FMI: Such a thing as Co2 toxisity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TentFarmer

Super Doobie
Reaction score
I have recently started running a tank co2 system and the results have been amazing. My question however is there such a thing as too much co2? I would assume there would be but have never heard of any reports of what would happen. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

TF

Yes, you can kill your plants with too much co2. I have read that you are supposed to keep your ppm's under 2000.

not sure if it kills them, but growth does come to a hault after 2000 ppms,

Shoot for 1500-1800

Co2, Light, Ability to transpire, humidity and temp are all factors directly affecting The use of Co2.

Thanks everyone. I'm confident my ppm levels are below 2000. Probably still below 1500 but they're certainly higher then they were last week. Doubt if I was peaking over 100 in my setup. Someday a bag of money will fall from the sky and I'll pick up a fuzzy logic controller. Until then...

Thanks everyone

TF

normal atmospheric concentration is about 300 ppm. plants can handle 5x atmospheric concentration. ambient temp has a lot to do with absorption rate.

TentFarmer said:
Thanks everyone. I'm confident my ppm levels are below 2000. Probably still below 1500 but they're certainly higher then they were last week. Doubt if I was peaking over 100 in my setup. Someday a bag of money will fall from the sky and I'll pick up a fuzzy logic controller. Until then...

Thanks everyone

TF

:confused: How are you regulating your CO2?

hey tent, ive bought the fuzzy logic which is nice but im not even using it rite now! yea been kicking myself in the ***. had to shut down the propane co2 gen bcus of the humidity, til next grow when i have a dehumidifier i just have a $550 useless plastic box just hangin out in the grow room lol

The Hemp Goddess said:

Without a controller the most common way to regulate co2 is to calculate the cubic feet of the room and adjust the regulator on the tank to fill that space with 1500 ppm in a given time period (usually an hour). the regulator is set on a timer to run for one hour every 3 hours or so. This is a quite arbitrary method, but still delivers great results until one is able to afford a controller.:guitar:

not only do the roots need oxygen, but the whole plant actually uses it. the primary source of energy for them is the co2 used in photosynth, but i remember from bio that they also have aerobic cell structures(such as mitochondria or something)

Knew I was missing something useful when sleeping through biology class :D

i think they might need it for producing amino acids. ya know ill actually look it up.

okay. the roots use it, and the plant uses it when it burns glucose.

Cellular respiration (process that uses oxygen to break sugar into energy
for life functions) and photosynthesis (green plants converting sunlight
energy into sugars using water and carbon dioxide) are distinct and
separate processes. Animals only use cellular respiration. Plants do not
have muscles and the other functions necessary in animals functioning that
require a high levels of oxygen. Plants also CAN NOT take the energy
directly for their energy needs from photosynthesis. Photosynthesis
produces a far greater amount of oxygen and sugars, etc. then the small
amount the plant requires to produce its energy needs. OK - but only
during the day when the sun light is available! During the night, the
plant actually uses oxygen it has left over from the daylight
photosynthesis or takes the oxygen from the air surrounding the plant to
meet its energy needs. This is not nearly the amount of oxygen an animal
needs over the same period of time.

To answer your question, during the day the plant produces far more oxygen
from photosynthesis than it produces carbon dioxide from cellular
respiration. It is a waste gas and if not expelled from the plant, can
cause serious harm. Since plants do not utilize large amounts of oxygen
over a twenty-four hour period (ideal conditions, winter is another issue),
oxygen wins.

great post lotek, understanding how the plant uses co2 will teach you about how all the variables work together to cause growth, has to kinda click in your head, but when you understand this, its like having the key to growing perfect pot. takes time to understand, and equipment to duplicate the environment.

The Hemp Goddess said:

A sealed tent and mathematics. I figured it takes 1min 40 sec at my current pressure to fill my tent and I have it repeat that cycle every 2 hours. I also have a environmental controller with a photo cell that turns my co2 off in the dark hours (all 6 of them).

Educated guesstimate to say the least. Part of the reason I wanted to figure out signs of toxicity in case I was overdoing it.

TentFarmer said:
A sealed tent and mathematics. I figured it takes 1min 40 sec at my current pressure to fill my tent and I have it repeat that cycle every 2 hours. I also have a environmental controller with a photo cell that turns my co2 off in the dark hours (all 6 of them).

Educated guesstimate to say the least. Part of the reason I wanted to figure out signs of toxicity in case I was overdoing it.

I'm not positive but I believe I read somewhere it is best to use the CO2 while the plants are in the dark cycle while flowering.

I would think it would be the opposite since most co2 generators have an upgraded version that shut off during the dark cycle.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time today.

TentFarmer said:
I would think it would be the opposite since most co2 generators have an upgraded version that shut off during the dark cycle.

I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time today.
absolutely... plants use co2 in the lights ON cycle and produce oxygen.. opposite in the lights OFF cycle...;)

thats what i thought but i remember it having been said the other way in a stickey.

Latest posts

Back