Fungus Gnats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surreptitious

Supreme Chancellor
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody knows if there is an issue with fungus gnats and mj? I've caught maybe 5-10 of those little buggers at the bottoms of my plants.

i bought some fruit and vegatalble pesticide and was wondering if it would be ok to use this on mj?

Thanks!

They suck..they hang around and get in your buds...they lay eggs in the roots as well...that's the bad news..

the good news is that they are easy to get rid of (at the stage you caught them) and the ones that are there won't mess with your overall harvest...

Sticky traps, sticky traps, sticky traps...

I don't use ones with any chemicals on them...just sticky stuff...the traps i buy are yellow cuz apparently they like that color....

I have a lot of sticky traps in both of my rooms...(I learned the hard way:))

that and keeping a clean area and you'll be good as gold..

:)

If you are going to use pesticide on the plants make sure at least that is organic, and to be sure it is ok, buy it from a hydro shop. They will probably have something specially designed for cannabis plants, and it will not ruin your smoke. Another thing you can also do is to freeze your buds after harvest and make hash. In this way you kill all the bugs that could be hiding in there, and they are removed in the process of separating the resin for the plant material..

I hope you get a killer harvest, in spite of the bugs

adult gnats don't pose a problen for plants, but the larvae eat your micro roots. The key to erradication is NOT in trapping the adults. but at soil level. Diotomaceous earth, an inch of clean sand or perlite will eliminate their ability to reproduce.
Gnats are primarily a by-product of over watering, keeping the top layer of soil too moist. Dry it out and eliminate the issue.

:yeahthat: let me add to it remove all dead decaying leaf from room as this is food for them and close any opened water containers as this is where they lay eggs

Hick said:
adult gnats don't pose a problen for plants, but the larvae eat your micro roots. The key to erradication is NOT in trapping the adults. but at soil level. Diotomaceous earth, an inch of clean sand or perlite will eliminate their ability to reproduce.
Gnats are primarily a by-product of over watering, keeping the top layer of soil too moist. Dry it out and eliminate the issue.

I have heard good things about usung diotomaceous earth to cut 'em to shreds...what if I'm a hydro grower? Can I still use it?

I just assumed that sticky traps (and regular pest prevention treatments) were all I could do, but if I can use the D. Earth, then I'll do that too...

thx Hick

cmd420, we use DE around the doors and windows. the little critters stroll thru and get sliced and dehydrate. spread thin like a dust, not thick.

if it gets wet...useless! dunno how u wld use around hydro. $$

ah right you're hydro, piece of cake man, H2O2 in your res will kill the larvae thats where you should aim, heard people use gnatrol too never had to get it since i started H2O2

cmd420 said:
I have heard good things about usung diotomaceous earth to cut 'em to shreds...what if I'm a hydro grower? Can I still use it?

I just assumed that sticky traps (and regular pest prevention treatments) were all I could do, but if I can use the D. Earth, then I'll do that too...

thx Hick
I can't help you with hydro cmd.. so sorry :eek:

Diatomaceous Earth has been shown to be a real miracle product. While reading this thread, I googled it up to see if there was any danger to using it around pets.

I was amazed to read that it's already being FED to animals, plus used in many human products, such as toothpaste. One caveat I did read is to be sure to get food-grade DE and not the stuff sold for swimming pools, because that has been chemically treated and also won't kill the bugs like the natural, untreated DE does. Fascinating read for those interested in learning more about DE: hxxp://www.shagbarkridge.com/info/de.html

Latest posts

Back