First time grower using ebb and grow system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey there Gooch, the difference in temps should not be that big and if it is, then I suspect that maybe you have inadequate ventilation

I would agree. You shouldn't have that big of a swing unless the ventilation isn't strong enough when the lights are on. Having a little heat to keep the dark period in upper 60s to low 70s would be good, but not 80s.

yes i agree was intentionally letting the temps get up in the high 80's low 90's and figured a 10 degree swing at night would be good its 20 degree now, my high yesterday was 86 low 63. I am in a basement also so its pretty cold naturally

Gooch, I'm in the same boat as you. Two weeks ago I was using a open window at night to drop the temps down to the 60's. Now with window closed, temps fall to 64. That's with my central heat turned on. My grow swings from about 75 to low 60's. I Need some heat

You definitely don't want to let them get below 60f until they are in the last stages, and then only if you are wanting some cold colors to show up in strains that will change colors in cold.
Gooch, If you have them in a tent in the basement then what I like to do is have a room within a room so that I can modify the temps within the outer room to close to what I want the grow room to be so that the air coming in isn't too cold or too warm. I use both ac and heat (depending on the season) and modify the outer room air to upper 60s to lower 70s continuously so that the inner space can stay in the upper 70s.

hush its funny you say that because i put a heater inside the tent and it only comes on when lights go out, but i also had a heater i was going to put in the room the tent is in, but i decided it might be a waste now i am rethinking it, thanks

watering cycles for flowering. I am using ebb and flow should i be feeding when the lights are off, on or both? I currently feeding them every 6 hours as i have been the entire grow stage

is there any light spectrum that can be used that wont disrupt flowering cycles?

I have problems in the winter with keeping my flowering space warm enough during the winter during lights out, too. I usually solve this by putting up a vegging tent next to the flowering tent and use the air from the vegging tent to raise the temps of the flowering tent during the night. Space heaters are quite expensive to run and the thermostats do not work very well--I usually find the space gets too hot. So rather than use a 500-1500W heater, I use a 400-600 HPS and exhaust the air from the veg tent to the flowering tent during lights out. This has worked well for a number of years.

i normally dont feed when lights are off. anyway, you should get a timer to run the ebb and flow

I have a timer for the ebb and flow i have it set to every six hours, 4 times a day but 2 of those times the lights are off, and i wasnt sure if i should be feeding with lights off?

Im not sure about ebb n flow but I do a variation that is topfeed, and I run mine 4x per 24hrs. 2 of those is during the dark period. I have mine set to water them just before the lights come on, then halfway through the on time and then just before they go off, and finally at the mid point of the off time. You really have to judge it by how dry they get between waterings.

If you want to go into your grow during the dark period, buy a "headlight" that uses green LEDs. The plant will not recognize green light. something like this will work but you have to wear a ballcap. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/MasterVision-308G2G-LED-Light-Green/dp/B001BDIB3S/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1445458251&sr=8-29&keywords=green+flashlights[/ame]

I wonder if i can use my night vision googles would that work, i wasn't sure what it was spreading for a light so i didn't want to use it. I am going to buy the ones you just sent me since its not that much and i would really like to get in and see what the temps are and what the humidity is, my humidity is very low, like 39. I know this is not good it causes the plant to shut down so i am going to put a humidifier in

Im not sure about ebb n flow but I do a variation that is topfeed, and I run mine 4x per 24hrs. 2 of those is during the dark period. I have mine set to water them just before the lights come on, then halfway through the on time and then just before they go off, and finally at the mid point of the off time. You really have to judge it by how dry they get between waterings.

If you want to go into your grow during the dark period, buy a "headlight" that uses green LEDs. The plant will not recognize green light. something like this will work but you have to wear a ballcap. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BDIB3S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

far out, be scary for the plant though :),
I just use those green incandescent bulbs. (watch out for readouts and led indicators, you should go into your dark room sometimes, peed me off once or twice)
interesting re recognizing green light... does this mean the plant sees itself as clear (or see-through) and not blocking light at all or maybe not as much as we think.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a modification on that [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-AELC-Active-Green-Light/dp/B003URCBZW/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SHNN42TJA4T3BSEMTNF&dpID=41zgcB2xg%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_"]item by hydrofarm [/ame]

ok so this is what i am trying. I have hooked up my inline 400cfm fan and variable speed adjuster, I hooked that to the top hole in my tent, I have it being pumped out of the tent room into the basement, I have a humidifier running in the room with the tent but not in the tent, I have a vent hole open to take in the humid air being produced in the room outside the tent. I am trying to keep the humidity and heat at set levels but i dont have a controller for this

interesting re recognizing green light... does this mean the plant sees itself as clear (or see-through) and not blocking light at all or maybe not as much as we think.
interesting question but it is a fact the leaves block the beneficial light spectrum because it is absorbing its rays, so green light is not seen in the spectrum used for photosynthesis i believe is what he was saying?:confused2:

interesting question but it is a fact the leaves block the beneficial light spectrum because it is absorbing its rays, so green light is not seen in the spectrum used for photosynthesis i believe is what he was saying?:confused2:

Green light is not used for photosynthesis, just red and blue so they don't react to it. I think I'm just hung up on why the leaves are green, coincidence? I don't think so.
:smoke1:

Let me blow your mind a little. Consider this; leaves are not green in the summer, and they don't turn red/orange in the fall. A red car is not red. Blue water is not blue. Color is in the light. To our eyes, different wavelengths of light appear as colors. A red car is one that has pigments in the paint that reflect wavelengths of light that appear to our eyes as red. Healthy leaves have chlorophyll that absorbs multiple wavelengths of light, but they reflect the wavelength that appears green to us. In the fall, the green chlorophyll dies off and leaves only the types of chlorophyll that reflect yellows and oranges.

I actually tested this as a science experiment for my son's school's science day. I used red, blue and green LEDs inside a fully enclosed box that was painted flat black on the inside. If I placed a blue ball inside the box and shined the blue light, it appeared blue. But if I shined red or green light on the blue ball, it appeared black. I did the same for a red ball, a yellow ball, and a green ball. The green ball appeared blue in the blue light but black in the red light. The reason it appeared blue in the blue light is because green color in the ball is a mixture of blue and yellow. If there is only red light present then the blue, green and yellow balls will not reflect any of the red light from the LED so it appears black. :)

Very fascinating isn't it! What is reality? What are we not capable of seeing? Or smelling, or touching???

Latest posts

Back