Distilled water ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using distilled water from 2 different stores and the ph can be all over the place. I test every gallon because it seems they all don't come from the same "batch" and ph can be anywhere from a 4 to a 7. Usually, they are around 6-6.5 but I don't count on it.

I use a reverse osmosis deionized filter here in the house to make ice cubes, beverages and for cooking. I also use it on my plant. We all love it. I tested several bottled distilled waters and they had tds of 15-30ppm, then I tested my ro water and came up with a tds of 1-2 ppm My ro water has less total dissolved solids in it than the store bought distilled :hubba:

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
i havent taken a ph meter to the distilled bottled water im gettin from walmart.i was using ro water from a locally owned grocery store until i noticed my plants reactin to the ph level of it. i didnt get a chance to grab up some ph up or ph down yet,so im just usin what i can until then.my plants are like this distilled water though.i only have three 4'' skunk 1 haze plants right now,so i've only had to buy one gallon so far,but once i get my other strains goin,i'll be usin more. i'll only tested with these ph test strips so i dont know if my calculations are even legit,but this distilled is changing the strip to a color that is equal to about 5.5-6.0,the r.o. water i was gettin changes the strip to a color equal to 7.0 i havent bought a more expensive bottle yet,i'll have to buy the most expensive bottle of distilled water when i go to the store,then i'll test it and if it test out alright,i'll give it a whirl and see how it does.im almost positive it'll do just as good as this cheap stuff.-peace

I would be real suspect of this "RO" water--there is something wrong here. I don't know what your local grocery store is trying to sell, but RO water is very close to distilled. If you were having trouble with the RO water, my guess is that it is not actually RO water. I would love to see the PPM of this RO water. Distilled water should be closer to 7 pH.

I will be running a test tonight on the ppm and ph of my city water ran through a Brita filter and post the results. The distilled water I have is 11 ppm and the ph is 6.7 on average. This is after testing five gallons with a Hahn unit. I am just wondering what benefits I would get using distilled versus tap in my resevoirs, especially since they will need to be changed once a week.

note: I also left the five gallons of filtered tap water out with no lids to evap any chlorine the filter did not remove. It states in the booklet it removes chlorine, but we all know that the book could mean 99%.

The pH on the RO Distilled water I have been getting from walmart has been a consistent 5.7-6 but nothing higher than 6. Most of it is a combination of steam and RO from Cleveland city water if I read the bottle correctly. Using my GH Nutes I have not needed PH up or down at all, and my plants are growing 2" / week consistently right now. About 4" tall 2 weeks from seed in fact.

I say if you don't have a nice RO system for your city water you should buy distilled to remove the headache factor. My city water has mucho chemicals in it at reads a pH of 7.5 - 8!

I just picked up 2 gallons of steam distilled water, should last me a lil while considering im only doing one plant for now

ugmjfarmer said:
The pH on the RO Distilled water I have been getting from walmart has been a consistent 5.7-6 but nothing higher than 6. Most of it is a combination of steam and RO from Cleveland city water if I read the bottle correctly. Using my GH Nutes I have not needed PH up or down at all, and my plants are growing 2" / week consistently right now. About 4" tall 2 weeks from seed in fact.

I say if you don't have a nice RO system for your city water you should buy distilled to remove the headache factor. My city water has mucho chemicals in it at reads a pH of 7.5 - 8!

That is weird because I am not to far from you and my city water is 6.3 ph and the ppm ran through the brita filter is 92.

Latest posts

Back