Hanging Fluores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDoobie

The Great White Jamaican
Reaction score
I searched for almost 2 hours and found nothing on this.

I have dual tube 40 watt fluoros that have been horizontal for 3 months in my garage. I decieded they could be put to better use so I mounted them vertical along the wall of my new space. After 3 hrs or so 2 of them died and were smoking.

Is there a known issue with mounting these vertical or just bad luck?

Good question, let me see if I can find the manual thing to the ones I just got as I have little experience with them. Someone should be along to help you if not.

OK, the tech guide said nothing..not yes or no. My intuition tells me its not a good idea because it would cause all heat to rise to one end of tube. I'll be waiting with ya for the answer on this one.

THG??

Congratulations McDoobie. You are hereby elevated to the rank of MJ Scientist.
You correctly used scientific method, :bong:
Is there a known issue with mounting these vertical :fid: as a hypothesis, :joint:
and then performed an experiment that, I would say, proves that there maybe wasn't a known issue before, but now there is a known issue - the tubes blow. :huh:
Sir, you get my vote for best Newbie of the year! And I am not being sarcastic. :)

Seriously, do NOT mount regular fluoros vertical (on end). That is not in their design envelope. Not for the ballast's ability to dispose of heat; not in the probability of heat rising from the ballast ruining the capacitor and / or starter; furthermore, the heat from the ballast will have smoked the delicate phosphor coating on the inside of the tube, which is why you said 'smoked', and not only that, but if the tube were still lit, it would be emitting dangerous class B UV radiation sufficient to cause corneal and / or retinal damage and skin burns. Not to mention what it will do to your plants. (And not to get too smug, us people using HIDs need to take care of the outer envelope.)
I recommend CFLs for your next experiment.
Umm . .. if the tubes got broken, then you might want to consult the manufacturer regarding the possibility that you are going to soon have more in common with the fungal side of life.
Just j o k i n g (this last bit)

The tubes did not blow, and still work fine. I did blow a ballast in one unit, and started to overheat the second but I repaired the burnt wire and all is good. I am gonna have to find another plan as my space wont hold 4ft lights horizontally. Would I have the same issue if mounted diagonally, say maybe 45 degrees?

I always watch carefully that I am not sure of. I figured since I found nothing about it anywhere good or bad, and I have seen them mounted vertical in many applications I would give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks guys for your help.

Why use 4 ft tubes? Use 2 ft tubes instead!

Because I just got laid off and I'm trying to not spend anymore than needed. So I am using what I had available and all I have are 4ft long double tube fixtures.

I did find some 300 watts cfls today, 2700k, 4100 lumans so I bought 3 of those to help aid flowering.

The only thing I found on angles is HID/mh...which recommends no more than 15 degrees off horizontal.

McDoobie said:
Because I just got laid off and I'm trying to not spend anymore than needed. So I am using what I had available and all I have are 4ft long double tube fixtures.

I did find some 300 watts cfls today, 2700k, 4100 lumans so I bought 3 of those to help aid flowering.

300 W cFLs do not exist as far as I know. 150W is the biggest and they cost a fortune. Please use the actual, real, rating when you talk about CFLs. What were they, 45 watts? Those are about $30 each here. And you bought low colour temp ones? Maybe they were very cheap. They are trying to get rid of them I noticed. I only buy 6300K. The white spectrum contains all colours and is also useful for veg.

I never seen them before myself, but home cheapo had them at 15 bucks each today. 300w=68w.

I veg with the 150 watt lights you mentioned.

2009-10-29 20.53.30.jpg

2009-10-29 20.53.43.jpg

thoes are interesting what are ....they cool..warm and are they good for say side lighting supplementing overhead hps

Soft or warm. 2700k is good for flowering. Im using them as main lights and so far so good (48 hrs in).

are you flowering with them if so how many tomato plants and how tall.... i might buy some today for side lighting

I just started flowering with them 2 days ago. They are transplants from out in the cold I brought inside. Just 2 plants.

The standard advice I have seen for vegging is COOL white and Warm/Soft white for flowering. Personally I haven't used either yet.

ya but it seems nobody can answer me my ? wll cfl lighting the side worrrrrrrrrrrrrk

McDoobie said:
I never seen them before myself, but home cheapo had them at 15 bucks each today. 300w=68w.

I veg with the 150 watt lights you mentioned.

Those are NOT 300W. They are 68 watts. The equivalent wattage figures do not mean diddley. What are the sockets, cords, and reflectors going to cost? For the money, you could probably almost have purchased a 400W HPS (50,000 lumens compared to 12,600 lumens)

I know they are not technically 300w, but the 150w I have are = to 40w. I already had the set ups from my garage. I used to fabricate race car frames so I have tons of spot lights laying around. I paid 45 dollars so far, thats not to bad.

Ill post a few pics when the lights come on.

hemp g ....sometimes i wonder if you smoke to much...just because ive been reading your replies to some of these threads ,..and your always talking about adding more light...some people dont want to add anymore to the e bill i hear people saying on this site 1000 this 1000 that ...but serious where i live one 1000 is like 150 extra dollars a month even a 400 adds to the bill ....so some people do fine with floros ....he might not have the money for a 400 watt.......but i do agree with getting a 400 watt minimum ....for any small setup...

3rdbase said:
ya but it seems nobody can answer me my ? wll cfl lighting the side worrrrrrrrrrrrrk

"IF"... you can get them close enough to the plants that they recieve beneficial lumens.."without" shading them from the hid
"more" useable light/lumens is always better than "less"....

Latest posts

Back