First Grow - Feminized Northern Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where did you get your seeds?? just curious... i have been interested in NL's for a while now.

I don't want to jump the gun here but I think I should start flowering soon. Tomorrow will mark week #4, is this too early to start flowering? They're about 50% of the height of the box, which is about 25 inches and I don't want them to be busting out of the box.

Over this past week I had flushed both plants because the nute burn was looking kinda bad, but not too bad. Just wanted to nip it in the bud before stuff started dying and deteriorating so I did about 4 days ago and it's not getting worse so I think I'm going to start back on quarter doses of grow big and then big bloom around week 2 of flower, then tiger bloom later on. Does that sound right? I don't want to burn them more..

bigger_4 weeks.jpg

both-4 weeks.jpg

smaller_4weeks.jpg

BioShock said:
I don't want to jump the gun here but I think I should start flowering soon. Tomorrow will mark week #4, is this too early to start flowering? They're about 50% of the height of the box, which is about 25 inches and I don't want them to be busting out of the box.

Over this past week I had flushed both plants because the nute burn was looking kinda bad, but not too bad. Just wanted to nip it in the bud before stuff started dying and deteriorating so I did about 4 days ago and it's not getting worse so I think I'm going to start back on quarter doses of grow big and then big bloom around week 2 of flower, then tiger bloom later on. Does that sound right? I don't want to burn them more..

I don't know how much truth there is to this, however, I read that after about 5 nodes on the main stem of the plant, you could flower it at any time.... I think that was in one of the magz I read a while back. After 5 nodes, it's strong enough to support its bloom, and it has enough foliage to go into the flowering process.

Yep i think regardless, that it's time to start flowering. One has 6 nodes, the other bigger one has 7.

I just set up the timer to turn the light off at 9am tomorrow morning (usually when it turns on after being off since 3am) and turn off at 9pm, that way it's off when no ones home and on when I'm home. Safer. Less electricity. Nice.

I haven't given them nutes in about a week. Is it safe to start giving them nutes at the start of flowering? Trying to avoid burning them again.

I'm (s)toked! :bong2:

Yeah, I would use plain water until flowering begins and gradually increase the nutes for flower/bloom. However... again these plants are unique and from what I have read (again), NL strains are very sensitive to nutes and proper ratios are important. So be gradual with your intro of nutes.

Yeah these ladies are definitely privy to nute burn. I've been using nutes every other watering to help combat this. I'm using full strength and there are a few leaves at the bottom that decided to curl up and die but the rest is fine. I was going to trim off some of the bottom anyway.

I've decided to mask the smell by getting a crapload of activated carbon things; the rock kind you use in a fish tank, and some sheets for an air purifier, and stuffed them all into this lint trap for the exhaust tube. Also got that citrus thing there and stuck it in the closet. Cuts down majorly.

The LST is going well. I just tied them down for a 2nd time because the buds were squishing up against the glass and one of them burnt pretty badly.

I was just reading up on ScrOG. I don't know how I haven't heard of this method already but I really wish I could do it! Is it too late? Even if I put the mesh towards the top of the plants and fan them out without stressing them too much? I wanna maximize my yield...I didn't realize how easy it would be.
Anyway, here's a picture update after almost week 7. They're coming in nicely!!!

also, for good measure...here's my perk-ear scottish fold, Rofl.

buds!.jpg

Plants in Box 1.jpg

Plants in Box 2.jpg

Rofl.jpg

:holysheep: WOW that cab is working great for you....WOW them plants are lookin good dude :aok:

Really sweet grow man. I'm growing some NL too. Where'd you get yours?

How sensitive have they been to your nutes? How many weeks in when you started adding them? I'm hearing NL can be sensitive, in this thread and others.

If you did it again, would you wait til flower to start adding nutes?

thestandard said:
Really sweet grow man. I'm growing some NL too. Where'd you get yours?
Seedboutique. It was the 4-pack of fem NL.

thestandard said:
How sensitive have they been to your nutes?
Pretty sensitive. I do full strength every other watering and still get yellow leaves at the base but I pull them off. Everything else is green as can be.

thestandard said:
How many weeks in when you started adding them? I'm hearing NL can be sensitive, in this thread and others.
I started them in MG time release soil and regretted it, so I ended up switching to FF ocean forest, around then it was 3-4 weeks and was going to flower soon so I started with big bloom around week 4, but before that tried using the veg nute (grow big) but due to the MG soil, ended up burning them so I cut nutes completely until about week 4.

thestandard said:
If you did it again, would you wait til flower to start adding nutes?
Yes, if I was using the same soil I would wait until flower, though I would start 12/12 around week 3 instead of 4 due to my limited grow area. I also plan on doing Scrog next grow.

Just a pic update
smile.gif

little worried. There's a hot spot right in the middle of the pane of glass, from the bulb. It's scorching some of the top leaves and one of the big buds.

Also one of some dank nugs i picked up the other day.

plants_buds.jpg

plants_buds2.jpg

plants_buds3.jpg

dank nugs.jpg

love this thread. ive beaten bioshock like 4 times - even saved every girl one time. NINE DAYS til crysis, the 5 year long wait is finally over.

Nice buds man. Nice bushy plants too. I hope you work out the heat issue.

thestandard said:
love this thread. ive beaten bioshock like 4 times - even saved every girl one time. NINE DAYS til crysis, the 5 year long wait is finally over.

NICE. Yes I can't wait for Crysis, though I have to get a dual boot going since I recently did the old Vista switcheroo. Big mistake.
Anyway, BioShock was awesome but I kind of wore it out. I'm a moderator on the official 2k games forum and it was awesome...i got to go to the launch party and booze and shmooze with the devs and Ken Levine. Insane.

2 Month mark

Doing good so far guys :D

Them shits is coming in nicely. To keep the canopy as even as possible and keep them away from touching the hotspot in the glass, I've used some of the abundance of zip ties I got in a big bucket thing of them from walmart, heheh.

It works out nicely because when it gets comfortable, i can just pull the tie tighter and even hook them on to each other to grab multiple branches.

On full strength nutes now, going by the FF grow schedule on week 8 (1 tbsp of big bloom, 2 tsp of tiger bloom and 2 tsp of grow big), continuing to water every other day. Most of the lower foliage has been trimmed off and a good bit of it has died. The top seems fine though! Not too concerned.

week 8 - 01.jpg

week 8 - 02.jpg

week 8 - 03.jpg

week 8 - 04.jpg

week 8 - 05.jpg

week 8 - 06.jpg

week 8 - 07.jpg

BioShock your plants are looking amazing and i have to commend you on the LST it worked out quite nicely for you it appears. Congrats man! You have to let me no how it smokes when it comes that time because i have always been interested in some NL :D Have a good one!

I have some questions if anyone can help me.

How long should I expect to be flowering these for? I've read NL strains can be as quick as 6-7 weeks flowering. Does anyone have any experience with NL in a microgrow environment and how long they should take?
Trying to plan accordingly...they're on week 5 of flower right now and if that's true, then I should start feeding them water only right?

I grew Nirvana NL took 8 weeks.
The only tried and true way of telling harvest is to look at the trichomes.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17609
You will need a 30X or better magnifier. You can get a handheld microscope at radioshck for 10-12 bucks,
Or you can look for a jewlers loupe. Every grower should have a magnifier on hand ;)

Yea I have a 2x and 4x one lol...it works for now. Maybe I'll put a few bucks into that 420scope thing.

Latest posts

Back