Feminized vs. Autoflowering?/!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

widairyfarms

Reaction score
What is the difference between feminized seeds and autoflowering seeds? I am looking into making a purchase to get some good gen into my grows. Thanks
WDF

Feminized seeds are supposed to be guaranteed female plants and auto flowering seeds will automatically flower on their own without needing to change to a 12/12 light schedule. That's what I always thought, I'm sure I will get corrected if I'm mistaken.

Autoflowering strains are exactly that. They flower regardless of the light schedule. When I ran Autos, I kept the lights on 24/7.

Feminized seeds imo are hermie seeds. The breeder will take a female and stress her until she produces male flowers and pollen. The pollen is collected and distributed on to non-stressed females and feminized seeds are made. Personally I don't mess with fem seeds but I have seen a ton of successful grows that used fem seeds.

Do you need to switch from MH to HPS or just go with one or the other? Are they more difficult to grow from seed or is it all the same?

Do you need to switch from MH to HPS or just go with one or the other? Are they more difficult to grow from seed or is it all the same?

Are you referring to Autos or Fems?

If you're referring to Autos: start with the MH for first 3 weeks then switch to HPS. Autos can NOT be cloned(edit) in the traditional sense.

If you're referring to Fems: run'em just like you would any other strain.

If you are wanting to keep your strains going via cloning I would stay away from autos. They can't be cloned so even if you get a semi good one you can't hang on to it like regular photo period strains.

I'm not to the cloning stage or reproducing seeds yet. So autos sound like the ticket for now with my small grow. Thanks for the clarification. Also aren't autos shorter term to harvest as well?
WDF

Autos can NOT be cloned.
They can't be cloned so even if you get a semi good one you can't hang on to it like regular photo period strains.

Sure they can but it requires doing tissue culture.
themoreyouknow.gif

Sure they can but it requires doing tissue culture.
themoreyouknow.gif

If I was going to go through the trouble of tissue cultures I sure wouldn't do it for Autos. I have never grown or smoked an auto that was better than B smoke. Jmo

You guys said autos "can not be cloned" when clearly they can. I was just correcting your misinformation.

Whether or not you would want to TC with an auto is irrelevant.

I'm not to the cloning stage or reproducing seeds yet. So autos sound like the ticket for now with my small grow. Thanks for the clarification. Also aren't autos shorter term to harvest as well?
WDF

Not really imo. With clones it can be done in the same amount of time. 3 weeks veg, 9 weeks flower = 12 weeks total or 84 days. Most Autos say 90 to 110 days total.

You guys said autos "can not be cloned" when clearly they can. I was just correcting your misinformation.

One of those guys huh? Pretty sure you knew what we meant.

I edited my post.....happy?

I'm looking at single seed centre since it got good feedback.I'm looking at an auto paradise acid. I'm looking for a sativa type high(good energy, not a couch ridden high. any suggestions would be cool. Remember indoor grow and small sq. ft but height is up to four or five ft high. However it has to be able to go with just a 250w hid. I will probably only have room for one really nice plant if it bushes out the way it should(another reason to go auto). Like I said auto more energetic high, open to suggestions.
Thanks
WDF

Oh you are definitely one of those guys huh. It wasn't stated but it was implied that by cloning we are talking about by traditional means. I also don't think it is irrelevant to mention that autos are not worth the trouble to TC them. Hell, quite a few peeps here have enough trouble with basic cloning techniques.

I'm looking at single seed centre since it got good feedback.I'm looking at an auto paradise acid. I'm looking for a sativa type high(good energy, not a couch ridden high. any suggestions would be cool. Remember indoor grow and small sq. ft but height is up to four or five ft high. However it has to be able to go with just a 250w hid. I will probably only have room for one really nice plant if it bushes out the way it should(another reason to go auto). Like I said auto more energetic high, open to suggestions.
Thanks
WDF

Mannnnnn, with a 250w HPS you could easily rock out 2 smallish photoperiod girls. The only reason I keep pushing for the photoperiod strains is i've been down the Autoflower road before, I watched Hamster go down the exact same road before. We were both disappointed. We have made those mistakes and can try to prevent you from making the same mistakes we did.

Running an 8 week flowering strain from clone can get you harvested just as fast as Auto strains. 2 weeks veg, flip, and flower. Done in 70 days... And you get to hang on to your genetics for as long as you like without trying to do tissue cultures on autos. When I first started growing I thought I would only grow autos until I realized there are way better genetics and other perks with regular phot strains.

Feminized seeds imo are hermie seeds. The breeder will take a female and stress her until she produces male flowers and pollen. The pollen is collected and distributed on to non-stressed females and feminized seeds are made. Personally I don't mess with fem seeds but I have seen a ton of successful grows that used fem seeds.

Since autoflowers are also feminized, does that mean that they are hermie seeds too?
Are regular seeds the most genetically stable and produce more potent pot than feminized or autoflower seeds?

Latest posts

Back