flushing plants in multiple stages in an E&F

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tater said:
That falls around the lines of what I had in my mind for a double blind test but this as you have stated is outside of my abilities. So perhaps we can put the taste test aside for now and try to come up with tests that can be repeated by anyone in the home. If you would be willing to work with me on this I would really appreciate it and it should add some sense of fairness to the tests as well since it will incorporate a person from each "camp" on the flushing thing.

Perhaps we can work together to work out a feeding schedule that we both find agreeable, we would also need to be growing the same plants so as to rule out one more variable. Full documentation would needed to be supplied as stated so that the tests can be easily duplicated by others.

We could perform a smaller scale taste test but I don't think the results would be of any use to us because of the small testing sample. The legality of the plant makes acquiring a large enough group of test subjects next to impossible, so lets try to stick to testing things that can be done in the home. Perhaps we can test the salinity content of the stem matter, leaves, and flowers individually. I'm sure we can devise a test to determine the combustibility of each sample as well as perhaps a residue test on the ash itself. If there is anything else that we can come up with so long as it is repeatable I see no problem in adding it to the test. Perhaps we could start concurrent grows and publish our results in a combined effort?

I hope we can work together on this, and it is a shame that we do not have the resources to perform a proper double blind taste test.

Quick edit: on second thought maybe we don't need to be growing the same plants, perhaps growing plants from a IBL would suffice and would negate the need to trade live clones? Thoughts?
The only lab I know of that tests plants charges about 1,500 USD per/test. To cover all the salts, you'd be talking a half dozen tests at least. Dude, that's a lot of money to prove a point... I'm inclined to wait until one of those rich Universities snatch it up.

My entire point was to counter the folks who say that with no doubt what-so-ever, flushing makes bud taste better and smoke better. By pressing the issue, I've now heard just as many growers say they don't think so as those who do think so.

To me, that rests the case until someone with deep pockets can do some lab testing to document the theory once and for all. Until then, I would love it if everyone would say "I think" instead of "I know". Me included.

Peace.

Why can't we run our own tests? We can come up with valid repeatable tests that will be relevant to the issue, many tests done in a lab can be completed at home. You can order thin layer chromatography tests for under 20 bucks. We can also burn the weed and weigh the residue, we can use the wire combustibility test, we can test how much one plant raises the TDS of a known water sample, there is plenty we can do at home that would be relevant to the argument. I agree that a double blind taste test of significance is outside of my reach but there is plenty that we can do.

The taste thing I can't prove but whether flushing has an effect I can prove, I can also prove how well it can burn, so with a little brainstorming I'm sure we can come up with plenty of ideas or am I on my own here?

I'll wait to see the outcome of your tests.

I'm not sure if you know that the information about how plants use nutrients is already out there. Marijuana isn't an alien plant. There are lots of plants just like it. The nutrient usage research has already been done. You just have to find it, read it all and extract the pertinent information.

The *taste* part when smoked has also been done by the tobacco industry, but that plant and marijuana aren't really the same thing, so that isn't really perfect information in relation to MJ.

That's why only the taste tests are really necessary.

What you're doing is recreating the same testing that has already been done in relation to nutrient usage. You just have to find it.

Whatever way you or someone else does find it, I look forward to reading it.

I was under the impression that you were not certain and actually believed that no salts would be found in the flower, only the leaf and the stem. Its to bad I was excited thinking I had someone else on board with me but I will do my best to get t ball rolling on this by xmas, I still need to build the room and get enough clones from my buddy so that I have all the same plants before I can move forward with this. In the meantime I will outline the experiments I will be performing and submit them for everyones perusal before I start to help iron out any kinks. A thousand eyes are better than two haha.

Tater said:
I was under the impression that you were not certain and actually believed that no salts would be found in the flower, only the leaf and the stem.
Your impression is correct.

:confused: fill me in.... i thought that the taste,smell,and smoke had to do alot on the "cure"... of coarse some of it has to do with the phenotype,strain, how it was grown.. but if you dont over feed or nute lock. there shouldnt be high levals of salts... YES/NO???:confused:
so then it would boil down to the cureing process..
in a newbie , to the science facts to growing MJ but isnt that how she goes??

i would like corections if i have mae a false statement plz.. just dont be a donkey's about it...
thanx;)
LH

Latest posts

Back