Feeding seedlings ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddmachinist

Reaction score
The organic soil mix I have I believe has some nutrients , plus I added a small amount of compost to the mix . At what time do most start feeding with nutes?

Many store bought mixes may last 30 days. After that I would start looking to feed them.

pcduck said:
Many store bought mixes may last 30 days. After that I would start looking to feed them.

:yeahthat:

In organic growing consider it slow releasing chances of you getting a def is high
as it takes time for orgainc to break down AND PLANTS to upake good practice is to plant seedlings in a small container then after 2 weeks transplant into larger container on 3rd week plant is ready for a min 450 - 600 ppm of nutrient feeding

Personally, I looked for the cotyledon's to start yellowing noticeably. I used Sunshine Advanced Mix #4, and not organic, so my thoughts may be totally irrelevant.

Also, I did a 1/4 strength mix of nutes for the first feedings.

Be extra carefull putting seedlings into soil that has compost. I put well rooted cuttings that were already feeding into composted soil and fried them like winter wheat in a summer drout. I would put the seedlings in a smaller container like Doc said but use only unnuted organic soil. By about 3-4wks they should be ready to go into bigger containers with the compost mixed in. If you make up your ammended organic soil now, and mix in some mycho and ZHO then keep it moist and turn it every couple days until the plants are ready, it will be in much better shape to maintain the health of the plants because the microbes will have the time to get established and will have plenty of nutrients already chelated and waiting on the plants. :)

Latest posts

Back