first attempt at cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkHorse007

Reaction score
title says it all this was my first attempt at cloning yesterday. I bought a tray of like 45 jiffy pop up seed starters and they came with a resivor and clear humidity lid, so i took two cuttings from each of my six strains and dipped them in clonex rooting gel and i am keeping my fingers crossed

i had a question though should i always keep them wet or is it good for them to dry up any?

thanks for stopping by :ciao:

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Lightly mist them at least twice a day and then the inside of the cover/dome to keep humidity up. The cuttings have no other form of intake atm except through their leaves.

But make sure to not oversaturate the media.

ok thank you greeneyes so do i need to put any water in the bottom of the tray then?

DarkHorse007 said:
ok thank you greeneyes so do i need to put any water in the bottom of the tray then?

I would keep it just like you have it, just at the very bottom.

Im not a fan of alot of misting and domes, just keep the bottom of the the cube wet and it will work.

Look good BTW especially if its been 24 hours.

DarkHorse007 said:

I don't do that but if it's working keep it up. I also use good ole fashion roottone and seedling soil as well so there's a few differences too...

I hope it goes well for you. I have never had much luck using those jiffy plugs. I don't know that I would leave much water at all in the bottom of the tray as those pucks seem to hold a lot of water.

I can say from first hand experience that Clonex rocks...I switched from Rootech and my success rate has gone through the roof. Love that purple goop. :)

thank you everyone for the help and advice.

Growdude i also thought that for being over 24 hours old now they looked pretty good but i know that im not out of the clear yet

THG what do you use to clone with? i also bought some coco that i thought i would try next time

Here some more advice for yea IMO i would cut more of all the fan leafs in half as there heavy and poor stems are getting the grunt of it due to misting etc
right after cloning a person should give all clones a good mist and dome then leave it alone not bothering them for like 3 - 4 days
99 percent of clone failure is from screwing around with them let them do there thing
what to look for when clone tray is under light , you need humidity in that dome so light distance is important to close and heat from light will disapate the humidity to fast .
So once under light check every 4 hrs the dome to make sure it looks foggy i guess white ??? then you know its all good , if not and dome is clear you will need to raise lights few inches higher till you get the happy sweet spot where dome holds its humidity
Again i stress let clones do there thing so all your job is for first 3 - 4 days is making sure dome is really humid ,
then after 3- 4 th day a person can mist daily i usually do it early mornings and late at night 2 times also allowing them some fresh air but putting domes back on and leaving them on for at-least 2 weeks ( wipe dome and re mist every time )
jiffy pellets work great soak them big time then gently squeeze little of the water out use tooth pick make a good hole and your good to go
you might want to look into bigger dome there as jiffy domes are shortys in height . great for very small cuttings and seeds
I have 100 percent clone rate success, got away from the gels high priced clonex etc and went to cheap old shultz #2 powder and never looked back

DarkHorse007 said:
thank you everyone for the help and advice.

Growdude i also thought that for being over 24 hours old now they looked pretty good but i know that im not out of the clear yet

THG what do you use to clone with? i also bought some coco that i thought i would try next time

I generally use no medium when cloning, as I use a bubble cloner. I use rapid rooters if I don't use the bubble cloner. I generally turn them upside down so they will stand on their own and poke my own hole in them.

DrFever said:
Here some more advice for yea IMO i would cut more of all the fan leafs in half as there heavy and poor stems are getting the grunt of it due to misting etc

Very good point. My stems do suffer.

well im a day sort of it being two weeks since i cloned my plants and i havent really looked at them for a few days becuase of work so when i went out this morning i noticed that some are starting to grow roots!

not sure if i got a 100% yet 9 out of 12 do have roots popping out so about 75% so far but not giving up on the others yet!

sorry pictures kinda suck

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

are the one with roots ready to be put in soil or should i let them go a little longer?

:yay: Proud pappa ..I place mine into medium as soon as roots show:aok:

well done my friend

Good job,,time to plant those babies.

thanks for the replys guys i have a few other things to do in the grow room tomorrow so ill add planting clones to the list also, nothing i love more than being in my grow room!

im pretty happy for it being my first attempt at cloning even if the other three dont do anything, but i couldn't have done any of this without MP and the people on it

thanks!

Thought i would give a final report on how my cloning went. I got all but one to root so 11 out of 12 and maintained all my strains i didnt loose any.

first batch i transplanted are looking real good and the second batch that took a little longer to root didnt fare as well but are now starting to show lots of new growth

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

good to see you got the hang of cloning

Latest posts

Back