COMPLETELY stumped...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peter23

ok so over the past month i have though of probably 500 different ideas for a grow area/lights plan.. and STILL havent found the perfect solution.. I have been posting like crazy maybe annoying some of you :D (sorry) but this thread is my attempt at ending it all and deciding on the right idea.. i will tell you all my conditions and spacing and goal and if you guys could help point me in the right direction? :) so this is my ENTIRE BREAKDOWN.. please if you are going to disscourage my ideas or tell me i just shouldnt grow, PLEASE do not even respond.. i've been told 1000 different times that i cant do something but another person will say its possible.. so PLEASE just give me an idea on what i should do.. i have a 17x15x30 rubber maid for a box but am thinking about just building one outta plywood not much bigger though.. maybe a 24x24x40 but basically i want to grow a couple lowryder plants on rotation.. maybe 2-4 plants... i can put my box either in my garage attic or the back of my closet.. the closet is a about 8 feet tall 3.5 feet wide and about 20 inches deep. it is on the complete opposite side from the door leading outside and i'm having trouble thinking of a way to get frsh air in there.. but in my attic i have a window right to the fresh outside air that i could intake and exhaust from easily.. i have thought of ideas like having a box in my closet for first couple weeks of growth (almost like a veg box) and have the flower box in the attic with two plants in each.. but people tell me that a space like this is way to small for a HPS BUTTTTTT people also tell me that HPS is the ONLY way to go and im basically wasting my time growing with CFLS.. all i want is to be able to flower around 15-20 g's a plant.. is that possible with CFLS?

any ideas or help is appreciated..

thanks,
Pete

I would go with 150 watt hps in the flower box, for sure. Much better light output that cfl's. My 150 watt hps came with a tempered glass shield allowing me to get the plants about 3 inches from the bulb so I think that will help. You're definitely going to need some fresh air and exhaust going to combat the heat. Also, for the boxes, make them as big as you possibly can. A few extra inches on all your measurements will definitely help out. I would also use the plywood. Much safer, IMHO. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Take care and be safe.

ok guys heres another one i just thought up... do you think i could stick a 150W HPS in a plywood box 16x24 inches and 3 feet tall? this is the light ive been looking at (hxxp://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49255) .. comes with tempered glass so heat shouldn't be terrible? plus i plant to cool the hood with an exhaust fan and flange at the top?

sound Do-able?

Thanks!,
Pete

yea,or i recommend hydrowholesale.com i got my lights from them in a few days and they stood behind there products and delivery time like they were supposed to.its a company out of College Park,Georgia.USA
A lady with a sexy voice will pick up usually.at first you think you accidentally called for a stripper.theyre good people though.i talked to one of them about inside sun and they said insidesun ballasts are refurbish... supposedly...akthough ive heard of a few people likeing their 400 watt hps from them though so im not sure what to believe but id go with them hydrowholesale,or htgsupply..they would be your best bet.you can put a light just about anywhere,as long as you have air circulating in and out of the box and air running through either your hood,or through a hurricane or a pyrex baking tube..you just need to beable to keep your temps/humidity at the right level so your plants wont be stressed.Make sure you have your hps secure on the top of your box with eye hooks and chains.i would even contribute a 2x4 on it to hang it upi get it all at home depot,lowes,or Menards.i definitly recommend using plywood to make it.remember your wholes for your duct.also,make sure the box is completly dark..no light leaks what so ever. hope this helps ya out and good luck.let us know what you come up with.

Peter23 said:
ok guys heres another one i just thought up... do you think i could stick a 150W HPS in a plywood box 16x24 inches and 3 feet tall? this is the light ive been looking at.. comes with tempered glass so heat shouldn't be terrible? plus i plant to cool the hood with an exhaust fan and flange at the top?

sound Do-able?

Thanks!,
Pete
i would go with at least 4-5 ft tall.you dont want your plants to be bunched up.give your buds some room to breath and absorb light

reason is because you you gotta contribute in the size of your pots or system set up,plus your length between your light and tops.plus you dont want your light hugging the top of your box.a bigger box is safer and if its an illegal grow..does it really if leo finds a 3 or a 5 ft box?...

HPS will always be better for flowering however if heat and space is an issue and you have no other choice... you can go with a 125w or 150w CFL and get Excellent results. The temperature of the bulb is important and come in the 2700K, or 5600K, however for flowering purposes you should stay at 2700k. If you are planning a separate veg chamber... i may suggest the 125w or 150w CFL 14000k Bulb. It does wonders for vegging as by looking at the temperature is a very "cool" bulb.

I am currently Vegging in a 130w 14000k CFL bulb.
I had about 10 plants in there, 4-8 inches big... great results.. check out the journal and see for yourself...

By the way... that setup saved my crop... i was lighting with a 400 MH (before trying a lot of different things) and the girls suffered... a few days on the new CFL setup and things started to change for the better...

Good Luck!

yea,you could do a cfl grow..or even just veg under some flour tubes.(i use a double tubed 4 ft flour shop light.i get fixture and bulbs for $15 at either home depot,menards, or walmart (a.k.a. wally world)

a 400 watt in a 2 by 2 box a 400w would be a little much...for heat id stick with a 70-100 or a 150. plenty for 20g perplant.

the heat in the attic is my main concern.

sorry folks i forgot to post a link to the light ive been looking at.. I edited the original post buthere it is again (hxxp://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49255)

BUT!? how much CFL light do you think i would need to yield 10-20 g's a plant? the CFLS that im using now are soft white which i think are 5000k? would these work from seed to harvest for lowryders? cause i have 300w and about 20000 lumens of CFL light... would that be enough?

thanks,
Pete

trillions of atoms said:
the heat in the attic is my main concern.

true but im figuring since i ordered my seeds last week i wouldn't have the HPS in the attic going until about october cause i'm going to keep them in my closet until ready for flowering.. would i have to be concerned with it becoming too cold? or will the light definatly provide enough heat if that was a concern?

thanks,
Pete

yes, at night is when the temps will dip...but if you throw a heat mat for the rootzone you might be alright....

i have a 400 w mh in a 2x2x4 tent for veg and its all good.the dang thing barely fits in the tent,but it kicks on growth.my reflector pushes out each side of the tent due to the ducting on both ends.but it sure produces some growth.

Hey Peter23 just so you know I live in cali where its usually hot. I currently have a box that I made from osb 2x2x3 with a 150w HPS Its in my garage and it gets so hot in there that its not making it easy to keep my box temps down. Im using a 6in vortex to exhaust and a 4in vortex for intake and my temps are 80-90 all the time. Im going to relocate after this grow because these temps are going to mess up my buds for sure. If your going to consider using the attic then remember that heat travels up so choose your intake and exhause fans wisely. I got 1/2oz per plant last grow when the season out here was cooler now it just sucks. I veg until there 6in then flower. If your ever going to consider bigger plants in the future then construct a bigger box. Your Idea of having a box in the closet for veg and a box in the attic for flower is a great idea because you can get easy access to fresh air wise choice. I would do that unless you want to cut holes in the walls or floor. If for now you just want the 150w then a 2x2 is a good length and width but make your height 4ft tall your going to need the extra space. Make sure your intake is at the bottom and exaust on top so you get good air travel. start small then work your way up. buy some grow books dude. I must have bought every grow book there is except for the DVDs out there and I still go back and read what everyone does. Dont let this be your only way to learn.

Peter23 said:
true but im figuring since i ordered my seeds last week i wouldn't have the HPS in the attic going until about october cause i'm going to keep them in my closet until ready for flowering.. would i have to be concerned with it becoming too cold? or will the light definatly provide enough heat if that was a concern?

thanks,
Pete

The light will provide enough heat when it is on. You will probably need to pull in cool air from outside to cool the light. However, you will most likely have to provide heat during the time the light is off.

My advice is get 6 42w 2700k cfl's or a 250w hps and do a 12/12 from seed environment. Just leave the light on 12/12 for the life of the plant. This is better than lowryder because you can grow all types of plants and easily have a perpetual harvest.

Latest posts

Back