Do whitetail like MJ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friend-of-a-friend

Reaction score
Hey ppl, I'm on my second round indoors, but am contemplating putting a crop outside this year. I have found what appears to be a perfect spot in that the soil is rich, theres a nearby clean water source, plenty of morning and direct sun, and NO PEOPLE! But as a result of so few ppl ever going there, the whitetail deer population is absurd. I cant go to my spot w/out spooking at least 15 or so deer every time. I have heard that whitetail deer have a taste for MJ, and I was wandering if this is true. And if so, what should I do to protect my crop, short of erecting any kind of visible barriers.

i used to grow outdoors and the deer love it here, seems to be a good snack to them, rabbits will eat what they can reach also. you can pee about two foot outside and around the grow area, the human scent spooks them,worked for me anyhow :farm:

yes they love it hehe..as the others mentioned if you pee around your grow spot works real well or you can just fill a 1 gallon jug with piss let it sit for a week or 2 then just spread that around lasts longer that way))

if your in a dry area rats will also eat the young shoots and they will also take buds lol(watched this happen 1 time while sitting in my spot)they take em for the moisture..throw out a watermelon once a week and they will go for the easier source.:D

good day

I have had fairly decent success by putting a bar of soap (I use Irish spring, but any scented kind should work) into a womans nylon stocking and hang it from a tree about chest high. Every time you visit your plants pour alittle water on it. You can hang as many as you think youll need. You can also try a sponge with some really rank calogne, then when you visit your plants bring a spray bottle of calonge to refresh the sponge.
Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas of your own.

they love it.
and i never found anything that worked to stop the buggers.
pee'd all around, had my dog with me all the time. hair, clothes, pepper spray. (didn't try soap in pantyhose though, thanks for that cubby)

glad they work for you.. maybe it's the deer here in BC are just as chronic as the people ;)

each week i shop and buy mince meat i ask for the extra blood in the bottom of the meat tray. and tip the blood into my container in the freezer then do you know what with it . but i piss all over the place to . and give my dog a hair cut to . and i cut my hair to ..well i will this year . only because the wifey had her turn last year and is still pretty bald ! but i gotta put a bit of a fence up to ..those damn koalas can't stick to their own stuff ! (i always wondered if they were stoners too ...red eyed little bast$%ds) well then theres the snakes too i think they've got some deal going on with kangaroo's...so yes i think the deer would love to get ripped and run around whacked out !..would'nt you if you were a deer? LOL kidding dude PEACE !

I want Koalas in my garden.:D Thier cute
My outdoor garden only has four plants so I grow in a 12X12 dog run with a chain link section for a roof ( it keeps out the damn raccoons) and a chain link floor ( 6 inches under the soil) to keep out rabbits it works pretty good. This year I'm gonna' try growing cucumbers on the fence ,why waste a perfectly good grow trelles?:)

doese howdy doody got wooden balls? ive straid from out door in my area because of the deer and cant keep em away they love it here:)

piss in a giant circle in that area. deer smell human scent and run. me and my brother hunt but some days he does not go so i take a walk and piss near his tree. he hasn't got one yet.

...best darn deer deterrent in the lower 48...;)

montanacat.jpg

dr pyro said:
piss in a giant circle in that area. deer smell human scent and run. me and my brother hunt but some days he does not go so i take a walk and piss near his tree. he hasn't got one yet.

How close do these deer have to get before you shoot them? If they have to get right up by the stand you guys must be really horrible shots.
I have deer who come up to the house and look right in the windows, I tell them get them @#$# otta' hear and they just stroll away like I'm a minor inconvienience.

Ok guys the human pee myth is just that a MYTH. Deer and every other animal in the woods will inspect a urine stain on the ground. It's in their nature to do so. Urine in the animal kingdom is used for diffrent things. Breeding, territory, storing foods. I have hunted for over 30 yrs and have studied this theory. I have went into the woods Pee'd on the ground and climbed in a tree and sat there and watched to see how many animals would come and inspect the urine stain. And every one that passed through did even the deer. The best way to keep any animal away from your plants is either use shunk urine/stink gland or fenceing. Skunks only spray the stinky stuff when danger is present and that alerts the others to stay away. And fenceing of course keeps them from reaching it. Do a test some time and put skunk urine out and see how many other animals come around. (except maybe the dogs that like to roll in the stink)...take care...

dr pyro said:
:holysheep: count me out ! as far as i know you need a giant schlong to piss in a giant circle :cry: ...what size giant circle are we talkin here ? i can run pretty fast !:bolt: and i can hold around 1/2 a gallon at best ! Would this be enough ? if i just run in a giant circle ?:D i am a white man ....its not my fault !

Sir_Tokie said:
Ok guys the human pee myth is just that a MYTH. Deer and every other animal in the woods will inspect a urine stain on the ground. It's in their nature to do so. Urine in the animal kingdom is used for diffrent things. Breeding, territory, storing foods. I have hunted for over 30 yrs and have studied this theory. I have went into the woods Pee'd on the ground and climbed in a tree and sat there and watched to see how many animals would come and inspect the urine stain. And every one that passed through did even the deer. The best way to keep any animal away from your plants is either use shunk urine/stink gland or fenceing. Skunks only spray the stinky stuff when danger is present and that alerts the others to stay away. And fenceing of course keeps them from reaching it. Do a test some time and put skunk urine out and see how many other animals come around. (except maybe the dogs that like to roll in the stink)...take care...
is it at all possible sir tokie that you send me 1/2 a cup or so ..;) of this skunk piss ..australia needs skunks:D it may be risky sending the whole skunk but an air tight container should suffice :D ill post my address on the coffee table in a new thread ! thankyou and heres a:bong: for all the effort involved !P.S this would save me from having to run in giant circles !

the deer usually only eat them when they are small but after they get a decent size they dont really bother them,,the leafs on mj sticks to there throats and chokes them,i know this because i watched them do it,and if they do decide to nibble on the plant.they are topping it for you lol a couple years ago i had four plants in one spot never pruned,topped nothing.came back to them in august and had colas everywhere and i had the same strain at another area and grew like a xmas tree..i now use the soap trick,pee trick,and the rifle trick lol im a hunter...and you can also take a dead animal or raw meat and put it about 10 yards from your plants i use fish..just dont put the meat/fish near the plant because other animals will digg it up..<the plant that is.....or tie fishing line at 2-4-6 feet high around your plants<>use stakes or surrounding trees..deer dont like invisable barriers.....trial and error is key use my advice if you please it works for me and should work for you...

I had a herd of elk take up residency in a little secluded valley where I had a guerilla grow a few years back. NOTHING deterred them once they got a taste. It really seemed as if they were seeking them out, almost.
Natural grass and browse was nearlly waist high, and they still tromped down my fences to get to them. They chewed them off at least 3-4 times over a 6 week period. Some, they yanked out by the roots.
It finally took a pack of dogs, a firearm, and an aggressive pursuit plumb into another drainage to alleviate the problem..

Latest posts

Back