Feminised.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStickyIcky

Fear and Loathing.
Reaction score
I don't know if it is this simple or not. But, from what I have read feminised seeds are made from stressing a female out to the of becoming a hermie and collecting the pollen from that and then pollenating another female. Is that right? If thats the case, what is the best way to stress the female out to this point?

Thats basically what I read as well. Ask a few members how to do it... Shuggy should know lol. Check his grow journal and mimmic it lol, JP man, I couldn't resist.

"stressing" isn't the proper method gor reversing sex to produce femminised seeds. A stressed plant that hermies "is contaminated" with the hermi genetics. IMHO...only plants that have been stressed and did not hermie, should be used for producing hermies.. Both the donor and the recieving plant should be "true females" resistant to hermophradism.
I am a firm believer that "hermies procreate hermies"...hermi genetics are a huge detriment to mj's genetic pool.
Sex reversal can then be accomplished with chemicals, silver sulfate and giberillic(sp) acid are the two most common.

Did a little research and found out you dont want a hermaphrodite plant to make seeds what you want is called a polyploid which means is has more than the usual two sets of chromosomes. This type of hermaphrodites may have xxy (triploid) or xxyy or xxxy(tetraploid)sex chromosomes. This type of plant does not ocurr in nature but breeders have been successful with ALKALOID COLCHICINE in making these plants. Sorry I couldnt find a guide to do this..hope this gets you started. Colchicine is a comercially used chemical I hear is very good for this and other uses here is a link to a different thread with this same subject http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13606

Google Colchicine if your in dout it can be very usefull.

breeders have been successful with ALKALOID COLCHICINE
You'd need thousands of seeds to make polyploids this way. Colchicine kills most of the seeds that are treated with it and is very, highly poisonous. I would not recommend using this stuff. Go with the silver or ga.

bombbudpuffa said:
You'd need thousands of seeds to make polyploids this way. Colchicine kills most of the seeds that are treated with it and is very, highly poisonous. I would not recommend using this stuff. Go with the silver or ga.

I have never heard of this:yeahthat: and have heard good things about this for Botanical use. I copied this from Wkiipedia :
[edit] Botanical use

Since chromosome segregation is driven by microtubules, colchicine is also used for inducing polyploidy in plant cells during cellular division by inhibiting chromosome segregation during meiosis; half the resulting gametes therefore contain no chromosomes, while the other half contain double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e., diploid instead of haploid as gametes usually are), and lead to embryos with double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e. tetraploid instead of diploid). While this would be fatal in animal cells, in plant cells it is not only usually well tolerated, but in fact frequently results in plants which are larger, hardier, faster growing, and in general more desirable than the normally diploid parents; for this reason, this type of genetic manipulation is frequently used in breeding plants commercially. In addition, when such a tetraploid plant is crossed with a diploid plant, the triploid offspring will be sterile (which may be commercially useful in itself by requiring growers to buy seed from the supplier) but can often be induced to create a "seedless" fruit if pollinated (usually the triploid will also not produce pollen, therefore a diploid parent is needed to provide the pollen). This is the method used to create seedless watermelons, for instance. On the other hand, colchicine's ability to induce polyploidy can be exploited to render infertile hybrids fertile, as is done when breeding triticale from wheat and rye. Wheat is typically tetraploid and rye diploid, with the triploid hybrid infertile. Treatment with colchicine of triploid triticale gives fertile hexaploid triticale.

From MJ Botany-"Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments. Colchicine is a poisonous compound extracted from the roots of certain colchicum species; it inhibits chromosome segregation to daughter cells and cell wall formation, resulting in larger than average daughter cells with multiple chromosome sets." "Colchicine is nearly always lethal to cannabis seeds, and in treatment there is a very fine line between polyploidy and death. In other words, if 100 viable seeds are treated with colchicine and 40 of them germinate it is unlikely thet the treatment induced polyploidy in any of the survivors. On the other hand, if 1000 viable seeds give rise to 3 seedlings, the chances are better that they are polyploid since the treatment killed all of the seeds but those three."

Try this link
It gives the dosages and tells the mortality rate between 0 and 44% is what I got from scanning depending on dosage and exposure time.

I dont want an arguement but I do like seeing correct info get out to people.
What false info have I given? The name of the thread is Feminised not polyploidy. A polyploid has nothing to do with fem seeds. A triploid, for example, is a polyploid. A polyploid is a plant that has an extra chromosome so it has an extra leaf/calyx or two. Like, instead of your regular 2 leaves that come out of a seedling, a triploid will have 3. Btw, those links are for experiments on plants other than cannabis. Probably why the results differ.

Soma has a way of feminized seeds by manipulating the photoperiod on high times. Robert Clarke has the gibberlic (sp) Acid method.

I personally don't beleive in altering the genetics of the plant myself. A male is just as valuable as a female...esp. a late flowering male. They are gold to me.

I stand by one tried and true method. plant 10 seeds from a pack. Get one or two very healthy females and clone the hell outa her.

BTW Bombbudpuffa is correct.

wikipedia said:
Polyploidy is the condition of some biological cells and organisms manifested by the presence of more than two homologous sets of chromosomes. Polyploid types are termed according to the number of chromosome sets in the nucleus: triploid (three sets; 3x), tetraploid (four sets; 4x), pentaploid (five sets; 5x), hexaploid (six sets; 6x) and so on.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Mutt, I agree to an extent. But, with outdoor growing its almost impossible to clone effectively. I would have to bring it back home with me which involves a lot of risk, not to mention I could only carry a couple.

bombbudpuffa my honest apology. Im glad you spoke up really, I broke out my old growers book and when I read the chapter I realized I was mistaken qiute badly on this I assumed polyploid was refering to the sex chromosomes but I see not that it was not refering to changing the sex of the plant, though it is located next to the chapter on Breeding MJ. Sorry to TheStickyIcky also for kidnapping your post with :**:.

I do have the book open and since I do I will tell you what it says about producing female seeds:
" To produce female seeds, the plants are fertilized with pollen from male flowers that appers on a basically female plant. Such flowers appear on intersexes, reversed females, and hermaphrodites. Female plants have an XX complement of sex chromosomes; therefore, the pollen from male flowers that form on female plants can only carry an X chromosome. All seeds produced from flowers fertilized with this "female" pollen will thus have an XX pair of chromosomes, which is the female genotype".............
It also sites severe pruning such as a harvest but leaving as many leaves as possible then cutting light cycle back to 8 hours of light forcing the plant to create male flowers in an effort to procreate in what it sees as the end of the season with such little light. It also goes on to say feminized seeds can be made from a natural hermie but it will likley inherit the gene of hermie.
Hope this helps more than my first post.

"Breeding with hermis..procreates hermis"
sticky'...you ever hear of or attempt cloning "on the plant"??
there are a couple of methods that work great.
One is to wrap a stem right wherre you want to grow roots, with cheescloth filled with medium. Moisten it when you water. When roots show, cut it off 'n plant it.
Another is called "air layering"...tie/stake a lower branch down, makeing sure that an inch or so is buried beneath the surface. In a cpl of weeks, you will have another plant. Cut it off between the meristem and the buried section, transplant her.

Yeah, hick. I have cloned a few plants. Probably 6 or 7. Not a whole lot. But, I have done it. I was never really pleased with the results of clones outdoors. They don't get big enough or yield enough for my tastes. In my state your charge is by how many plants that you have. So, I would rather have 4 six footers than 8 three footers.

The reason I wanted to do this is I was going to start some White Widow and Purple Widow indoors and then try to produce feminised seeds which I could then plant outdoors. Guess I'll have to go another route.

..in most cases...my clones produce as much or more than the same strain from seed.
Clones with sufficient vegging time and proper care, grow just as much bud as plants from seed, they're 'always' females, no accidental pollinations.
I grow a few from seed every season, usually 1-2 different strains, just for the variety. But my predominate crop is/has been, clones for the past several years.

You have a better touch than me, Hick.

More problems. I don't have an extensive grow op indoors. I don't have room or effecient lighting to have a couple mother plants and still get 10 or 15 clones. I was going to try and do WW now and PW a little later, so I get seeds from both strains before next outdoor season.

Another option is growing a plant to decent sized outdoors and then cloning it. Cloning outdoors in the middle of the summer is pretty hard to do in my experience around here. It is pretty hot and dry. I really don't want to be traveling from an outdoor location back to my house with 10 or 15 clones either.

Also, I was part of an operation this year is where my buddy took 29 clones off of a mother plant indoors and then rooted them and then we took them outdoors and planted them. They started budding immediately. The reveged and the old bud is dying off and the are growing new shoots out of the bud sites, but they aren't very big. About waist high. He is a superior grower than me and has taught me most that I know, but my plants are twice the size of his. Everytime I have tried to take indoor clones outdoor I guess since they are already sexually mature and because of the light change they almost immediately start budding.

So what exactly do you do? Do you just take clones indoors and root them and then veg and flower them indoor?

Latest posts

Back