Help me Start to Build My HPS Grow Cab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticWolf

Just Me
Reaction score
Okay I've done well with the veg cabs and the Mothers shelves and the cloner and the larger flower cabinets at the pod but I finally have My ducks in a row to start building Mine for here at the house.

The big issue is going to be size restriction but I also want to optimize yield...I also want to do this build for My place so I can upgrade it so Input would be great as after I get all the tools I want to try hydro in it and also down the road I want to try to add co2 as well.

I've decided to build the Flower cab around a heavy plastic super tub that is 24 inches wide inside and 36 inches long and 6 inches tall it will be a good catch pan for the bottom.

That size will hold 6, 4 gallon soil buckets so I'll be able to flower 6 plants at a shot...A friend was also telling Me I might be able to plant 2 plants per bucket for a load of 12 at a crack but I'm thinking that might hurt not help yield??? Don't know thoughts there would be good.

Now Height I can go 78 to 79 inches tall which should give plenty of room.

Now this is gonna be a work in progress as I get My duckies all saved up so people will have I hope plenty of time to add input.

Now in doing the math I'm coming up with using 1 400 watt digital HPS rig will be more than plenty of light for the size ? Again I'd like thoughts please.

Also I started looking at 6 inch air cooled sealed hoods last eve they have a 6 inch cool tube...hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48137

Or the easy cool 6 hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48150

I've never used either so I'd love thoughts here too as far as easy of use light spreading ect.

I figure both units are sealed so later on down the line when I can afford to add the co2 I'll be set.

Now I was also reading on the high tech garden site that I could use a 6 inch inline booster fan to cool the hood and not a can fan...Has anyone tried the boost inline fan? are they as good as a can fan ?

So lets start here so folks can add thoughts while I draft out the design for the cabinet ...Ohh it is gonna be plywood lined with white paint then mylar.

So add your thoughts please then after I get the rough draft We will talk about ventalation and such

So have fun helping Me tweak this spcialy chalenged design .

James

MysticWolf said:
Okay I've done well with the veg cabs and the Mothers shelves and the cloner and the larger flower cabinets at the pod but I finally have My ducks in a row to start building Mine for here at the house.

The big issue is going to be size restriction but I also want to optimize yield...I also want to do this build for My place so I can upgrade it so Input would be great as after I get all the tools I want to try hydro in it and also down the road I want to try to add co2 as well.

I've decided to build the Flower cab around a heavy plastic super tub that is 24 inches wide inside and 36 inches long and 6 inches tall it will be a good catch pan for the bottom.

That size will hold 6, 4 gallon soil buckets so I'll be able to flower 6 plants at a shot...A friend was also telling Me I might be able to plant 2 plants per bucket for a load of 12 at a crack but I'm thinking that might hurt not help yield??? Don't know thoughts there would be good.

Now Height I can go 78 to 79 inches tall which should give plenty of room.

Now this is gonna be a work in progress as I get My duckies all saved up so people will have I hope plenty of time to add input.

Now in doing the math I'm coming up with using 1 400 watt digital HPS rig will be more than plenty of light for the size ? Again I'd like thoughts please.

Also I started looking at 6 inch air cooled sealed hoods last eve they have a 6 inch cool tube...hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48137

Or the easy cool 6 hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48150

I've never used either so I'd love thoughts here too as far as easy of use light spreading ect.

I figure both units are sealed so later on down the line when I can afford to add the co2 I'll be set.

Now I was also reading on the high tech garden site that I could use a 6 inch inline booster fan to cool the hood and not a can fan...Has anyone tried the boost inline fan? are they as good as a can fan ?

So lets start here so folks can add thoughts while I draft out the design for the cabinet ...Ohh it is gonna be plywood lined with white paint then mylar.

So add your thoughts please then after I get the rough draft We will talk about ventalation and such

So have fun helping Me tweak this spcialy chalenged design .

James

sounds sweet man..
we can start off with the booster fan.. good for pushing air or "boosting" air flow but for hps heat no ive tried em and they just dont do it.. for veg/clone/mother they work alright if your not using a mh.. lol

with your idea on 12 plants scratch that. go with 6 like you planned an grow them out as planned. 12 plants 78" tall is just to crowded.... might beable to get away with it if you sog it. but once again it about the sqft.
this just my honest opinon..
LH

Well that's is what I thought too LeftHand it sounded like putting 12 in that size that would be way to tight if they fill out nice so 6 at a shot here at the House it gonna be.

That means I'm gonna need an inline can fan too I wonder though is there a creative way to say use one of the boosters and an inline can fan so I can vent the cab and the light too and keep the temps low???

MysticWolf said:
Well that's is what I thought too LeftHand it sounded like putting 12 in that size that would be way to tight if they fill out nice so 6 at a shot here at the House it gonna be.

That means I'm gonna need an inline can fan too I wonder though is there a creative way to say use one of the boosters and an inline can fan so I can vent the cab and the light too and keep the temps low???

Where theres a will there always a way..
i have a small box for flower right now and i run a 400w hps.. i also use a cool tube, gives me 360 degrees of light..
i left on end open on my cool tube, it cools the light and box, i have 2 small comp style fans for forced fresh air.
but one might beable to have the one fan and draw air frm outside the box from a tube.. and just jave an osculating fan to push air around.. but that booster would push fresh air in for sure...
hope this helped...
LH

@ LEFTHAND...Thankyou my friend for the input

Well We decided to build the box solid so it will not wear out or degrade like a grow tent can over time ...Total cost 136.32 that includes paint hardware and everything .

After picking the brains of a few that I trust close I made a bit more space in the living room and the cab going to be a bit bigger to prevent crowding.

I could not go the optimal size that was recommended but it is gonna be 79 ish inches tall ...4 foot wide ....and 32 inches deep....That was as close as I could get to the 36 inches deep recommended in this small place and Us still be able to walk around it ...I'm using Kiss flat primer for the paint and the guy mixed in an extra ounce of titanium dioxide so it should be nicely reflective ...Well better to build it right once then several times.

I know it is a little bit bigger which sadly means a 600 watt drain but I'm told it is gonna be worth it so I'm now looking at cool tubes both the 6 and 8 inch models...Just curious if any have and links to good reasonable priced ones ? ....Also I'd love to hear any experiences with the cool tube as this will be My first one?

So today is painting and prep day for the box ...Depending on drying and I know the killz can not be near the plants for 24 hours ...Then after cut and dry We will be putting her together ...

We are using 3/4 inch plywood and the tip will have two layers for support of the light and fan....

Now if I sell a few other things the light and fan will be Mine mine I say Chuckling but it gonna be a 600 watter ...I'm told lighting wise they are the best bang for the buck spent ...So wish Us luck

James

wishing you luck mystic..
also i will throw you some green mojo.. lol
sounds like you have it the way you want it... me im right behind you.
im ordering a tent though... just eaiser for my quarters... mother/veg/clone box is solid 3/4" plywood... same thing for my current flower box, but its too small for my needs now. wast thinkin ahead..
i got my 6" cool tube from a hydro store. they said it was used but doesnt look like it.. paid 99$ for it...
once again good luck, and happy growins
LH
im not to sure if i mentioned this before but home depot has a couple inline fans... dont know the price but worth to check out..... its a easy local buy..

Thanks LEFTHAND...I'll stop by the next time I'm in town see what our local Home Depots got on hand then ...I hate I'm having to do the limited space thing here at home ...but in the long run I think the unit will be expandable

James

And the way I want nah if that was true equipment would be free for everybody that has a med need Chuckles hard

Latest posts

Back