Hello From Spain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only know my town and the one next to it, and it´s a huge country, so speaking personally I don´t feel a need to lock my door at night, or my car or motorbike when in town. Losing my credit card in the street it was handed into the bank, who rang and told me before I knew it had gone. This morning I saw a lady put four bags of shopping on the pavement outside a shop and go in to get some more -- no sweat. It´s a friendly town, walking into the dentist´s waiting room, everyone said "Buenas dias" and entering a bar greetings are exchanged with the other clients. My house would have cost a lot more in the UK, due to it´s scenic situation and extensive orchards, and many beautiful women walk the public path which goes through my garden, but apart from losing a few avocados and chestnuts to passers-by, crime seems non-existent. Andalucia is however, Europe´s major producer of marijuana, which might account for it being such a laid-back kind of place.

sounds like the small town that I live in , Colorado ain’t to bad of a place if one finds the right town....

what is the population of your town?

Sounds really nice, apartments with clean privacy at reasonable prices there? I'm looking on craigslist. Welcome here it's pretty cool thanks for any more information about there, and living there. I'm near 70, been here all my life, time for a change,,,

Sounds really nice, apartments with clean privacy at reasonable prices there? I'm looking on craigslist. Welcome here it's pretty cool thanks for any more information about there, and living there. I'm near 70, been here all my life, time for a change,,,

It might be a case of how much change you are prepared for -- I´m near Lanjarón, which has many YouTube videos and it´s a lovely town. However, apartments are generally very close together with little privacy, so many would not meet your requirements. Partly because it huddles against a steep mountainside, (and partly because the Spanish need less social distance than the English) the town resembles an anthill.
If you are appreciative of a little privacy, as I am, then houses just outside town have gardens, parking space and generally more room. The higher up the mountain you go, the better the views, the cheaper the price, and the harder the challenge.
You need to come and have a look, see if you resonate with a land with so much history, which continues east until the coast of China, and has seen so much change. When the Moslems invaded, they carved the mountains into terraces, and created water channels which brought the melting snow down from the high Sierra Nevada to the valleys and towns below, throughout the scorching summer, enabling people like me to grow fruit nuts and veg -- yes, my oranges are full of snow! Without that ancient work, which must equate with building a pyramid or two, this area would be a desert.
Spain´s more recent history is difficult, and still a painful memory for the older generation. Only Cambodia has more mass burials.
Maybe that´s why they seem to have such an appetite for life, and an appreciation for the value of community.
I´m glad I made the change, I find it a wonderful place to live.
Saludos desde Andalucia.

It might be a case of how much change you are prepared for -- I´m near Lanjarón, which has many YouTube videos and it´s a lovely town. However, apartments are generally very close together with little privacy, so many would not meet your requirements. Partly because it huddles against a steep mountainside, (and partly because the Spanish need less social distance than the English) the town resembles an anthill.
If you are appreciative of a little privacy, as I am, then houses just outside town have gardens, parking space and generally more room. The higher up the mountain you go, the better the views, the cheaper the price, and the harder the challenge.
You need to come and have a look, see if you resonate with a land with so much history, which continues east until the coast of China, and has seen so much change. When the Moslems invaded, they carved the mountains into terraces, and created water channels which brought the melting snow down from the high Sierra Nevada to the valleys and towns below, throughout the scorching summer, enabling people like me to grow fruit nuts and veg -- yes, my oranges are full of snow! Without that ancient work, which must equate with building a pyramid or two, this area would be a desert.
Spain´s more recent history is difficult, and still a painful memory for the older generation. Only Cambodia has more mass burials.
Maybe that´s why they seem to have such an appetite for life, and an appreciation for the value of community.
I´m glad I made the change, I find it a wonderful place to live.
Saludos desde Andalucia.
Thanks for that, it's good to hear and the coastline it's subject to many of Salvador Dali's paintings. This is aspect to Spain as well, in my mind anyway. Their youth subculture appears non-criminal and artistically creative. Pipe dream for now.

My daughter tried Spain. She said the locals were xenophobic and there were no jobs and the place was teeming with African immigrants.

My daughter tried Spain. She said the locals were xenophobic and there were no jobs and the place was teeming with African immigrants.
Not my experience at all. People are real here. Work is probably quite hard to find true - but that's partly because they look after their own first (rightly so in my opinion)
But as a retired 74 year old I'm sure my perspective is skewed.
Whatever the truth of the matter - I really love it here.
Ive lived in dozens of widely separated places in several different countries - end of next year this will be the longest place I've lived continuously in my entire life.
I highly recommend it if you're needs are few and you're not full off sh1t

my great great grandfather came to America from Portugal around 1800

i would love to visit Spain and Portugal
If you have an open mind you'd probably love it.
But if you ever decide to visit be prepared - it's totally different to the states

Well, I was thinking in terms of "180 days around the world" remember that one?:p:p:p "Time fly's like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana." quote by Groucho Marx
And "time flies" - when you throw the clock outta the window

If you have an open mind you'd probably love it.
But if you ever decide to visit be prepared - it's totally different to the states

for sure , different cultures , different ideas , I was in Europe back in the 80’s , lived in Canada a couple years , been to Jamaica 3 times , a lot of customs were definitely different , but overall , people are people wherever we,go

Latest posts

Back