Creating Feminized Seeds - The Right Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
papabeach1 said:
like u said one of the crop will turn to hermie if theres is no males around?

Can you quote where I said that so I can see what I wrote? We didn't talk about males being in the presence of females to keep them from turning into a hermie, I think you have taken something out of context or I said something incorrectly?

THCPezDispenser said:
The hermie genetic trait is thought to be a survival characteristic of marijuana. It is a reaction to poor growing conditions where a female plant “feels” that there is a poor chance of a natural fertilization of its buds by an external male. As a result, the plant will take the dramatic emergency measure of producing both male & female flowers in a last ditch effort to reproduce itself.

that might happen in my experiences

so therefore see why I ain't excited! and want to do my best to avoid for females to be hermie its last thing I want them to be hermie.. and its last thing I want to call dutch seed lol help!

Sorry, I see why you thought that. By "feel" I meant that due poor growing conditions such as a messed up light schedule, variances in ideal temperatures, etc. the plant reacts by producing male flowers itself. As far as I know, it has no way to know if a male is close or not. Think of it like the plant thinking "this is a miserable spot to live, perhaps no other mj plants are able to survive here and I'm the lucky one? I better make my own pollen just in case..." Of course plants don't think, but the analogy demonstrates the reaction of the plant and why plants may turn into hermies.

yeah thanks pez for clearing it up.. you scared me for a few days I said let it be a one male... but end up with all females.. let me transform myself as one female.. and look back the history of my light period of time... yea has lot of lights.. and did reversed 12/12 for few weeks, then back to 18/6 as what pez followed, then female caylx and pistols appeared... rumors says papa gonna put us in 24/7... so we should be OK? papa kills hermies ya know?

im high....
have you tried 'G. acid on a male plant? would it produce a bud? and make Male'ized seeds?
if it does, someone should do it, grow a Male'ized and a Femed plant and breed the two, its too weird IM FREAKIN OUT!

....."STELLAR" advice :D

THCPezDispenser said:
Papa,

There is no quick answer for this. Breeding correctly is an advanced topic, and not understanding the long deep explainations means you probably need some more time, research and experience before you go taking on making feminized seeds.

To answer your question, if these 10 plants have a strong hermie trait, there is nothing you can do about that. There is no magical way to reverse this. We have been talking about eliminating hermies from a successive breeding line, and this could take 100's of plants and possibly years depending on the size of your setup and the quality of the plants you are evaluating.

If you are just trying to grow weed for yourself, buy seeds from a reputable dealer, and create mother's to clone from. Care for the plants well based on all the great advice you can find in this forum. In the course of growing out the plants, if you find any of the clones hermie, destroy the originating mother plant as she is has a hermie tendency, and there is nothing you can do about it.

canibanol cannonball said:
im high....
have you tried 'G. acid on a male plant? would it produce a bud? and make Male'ized seeds?
if it does, someone should do it, grow a Male'ized and a Femed plant and breed the two, its too weird IM FREAKIN OUT!

GA effects the ethylene levels and produces "staminate" flowers, I don't think i works vice-versa. (forces a staminate plant to produce pistillate flowers) Maybe Dutch masters "Reverse" would be a better product to attempt that experiment with ;)

........but like PEZ said above..
Breeding correctly is an advanced topic, and not understanding the long deep explainations means you probably need some more time, research and experience

I'll be totally honest here, there is a LOT that I simply do not know or understand about actual "breeding". And without an in depth understanding of genetics, and how/why incomplete dominance, co-dominance, dominate, recessive, alleles, genes, ect. characteristics/traits are expressed and or effected, you aren't "breeding" you're just makeing seeds. Which is fine, if you do it for your own entertainment purposes, or for your own experience.
An undertanding or history, genetic makeup, of the strain that you are going to work with is important. The breeder, his 'selection' process, how vigorous his elimination process was, ect. That should give you "some" insite into the strains stability. The genetic makeup of the plant, strain.. .
An understanding and experience of growinng the same strain, same plants from cuts a few times, should be employed. That should further enlighten you on the strains ability or lack of, to endure varied conditions, stress, ect. and the effects.

"Learn to crawl, then learn to walk, then learn to run,...THEN enter a marathon"

Yes, I like it too. To be fair I didn't come up with it, I dug it up somewhere and had it in my notes as a great idea for identifying good breeding stock.

papabeach, I hate to say it, but if you got 10/10 females at this point, that isn't a good thing for breeding.. Bag seed is often (perhaps usually) the result of female polination from a mystery herm.. Mystery herms are often easy herms likely to carry on the trait, and even if it was the result of immense stress on a suitable candidate, feminized seeds of ANY origin usually aren't the most desirable breeding candidates..

:ciao: Hows it going THC?....have anything new on this subject?..thanks..:bong: :argue: :bong: :stoned:

in HT Sensi Seeds has been advertizing 100% female seeds:hubba: they claim thats why they havent got into the feminized market. they were waiting till they could produce a steady female line. how true this is i dont know but when i looked them up to order some they did say feminized not female like they advertise maybe there just covering there ***

No, nothing new. I am nearly finished my new grow room so I haven't started anything yet, and it is going to be small since I figure I am selling this house in the new year. Will have to wait and see what the new digs will be able to provide to give me some room to experiment (without cutting into my personal production, of course :) ). I think this thread did attract a lot of good discussion and I am happy about that. I think the main question mark that came out of this thread is how "normal" is female pollen...something I don't think I will have the know-how to answer, so I'll have to settle for emperical evidence :)

Pothead420 said:
how true this is i dont know but when i looked them up to order some they did say feminized not female like they advertise maybe there just covering there ***

This is not surprising, not sure how you could sustain a "natural" female population without some sort of manipulation (aka feminization), they are probably claiming that they did it in a proper way like mentioned in this thread or with silver and a stringent selection process (to me I think would mean what they said - creating a steady female line without hermies).

Nobody, selling any seeds, feminized or not can legitimately make that claim.. If I were them I'd advertise them as simply the most herm resistant seeds out there.. (And hopefully that claim would actually be valid)..

It just occurred to me, there is one way that SS could claim zero possibilty of herm (or rather zero possibility of polination, and that would be by breeding a tetraploid with a diploid to get a batch of sterile triploid plants.. They may grow the flowers, but under no circumstances could they be part of seed production desired or not..

fem seeds suck. Excuse the language. I grew Dutch Passion Blueberry fems in two totally different environments with different nute levels. One room ran 78 degrees 2000w of light in an aero set-up at 1400 ppm. They never showed any sign of stress and hermied @ week 7. Second room was alot smaller 800w of light 85 degrees with CO2 and a PPM 800. No signs of stress again but they hermied @ 7 weeks once again.

It doesn't work like that... Polyploids are very rare, even in seeds that have been chemically treated because it is a mutation... Breeding a polyploid with a diploid does not produce a sterile triploid, that is a fact... The resulting offspring will in turn be weak diploids that have a higher tendancy then normal to display these types of mutations... I have no idea why you would think that the male offspring would be sterile???

born2killspam said:
It just occurred to me, there is one way that SS could claim zero possibilty of herm (or rather zero possibility of polination, and that would be by breeding a tetraploid with a diploid to get a batch of sterile triploid plants.. They may grow the flowers, but under no circumstances could they be part of seed production desired or not..

From Wikipedia:
Since chromosome segregation is driven by microtubules, colchicine is also used for inducing polyploidy in plant cells during cellular division by inhibiting chromosome segregation during meiosis; half the resulting gametes therefore contain no chromosomes, while the other half contain double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e., diploid instead of haploid as gametes usually are), and lead to embryos with double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e. tetraploid instead of diploid). While this would be fatal in animal cells, in plant cells it is not only usually well tolerated, but in fact frequently results in plants which are larger, hardier, faster growing, and in general more desirable than the normally diploid parents; for this reason, this type of genetic manipulation is frequently used in breeding plants commercially. In addition, when such a tetraploid plant is crossed with a diploid plant, the triploid offspring will be sterile, which may be commercially useful in itself by requiring growers to buy seed from the supplier, but also can often be induced to create a "seedless" fruit if pollinated (usually the triploid will also not produce pollen, therefore a diploid parent is needed to provide the pollen). This is the method used to create seedless watermelons, for instance. On the other hand, colchicine's ability to induce polyploidy can be exploited to render infertile hybrids fertile, as is done when breeding triticale from wheat and rye. Wheat is typically tetraploid and rye diploid, with the triploid hybrid infertile. Treatment with colchicine of triploid triticale gives fertile hexaploid triticale.

Latest posts

Back