help with picking out lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyon420

Reaction score
i need help picking out some lights i am 3 weeks into flowering on my first grow i am looking for some 400w hps but there is not any hydro stores around here. my question is will any hps light do or do they make special grow bulbs for hps thanks for any help. my set up is in an unused bathroom i vegged on floros till it was 20in tall and its bagseed my plant is bout 3 1/2 feet tall now and shows quite a few small buds im using fox farm soil and nutes

Hello,

I'm not aware of any HPS thats is not used for growing but im no light expert, im bumping you up the list so someone else will reply to you.

sounds like you want a 400 watt HPS with a remote balast.

:bump:

yeah i found some lights @ home depot but im not sure if there for growing they say they are for outdoors and im not sure if they would work for growing

Order from ebay. Can get whole lighting setup. I have a feeling this plant is starving of light, no?

yeah it is starving for some good light. so what yall r sayin is DONT BUY THOSE LIGHTS FROM HOME DEPOT?

Nope. How many sq ft in space? You got a little cash laying around?

there is about 30sq ft total in the shower that im using and i really dont have that much money to throw around thats why i was looking @ home depot and other local hardware stores theres not ne hydro stores or plant stores around here i found one but its like 6hrs away so im stuck buying online i did find a good price or a switchable unit on htgsupply it was a 400w hps/hid system for around 200 bucks but i dont know how much shipping would be. the one i was lookin at that was @ home depot was like 80bucks and its local so i can just drive there "no shipping" and its cheaper but i dont know alot about lighting so i thought yall could tell me to buy it or not

30sq ft. Well, hate to tell ya this but you need some cash to make a big stash, bro.

Your not gonna get a set up at HD. Save some cash, do what you will with the plant you have now. Have you seen some of the pics on here? Imagine buds like those in your closet? Feel me?

dyon I would start with a smaller space...can you grow outside when it gets warmer?

its pretty small its 4'Lx3'wx5'h but yes i gotta farm i can grow on but its gona be a while befor it gets warm here May or July

If your saying that you can grow outside. Bro, thats a no brainer. This is a diff story. If you are able to see a plant outside thru its lifecycle in safety. Oh man. we need to get you up to speed on growing some 8ft ladies outside. You like em big and chunky?? :)

dman1234 said:
so its 12 sq ft,

a 400 watt hps will work nicely in that area

Thats what I was noticing Dman. A 4'X3'=12sqft. I would personally go for 600 watt HPS. Probably a little more than you need, however, chances are that you will want to do more and not less in the future. I have been told 5000 lumens per sqft. At 12 sqft you should have 60,000 or more lumens. The more the better. I believe you could pull it off with a 400 watter like Dman says, but I would rather be slightly over than be under as far as lighting goes. How much $ are ya workin with? Maybe if we know that, then we could give you some detailed advice on what setup to get. Good luck to ya!

I agree with erwin....I bought my 400w first and wished to god I had bought a 600w and went and bought one of those also...
a 400w will only be good for 50,000 lumens...you will be 10,000 lumens short...

Yeah i was....well i dont know wat i was thinkin but back to my first question will the street light style hps lights work 4 growin if i put a better reflector around it

Already told you no. Not sure if thats the answer you want to hear, but... To teach his own. GL

dude, i just ordered a 400 watt ballast for 125 from i believe from plant lighting hydroponics. fast delivery.

You might like to take a look at my thread "Wowee" before you decide, especially since it sounds like you will use your grow room only for veg.

Latest posts

Back