First grow-Stealth Rubbermaid box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bud

Reaction score
So here it is, after months of research, i have grown to love the possible aspect of growing my own marijuana. Im sure i dont know it all and will learn from this experience but hopefully you guys here can help me along the way.

Materials: Rubbermaid box, 21 gal. i believe. When the plants start to get bigger i will add the bottom tub.
Hvac aluminum tape.
(3) 2700k 26 watt cfls at 1750 lumens a piece.
(3) 6500k 23 watt cfls at 1600 lumens a piece.
Power strip, lights are plugged into to plug 3 wall plugin adapters and y-splitters.
which puts my lumen count at 10,050.
I will upgrade as needed.

Soil:
Sta Green soil, perlite, and worm castings at a ratio of 50%-40%-10%

Ventilation
: I currently have 2 small 80mm computer fans one as intake and one blowing directly on the pot. as an outtake i have a small probably 6-8 inch fan set on low, medium with the door open at certain times during the day (im not sure of the cfm rating).

Temperatures: a little high usually ranging in 80-90 degrees consistantly. Hopefully that will change after my large computer fan comes, in the next couple of days hopefully.

Seeds: currently only one seed has sprouted because i only have one planted. Bagseed is the one currently planted from some pretty good shwag. I oredered white rhino seeds about a week ago from seed boutique, still waiting on the arrival...

sorry about the pics. i have a 5 megapixel cam but the resolution is kinda crappy.
Pic075.JPG

ya.JPG

Pic077.JPG

Pic078.JPG

BTW the dimensions of my closet are about 3ftX3ftX5ft that i can probably work with.

looks like a sweet little set up u got there bud! I'll be watching :D

youll definitely want to get those temps down. and flower early as youll out grow that setup with any mj plant.

headband said:
youll definitely want to get those temps down. and flower early as youll out grow that setup with any mj plant.

what 3 x 3 x 5 feet?? thats a big space man.. i'm growing in a 1 x 1 x 1 foot space lol!

headband said:
I know, i realize this, i ordered a computer fan with a 93 cfm rating i believe it was at 2500 rpm's it was one of the best i could find and was said to lower the temps in comuter box compared to a smaller 80mm fan by 10-15 degrees. BTW-what a coincidence i went out to to mail box and there was my white rhino seeds waiting for me. :hubba: went to wally world and picked up a small 4 inch fan to add as intake too.

Well i checked on my 1 baby i have planted and it seems to have not grown at all, at least noticeable growth, however it only has been two days...hopefully my computer fan will come in today because the temps in the box is 91F:eek: . Im hoping when the fan comes in to get it down to a consistent 79 to 80F.

On another note, i lightly top dressed my baby with worm castings possibly helping to boost some growth, although i know the heat is probably the major reason.

My white rhino is still germinating and upon observation later i will plant into the same mix as this one bagseed either tonight or tomorrow.

so heres a pic of the setup currently until i add aluminum tape to the other box and setup my intake holes. Oh yeah forgot to mention i added a 4' inch fan yesterday to add circulation in the box.
Pic075.JPG

So heres another update. Last night i made the other box to put as the bottom tub. I have pictures.The pic with the 2 pots closest to the intake fan are the white rhino's i planted last night they had about 3/4 inch long tap roots, some healthy looking seeds. My intake is the 4'inch fan i had in the box and a small 80mm computer fan on the top tub so i have intake on the top and bottom. The temps are dropping a little now, (consistent at 87F) still waiting on my fan to come in. Got a better shot of the seedling dont know if you can see but i think its a little burnt, probably from that top dress that i performed....anyways hopefully it will bounce back.
Pic078.JPG

Pic079.JPG

Pic080.JPG

Pic081.JPG

my friend... maybe no body warned you?... you don't want to be giving any ferts to a seedling... ferts shouldn't be added till like after the seedling gains a bit of size (about when the little round starter leaves yellow and die off)... and very light dose at first. that worm casting fert is really strong stuff - care needs to be observed when applying it. if I was you, I'd remove that top dressing of castings you added as best you can.

thanks man, i guess its the learning experience.

i didnt realize worm castings were strong. I figured since they were organic it wouldnt hurt the plant that bad, i know not to feed the plant until the second set of leaves but wasnt aware the castings were so strong..

Oh BTW, just checked the temps and it has dropped again to 83F... thats with the door to the closet open though so im hoping it will stay at around 85F for the moment.

I was going to suggest to just leave the door open to help with the temps... and that worm casting fert is, like I said, strong stuff... like... if it is used as a soil prep additive, if it is not mixed into the soil thoroughly, it will create hotspots within the medium that can kill the plant. I like to apply it as a tea as the mixture is benefitial to the medium as well as the plant.

any other questions... ask

yeah heres a question. Do to the fact this has to be a stealth grow i cannot leave the door open. When i get my 93 cfm fan that comes in will this along with the outtake fan i already have keep the temps steady? say 80F?

you want to talk to HGB about worm castings... he makes his own with his worm farm. he can give you better advice on it than I can. I have a bag of dried worm castings that I add to my soil when potting - I only use a couple pinches of the stuff with a few gallons of soil and mix it around really good with Superthrive'd water to moisten the soil and transplant into this soil mixture. later on as a booster during early veg and flowering, I'll use some worm casting concentrate to make a worm casting tea to use in place of a water-only instance... to give the soil a boost again and making the plant's growing conditions optimal.

curious... what kind of worm castings r u using?... a commercial brand? dry or liquid?

50bud said:
yeah heres a question. Do to the fact this has to be a stealth grow i cannot leave the door open. When i get my 93 cfm fan that comes in will this along with the outtake fan i already have keep the temps steady? say 80F?

how is your ventilation system setup?... is there intake and exhaust to another room outside of the grow room?

the place where u r living... u own or rent?... if you own, you can DIY your setup custom, and I can tell you how. if u rent, you aren't going to be able to keep it very stealth.

worm castings have a NPK of around 3.2-1.1-1.5 (red wigglers)

Even though castings have low NPK values, worm castings provide natures perfect blend of micro and macro nutrients which are available for immediate as well as time released long lasting nutrition.100% organic worm castings will NOT burn even the most delicate plants.

ton's of info on this site about worm casting and how to use them....

seeds can be started in a mix of 1/2-1cup castings/gal of soil mixed in with no problems at all of burning your plant.

91* is a bit much for starting them off thats for sure and would think the high temps might have something to do with it;)

well i just checked the temperature and it is at 80F with the fan on high all day, Guess this is what im gonna have to do at all times.....bought the worm castings at wally world, they are called terracycle. Seems like the seedling got a little greener since earlier today and kinda perked up. Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me... and the idea of worm castings came to me thanks to HGB which has been a real inspiration to me.

Checked the box a sec. ago, still at 80F, waiting for my fan to come in still:rant:. Planted the white rhino's 2 nights ago, im hoping they will be sprouted by tonight or tomorrow...any suggestions or questions are appreciated...

it should be ok, i mean i know lower temps are better to give u females, but my plant (don't know sex yet) was under temps of 85 - 100F and loved it! I have since managed to get it down to about 75 F constant while lights are on. But then I also didn't want to be using too much electrics etc for stealth, and only have the lights and fan on when i'm in the room i.e. asleep, so am doing 12/12 from seed.

I'll keep an eye on this grow, cos i like the set-up. Will be interesting to see what you get :D

Latest posts

Back