cools it tells the plant automaticly that winter is comming and its time to finish up. the color changes in those certian plants causing beautiful hues. these hues are used to collect as much spectrum thats getting put off by the diminishing sunlight that occurs after summer tward fall into winter. alot of plants of different species have this triat and isnt a phenomenon. if you give colder temps later in flowering some plants will purple but might not if temps didnt dip below normal. thats why grandaddy purp might not purple up in one growroom but might in another if its a clone, or even similar genetics. its all dependant on conditions.

the coloring of the chlorophyll does NOT increase potency .....only bag appeal.

thats all im really looking for, i just want some crazy good looking buds.
Not to sell...
I just like looking at pritty buds.....and mine are getting there, they are frosting up.....but a touch of purple would make them look sooo tasty:hubba:

I live where it gets very cold and not all buds will turn purple. I have grown some strains that turn purple at the end of the season and then some stay green even though they are grown at the same time in the same place and under the same conditions as the ones that turn purple. I have also grown a blueberry strain in my 80 degree closet that turned purple. I think it depends on the strain but the cold weather just helps sometimes.

i think high 40s to low 50s with the "cold nights" i think u put your plant outside in the 30s it'll never recover.

my baby turned purple on me the last few weeks of flowering. It was green up untill the point where fan leaves start to die off, but before they would die off they turned completely purple, check bpotm for my purple submission. I think most the time a plant is purple, is because of genetics, not temp. Ive herd people saying that it cold can be the cause, just never seen any proof behind that. Thanks and thats why ill be watching:D

guys what will change in the smoke if the plant turns purpole?? would the taste and the high cange? or its just the look..

thestandard said:
i think high 40s to low 50s with the "cold nights" i think u put your plant outside in the 30s it'll never recover.

ya, but i dont even care if it does recover.
as soon as it goes purple, im going to harvest the plant.
so if it went purple, but wouldnt ever grow again......then so be it....i just want sum purp nugs

i mean that it'll die if u put it in 30 degrees for 12 hours. Plant is like mostly water.. it'll freeze and die

right right,
alright.
well i think im going to put it out during the day when its around 48.
then do it on a night when its around 47-50 degrees....
we will see what happens, i will keep you posted.

i ve done this with my plants around 55 degrees and below they turn. if in doors u have a better chance to make buds diff. because u can have buds green sticky on the out side and deep purple on the inside and viseversa. only draw back is groth slows

ya i bet it does slow growth.....thats why im going to do it right b4 harvest time....:)

i allways heard that to go below 50 is bad but in the 40's thats pushin it

i allways did it for the first few weeks into flower because i allways liked a little purpple surprise in my buds. it only takes about a week to two weeks to start the change. o and i had the temp drop for the night cycle.

is it windy where ur at if so think about wind chill and a plant is like 60-70 percent water or something like that i know were im at wind chill changes every thing. there could be some down falls from gettin it cold

I was always under the assumption that even the strains that were prone to purple still required cooler temps at the end of their cycle. Well this thread has me monitoring my temps a little closer. I am EARLY in flower and don't want any slow growth we know can be associated with the cold.

Latest posts

Back