Day or Night...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiegy2k

Reaction score
Just wondering what times of the day people put their lights on during 12/12? Im sure most people have them on for when they're most likely to need to go in the room but just wondering given the choice what would you do? Any particular reason?

I've been googling about CO2 levels and times of days because i've got an intake fan pulling in 230cfm from outside but not sure if i'd be better off pulling in air at night or during the day... Without posting the links I've learnt that CO2 levels can be complicated buggers due to there being so many factors. I would of thought daytime would be best due to lots of human activity but the 'experts' say they found higher levels of CO2 just before dawn than they did mid afternoon and they were also higher during the weekdays than the weekends.........

My issue is that coming in to winter I don't know if I can keep the room (attic) that my 'box' is in warm enough to have the lights off during the night (i'd put the intake on the light timer so they both turn off at the same time). I would prefer to have the lights on during the day maybe a 9am to 9pm but it depends on what the temps drop down to during the night (yet to take a reading - plus it's getting colder by the day)..

Any other attic growers out there mind sharing their experiences? just where it's a remote site I can't get there often to do much testing so trying to get my plan of actions sorted before I go there..

Cheers everyone...

Lights on at 10pm till 10am will keep your attic warm during the night and give you time in the morning to go in while lights are on if you need to do anything ;)

:peace:

I'm on the opposite end- I grow in the basement. I'm sure it doesn't get quite as cold as your attic, but- when I go 12/12 I have me lights on 6pm to 6am. I'm usually home during those hours. Being cooler at night, the lights help keep the temps up.

As far as CO2, that's a whole other issue. Bare in mind co2 is heavier than o2, so I don't know how that works for the attic. Good luck to you.

well I do 6am to 6 pm. The reason I do it is, thats when most people use their electricity, less likely to draw attention and FLIR is useless during the day time. I've got copters buzzing my area this time of year, at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Cheers ppl, Should of mentioned that during the week I can't get to the place until 8pm (weekends anytime which is when I intend on doing most of my gardening). I have someone nearby that if push comes to shove I can send round there to check on a few bits but don't want to have to ask those favours too much.

All valid points above, thanks.. guess im gonna have to go for the overnight cycle then as Hippy says it'll keep it warm and the temps is the overall issue I need to keep an eye on... Well that and getting caught!

You know what umbra, I never knew that about FLIR being useless during the daytime, something to keep in mind. Power use shouldn't be a big problem as im only running 2 fans and a 600w but like you say I'd prefer to be drawing that during the day.

BBFan, yeah thats why I was researching the subject and like you say it's heavier so thought I might want to be pulling in air when it's at it's most CO2 abundant (excuse my spelling!)

Thanks again, at least thats 1 decision sorted!

umbra said:
well I do 6am to 6 pm. The reason I do it is, thats when most people use their electricity, less likely to draw attention and FLIR is useless during the day time. I've got copters buzzing my area this time of year, at least 3 or 4 times a day.

I hadnt thought of that. That might be the best reason to have lights on during the day.

I was thinking (before I read that) that it would be best to run the lights at nightime because the tempatures would be lower.

Ideally im thinking lights on 10am to 10pm... Any suggestions on how to keep the ambient room temps just warm enough for the ladies to survive the nights? And its about 15C it can go down to if memory serves me right? Or it simply a case of whacking a couple of heaters up there? Sorry about all the questions, just after a smoke the thought of thermal copters going overhead seems a likely reality!

robbiegy2k said:
Cheers ppl, Should of mentioned that during the week I can't get to the place until 8pm (weekends anytime which is when I intend on doing most of my gardening). I have someone nearby that if push comes to shove I can send round there to check on a few bits but don't want to have to ask those favours too much.

Where in the world are you growing that you do not have access 24 hours a day? To me this sounds like a really bad idea. If you do not have access to your space 24/7, I think you should give some real consideration to waiting until you have an appropriate place to grow. Also, you have already broken the number 1 rule in growing--tell NO ONE!

The difference in CO2 during different times of the day is most likely not significant enough to even worry about.

Ahhh thanks for the concern HG :)

Okay well without obviously going into detail unless im at work im otherwise just a 'bit of a drive' away and can go in 24/7. The 2 people (yeah I broke it twice! ;) ) that know about it are as kosher and stone mouthed as they come so it's not even a second thought to me - and of course they've chipped in :D

Oh and thanks for putting my mind at ease about the CO2 difference - you know I take your word as gospel, I know, you know your stuff!

I use light from 7pm-1pm then off during the peak hours to save money since they charge more for electric then..big impact on my bill.

I work the night shift so I have my lights turn on 30 min after I arrive home then turn off when I leave. I like to have the lights on when I'm home just for security. I also live in an apt which I don't recommend doing.

Latest posts

Back