DIY lighting question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenguy

Reaction score
So turns out I have access to an *** load of commercial electrical lighting equiptment for free... I have all the CFL's MH's and HPS you could ever want at my disposal plus all the pieces neccessary to rig the lights up. They are'nt lights made specifically for growing weed, but I am assuming thats not a problem...

The question is... what other peices are necessary to make my bulbs twinkle?

Please keep in mind that this is not "grow equipment" or in other words its not a pre packaged lighting system and I have no electrical experience...

every light needs a ballast to switch it on, then you'll need to add a reflector, if you can get an electrician to hook the lights up for you and teach you what he's doin it would be better as a start. however if the equipment at your disposal comes with instructions then you're fine hookin em up followin instructions. you can ask a specific question get pics of the light your gona use and ask about that light step by step it would be easier to help you ;)

Greenguy,

I have a thread on just that question linked in my signature. All I use is commercial HID lights converted to remote ballast set ups and there are many options for hoods/reflectors. There are also related threads on different DIY light setups and reflector/hoods in the DIY section that can be adapted to almost any kind of light.

ZEM, is pretty much correct that so long as you can turn it off or on, any commercial light of a given type can be used in a grow application; PROVIDED THAT IT IS A LIGHT OF A SUITABLE TYPE --i.e. CFL, MH or HPS and not Mercury Vapor, Halogen and so on.

You will find as many different recommendations on reflectors/hoods as you find growers ready to give the advice.

I suggest you check my thread on the conversion and the one on making your own 6" air cooled hood (they are linked in my signature) and then ask specific questions. Also, when you get into the specifics, detailed photos are a great help to everyone in getting appropriate advice to you.

If you are willing to live with slightly more heat and sometimes slightly more noise and always having to have type specific equipment rather than switchable ballasts, then converting commercial HID and CFLs is a very economic way to go. And of course recycling the commercial stuff rather than having it thrown away and new "grow" lighting built is much better for the environment.

I think I'll be seeing more from you and if you decide to go this route I'm sure you will be glad you did. I am paying $30 to $35 per commercial 400 watt HID and by the time I get them converted I have approximately $50 to $55 total invested plus on the average 3 hours of conversion labor, and that is a relaxed 3 hours -- it can be done in way less time than that if you want to really hustle.

Great smoking.

Latest posts

Back