First time grower with red stems/yellow/spotting leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have to try one of those filters. How long do you think one would last? Or is that kind of hard to know?

Are there any DIY carbon filters on here I can read about? I was also thinking of going in this direction as well?

DIY's dont work as well as a bought one. These filters will last probably a year or more as long as you wash it out correctly.

yeah, I agree. I made a couple DIY filters but they just didn't work as well because I couldn't get the proper airflow through them and get good air scrubbing ability. That is why I bought these filters. They are also very light which makes them super easy to attach to the light fixtures and fit nice an snuggly so that no air gets by without passing through the filter. I have cooltubes which are pretty light in comparrison to the vented hoods, and the filters attach right to the end of the tubes without making them hang awkard from the extra weight or size.

I am hazarding a guess here as they don't really say because there are too many factors that affect the filter life, but I would think they should last for at least 24months of usage under normal conditions. :)

Okay guys here is an update of the garden:

Got the carbon filter
New 4" inline exhaust fan
New lights
New oscillating fan
(not shown) 2 gallon pots

This thing got a make over!

Plants are in a little bit of a rough state right now with bumping them through out this whole process. And I put the new lights in last night, before I go the new fan, and the temp got up to 95 DEGREES!!!! :hairpull:

So this morning they were all laying down and the soil was bone dry! I supported them back up, watered them and got the new fan in and the temp is holding steady at 75 degrees....

In the last pic.... is this normal to have all these dead, fallen off, leaves? Some fell off from me poking around in there.

DSC00737.JPG

DSC00738.JPG

DSC00739.JPG

DSC00740.JPG

You don't need a carbon filter until you flower. You can get that light about an inch or two above you plants. You were getting up to 95 degreese with those 3 lights?!? Or with your new light? My light runs cooler than my 4 cfls. You look like you're having some sort of deficiency on your 2nd picture on your back plants.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
You don't need a carbon filter until you flower. You can get that light about an inch or two above you plants. You were getting up to 95 degreese with those 3 lights?!? Or with your new light? My light runs cooler than my 4 cfls. You look like you're having some sort of deficiency on your 2nd picture on your back plants.

Yeah I am playing around with the FF ferts... I did 1/2 the amount and might have to up it?

It was getting up to 95 degrees with the new light (same as yours).

The reason I got the carbon filter is because it was smelling BAD (Really strong MJ smell is the house). But that is gone now :)

I will lower the lights a bit, then. They burn my hand when I touch them, though? Like, it hurts, lol.

I have, I think, 4 different types of plants in my garden. Some are doing really well and some types are a lot harder to control... as in ferts, watering and stuff. They are a lot more picky.

Your leaves shouldnt touch the bulbs but an inch or so away is fine. Thats crazy I only have one oscillating fan in a space that is 2'x4'x8 and I never get temps above 76 but it's in a vented closet not a tent. If you think your plants smell bad now wait till flowering lol. How many females have you gotten so far out of your bunch? I just got another confirmed female today :). Hopefully you can fix your nute problem I dont know what it could be.

Make sure you change that prefilter (white cloth around it) every 30 days.

Like The Silver Bullet mentioned, do not use your filter until you need it--it cuts down substantially on the efficiency of your fan. If you have negative pressure in your space, this will most likely take care of the smell.

The guy I talked to said this fan setup took off 20 cfms from the fan. So I went from 170 to 150 with the filter on. Still good. And I have a vacuum (no such thing as negative pressure, lol :p), in the tent.

I don't mean to argue but negative pressure = less pressure than the surrounding area which is a vaccume. Its up to you whether you use your filter now or not but you wont be getting your money's worth because it will wear out faster(the activated carbon will clog up faster) and not filter as good when flowering comes.

growgreen420 said:
The guy I talked to said this fan setup took off 20 cfms from the fan. So I went from 170 to 150 with the filter on. Still good. And I have a vacuum (no such thing as negative pressure, lol :p), in the tent.

LOL--of course there is such a thing as negative pressure. A vacuum is, technically, a space devoid of matter.

Don't believe all that grow store salespeople tell you. There is really no upside to using your filter before you need it and several downsides.

All growgreen is trying to say is that, TECHNICALLY, the term "negative pressure" is not correct. The pressure inside the system, or grow room/closet/whatever, is just lower than the pressure outside the system, not negative.

But yea, everyone knows what you mean when you say negative pressure... no need to nitpick!

sMACk

yea, thats an example, but weather is too complicated haha

I meant the term "system" generically, like any enclosed environment basically.

sMACk

Lol u guys. Anyways. It smells in the house but with the filter on the snell is gone. If a filter can last me a grow... Then I am happy lol.

Moving the air should just be enough to get rid of the smell where are you exhausting to? outside or back into the home if so you'll need ot leave the door to the room your tent is open to keep the air fresh that's being taken into your tent. How much was that filter and what are the dimensions anyways?

Yep. We are exhausting back into the room because that is the only way unless we cut a hole in the wall and we can't do that. Fan was $105 and filter was like $85. The filter is a 4" and is 20" long. The fan is the brand hurricane and the filter is the brand phresh.

Normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level. On our gauges we call 14.7 psi, 0 psi. Anything below 0 psi is vacuum and anything above 0 is pressure. Negative pressure is terminology incorrect because that is what the term vacuum stands for. It's kind of confusing at first. Now if we didn't set 14.7 psi as our 0 then anything under 14.7 psi is still pressure unless it drops below 0 psi at sea level.

Latest posts

Back