First Grow - Feminized Northern Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update - Week 7 of Flower

Need some input folks :) and some of that green mojo!

The bigger of the two plants is acting weird. I don't know what to make of it. It could be natural foliage death at this age but the leaves around the buds are drying out around the edges of the leaves and kinda hardening in a dark color and some bits are turning necrotic. There are some of these dark spots in the middle of the leaves too. They're kinda calloused and hard, reminds me of a scab.

I also picked up one of those 420 scopes and its awesome! I had no idea even shitty swag weed looks amazing under it.

I'd say about 20% of the hairs have turned darker brown so far on the bigger of the 2 plants. The 2nd one I'd say is more like 10%. That one is a runt in comparison! All because i ripped out some roots when it was young :(

I'm feeding them water only right now, every other day. They don't seem to be drinking up just the water only as quickly as they would with nutes, which I find interesting.
SITE RULES ...
7. Please try to post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as eight pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them.

Ok guy now I'm starting to worry. I feel like the bigger of the two plants is ready to harvest. The trichs look more cloudy than ever on both plants, and the percentage of browned calyxes seems pretty high (like 80%). Should i cut them down now?? I'm a little worried and don't want to miss the window.

Looks like ya got yourself a case of nute burn or heat stress mang. You haven't missed that window yet. Depending on what kinda high your looking for i would wait until you see a few amber trichromes before harvesting but that's just me. ;)

yeah let her go for about 8 and a ½ weeks, then during the final 24-48 hours keep em' in complete 100% darkness, and they'll get ûberfrosty

Well last night I wasn't getting any helpful answers and I was a little panicked about them, so I cut them down and did the whole harvest thing. They're up to dry right now.

The smaller of the 2 plants' trichs were showing a very milky white and some tiny bits of amber but not much; the bigger plant- I'm definitely not sure it was ready but i didn't want the burn to get any worse. It was starting to effect the tip of the buds, they were drying out and browning pretty badly. Pretty much all fan leaves were curled up except for a couple of the bigger ones. I know it's not heat stress because my grow box has been a steady 70º-75º throughout the entire grow. Besides, it's turning into winter here and temps are lower than usual.

The thing that I find odd is that the nute burn started showing badly AFTER i put them on water-only. I can understand flushing out the nute buildup but this was pretty drastic and unexpected. This whole thing caught me by surprise and I wasn't prepared - lesson learned and next time it will be better.

when watering, you could have been using a hard water or a bad pH water. Hard water leaves salt deposits and can cause nutrients to be locked in those deposits when flushing. This could cause a nute burn. I have hard water in my tap and it's a problem. I used GH hard water micro nutrients with my 3 part nutrient setup, but it doesn't seem to work that well, I always get salt.

I would recommend flushing next time with distilled water. It's expensive, but might save you troubles like this in the future. IF this was the problem.

If pH was a problem with my water, i would have known ages ago. I've been using Brita-filtered tap water since day 1. Maybe it was a salt problem that caused the nute burn but I don't think it was from the water; probably from the original soil I used (MG time release) that may have had some of it's nute pellets lodged deep in the root ball. Who knows.

I think I picked the right time to harvest. I checked the trichs again and theyre more light amber than I remember.

So what happens with the buds when you don't flush in the last 2 weeks? I only used water-only for about 4 or 5 days before it seemed time to harvest.

Is this going to make drying and/or curing harder, is it going to make it less potent...or what? Need to know what to expect.

Thank you for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I would assume that after a few days flushing it should be less chemical tasting as im sure you've plateau'd after a few days. As far as potency, it depends on how bad the lockout or nute problems were during the actual flowering phase, mostly early and mid flowering.

I would ASSUME, that there might be a small decrease in potency, but probably nothing much to worry about. NL is pretty strong to begin with, so you may not even notice a difference.

So it turns out the smaller of the two plants was a hermie or something! I got 12 seeds out of it...they were lodged deep in the buds so I had no idea until i went to test some out last night. Is it safe to use these seeds to start another grow? I would think they would be of the same strain, feminized and all, right??

BioShock said:
So it turns out the smaller of the two plants was a hermie or something! I got 12 seeds out of it...they were lodged deep in the buds so I had no idea until i went to test some out last night. Is it safe to use these seeds to start another grow? I would think they would be of the same strain, feminized and all, right??

nope, herm seeds procreate herms.
I would not use em.

Sigh. I wasn't sure. Too bad!

I'm thinking either white widow or white rhino for my next grow. I'm going to Scrog this time so what would be my best bet?

This bud is so freaking good though. Northern lights is delicious and gives an incredible body/head high that i can only describe as a more intense hazey kind of stone.

Not yet...I'll take pictures when they're completely done drying. I just took a sample last night to get a feel for how much longer they need. I'll give em a few more days. My buds are pretty loose and not very compact so the drying process is making them look a lot better.

wait for it....

are you going to get feminized seeds again the next time you grow?

as more and more of my plants are turning out to be males, this is tempting to me.

Latest posts

Back