cooling the grow room in mid summer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a very old farmhouse - there was no A/C when I first moved in. I'm still putting new walls in the main floor. Anyway I have one of the "spot coolers" on this floor and it works very well. There are two hoses that have to go to a window - one is the intake and the other is the exhaust. The A/C unit comes with a plastic slide to fit the hoses to a window. I made a better sealing rig out of two inch insulation board. I used the same insulation board to exhaust my tent grow out a window - I also added a dryer vent to help prevent back-flow when the fan is off.
1st pic is of A/C unit
2nd pic is of the intake and exhaust hoses - the expand like an accordion
3rd pic is the insulation board for intake and exhaust hoses
4th pic is my tent exhaust with dryer vent - need to paint it white to match the window
Hope this helps.
Chip :farm:

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

@Unlimitedblackx
i see.

are you venting it into your house or is that wall going outside? i dont use my filter much, i used it mostly so dust didnt collect in the hoods more than i did for smells.

how big are the exhaust tubes, im guessing 6"? wonder if those new K&N filter looking things would work for a filter, not sure if you can blow out of them though and not sure how you could filter the intake side, also the unit i got dont stat the CFM like some do in the description, so not sure if it would have enough power to blow through a normal carbon filter. im guessing its around 235cfm or so since they say rooms up to 200sqft.

mine is going to be vented through the celing of a basement and to the outside of the house like a dryer/furnace/water heater vent (instead of out a window), going to do the same thing with main room/light exhaust. not to worried about smells personally, but i can see how that effects some people when using the one tube a/c

PuffinNugs said:
@Unlimitedblackx
i see.

are you venting it into your house or is that wall going outside? i dont use my filter much, i used it mostly so dust didnt collect in the hoods more than i did for smells.

how big are the exhaust tubes, im guessing 6"? wonder if those new K&N filter looking things would work for a filter, not sure if you can blow out of them though and not sure how you could filter the intake side, also the unit i got dont stat the CFM like some do in the description, so not sure if it would have enough power to blow through a normal carbon filter. im guessing its around 235cfm or so since they say rooms up to 200sqft.

mine is going to be vented through the celing of a basement and to the outside of the house like a dryer/furnace/water heater vent (instead of out a window), going to do the same thing with main room/light exhaust. not to worried about smells personally, but i can see how that effects some people when using the one tube a/c
Behind the wall you see is attic space, i vent in there !! both my room's are in the attic of my small A frame house. I really wish i had a basement. I believe it's 5" hoses.....on mine anyways !! Not to sure about the filter's your talking about, all i know is that there not for smell !!

unlimitedblackx said:
Behind the wall you see is attic space, i vent in there !! both my room's are in the attic of my small A frame house. I really wish i had a basement. I believe it's 5" hoses.....on mine anyways !! Not to sure about the filter's your talking about, all i know is that there not for smell !!

yeah the filters im talking about are for smell, they are relativly new. i think novellechef and others have a thread going somewhere on here about them.

attic has to suck in the summer, i couldnt even imagine growing in mine, i can see how the single vent a/c isnt enough for you.

edit: i found it http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55096&highlight=filter+test

I have 2 1/2 month to go on this grow then ill take a break t'ill September !! I need to invest in 2 8"XXL air cooled reflector's i think would make a big difference in my room, and a nice big 8" exhaust fan to go with that and an 8" intake fan that blows air from the crawl space i have under my house !! Then bring on the summer month !! let's not forget the can 100 :holysheep: growing is expensive :eek:

I actually have a question to add. Ive ben planning on getting an ac unit for the room i use also. my problem is a light leak one. right now the window is covered with only the out exhaust blowing out the window. would it be easier to just sit the unit on a table in the room? or is it possible to avoid the light leak with it in the window? The heat is a pretty serious issue with a 1000w and no other way to bring in cooler air. fyi price is not an issue. im willing to spend to earn.

Mamba3164 said:
I actually have a question to add. Ive ben planning on getting an ac unit for the room i use also. my problem is a light leak one. right now the window is covered with only the out exhaust blowing out the window. would it be easier to just sit the unit on a table in the room? or is it possible to avoid the light leak with it in the window? The heat is a pretty serious issue with a 1000w and no other way to bring in cooler air. fyi price is not an issue. im willing to spend to earn.

if its a window a/c then i dont see how it would work on a shelf. the portable ones need a place to vent the hot air somewhere, the window adaptor can be blacked out.

also what kind of hood/feflectors do you use and your exhaust fan.

im running 2000watts in a 5x5 atm and with my Hydrofarm Radiant 6 (claim to be the coolest on market, i believe it after using) big hoods they are hardly warm to the touch when properly ventilated.

i think a big oversight people have is thier hood choice. the more expenisve ones are well worth the price. liek HTGsupply gear, while good for starting up, there stuff really does have lower quailty.

heres exact ones im using, ive tried 3 differnt kinds and these blow all them away in terms of quality and cooling. hxxp://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=7685, they even sell heat shield covers to cool them even further, but they really dont need it.

my issue is the room not my tent. there is no ac in the apt at all. and its a second floor so all the heat rises. the temp outside is usually 10 degrees lower than the apt. i want to cool the room. there are non window units but they seem like more work. i use a passive intake so i dont have to change my tents set up at all. if you have a window unit in a blacked out room id love the link. and or a non window unit.

check out Hamolfarms pictures in this thread, those are great. see how the window attachment he has setup, what you would do is paint the insides black, and like he's doing paint the outside part to match your window frame then no light will be getting through.

most of those style portable a/c have around 6' of vent ive read.

also unlimtedblackx's pictures in this thread show how he's venting through the wall, no light leaks there either.

I made a vent room, I put up a wall about 3 feet from an outside wall with a window, my AC and lights are both pumped into the "Vent Room" i couldnt have the exhaust directly in a window because neighbours could see/hear it, the vent room has a window fan exhausting the vent room.

Room design.png

ill put the ac in the window and place a very large box on the inside surrounding it. then ill place a few L shaped vent holes to allow the air to circulate. I can still run the out through the box directly to the window.

dman1234 said:
Its not a direct answer to the question but.....I gave up, it became alot of work and in summer there are things to do outside, I just wanna grow like mad Sept-May and shut it down, but thats just me.
:yeahthat: :goodposting: +rep

I'm in a basement that mostly stays in the low 70's, except when it gets up around 100 and gets up to 78 or so. I run a adjust-a-wing because the basement is so cool and use the heat to warm the basement.

Sept-May works ok-fine and besides I'm pretty busy with my outdoor garden.

dman is totally correct, too much work and too much $$$$$ to try and deal with those 3 months.

Wet

Latest posts

Back