Hermie..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nvthis

I have had this male hanging around for about 6 months. I woke up this morning to something interesting. Thought I would throw up a pic fer fun..

As the male plant turns...

2008_0522May10003.JPG

male.jpg

female.jpg

According to some,males that produce female flowers can be potentially desireable for use in crosses.

Although it does seem counter intuitive doesn't it?

thats crazy, man. how'd u keep a male around for 6 months without him violating all ya girls?

You know what's really weird? This male has never done this. I have had it for a while. Last week I accidentally splashed it with some Olivias solution. Quite a bit of it actually before I realised what I was doing. I am not insisting that the two things are related but... Strangely coincidental.

zipflip said:
thats crazy, man. how'd u keep a male around for 6 months without him violating all ya girls?

It was an interesting (to me) plant/pheno from a pack of seed that I was saving for a rainy day. That rainy day would have been in about two more weeks lol. I have had to pick a few balls off him over them months.

Rockster said:
According to some,males that produce female flowers can be potentially desireable for use in crosses.

Hey Rockstar, what do you know about this? I know nothing. I have read that hermie 'males' can contribute some very favorable traits (i.e. extremely heavy resination and better yeilds? Hmmm, I dunno. If that were true everybody would want one right?) and will actually reduce future hermies???:confused2: I don't know how that works but if you have any info I would like to take a look.

There are a few breeders who talk about it. I am all for killing any Hermie. I believe Bombpuff would be the one to ask, he had some stuff posted about it before.

BuddyLuv said:
There are a few breeders who talk about it. I am all for killing any Hermie. I believe Bombpuff would be the one to ask, he had some stuff posted about it before.

Buddy, nice tip there bro. I haven't been able to find much at all. Thanks.

Holy crap, smoke, you weren't kidding. That was some pretty intense reading there. Unfortunately it never really dove into the male perspective. Bummer. I wanted pollen from this thing pretty quickly but by the looks of things this will be yet another plan scratched.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link bro, it is a good and informative thread

your welcome. sorry it was of no use other then good read..good luck 2u on your endevors:ciao:

Rockster said:

This is exactly what I am doing. See my thread, "The Backbreed Experiment". The pollen came from some Mexican brick that was really, really high smoke even though it was full of seed, stems, and leaves.
All the seeds became male sativas with purple 'cat tails'. As per notes by DJ Short, almost certainly a true breeding hermie variety and from the Oaxaca 'sweet spot'.
The 50-50 I made in the F1 cross has now fully cured and I love it.
Next is the growing of backbred F2's (the 50-50s crossed back to the sativa again) and retest the type of high achieved with the aim of selecting a hermie-free genotype as close as possible to pure sativa, with the aim of stabilising the cross into a strain.

From DJ Shorts "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis"-

"Backward" hermaphrodites are declared males that eventually sport female flowers(as opposed to the usual female to male hermaphrodite).These are rare occurences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I found to be genetically valuable. Many resinous and desirable males exhibit this trait, which almost guarantees against hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in it's progeny.

I've never used a bw herm but I am looking:D.

Bombbud, Thank you very much for dropping by!:D Looks like I'll give it a whirl then. That little tidbit might have been what I read. Thanks again, my friend. Now I'll cross my fingers and hope the pollen is viable!

bombbudpuffa said:
From DJ Shorts "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis"-

"Backward" hermaphrodites are declared males that eventually sport female flowers(as opposed to the usual female to male hermaphrodite).These are rare occurences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I found to be genetically valuable. Many resinous and desirable males exhibit this trait, which almost guarantees against hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in it's progeny.

I've never used a bw herm but I am looking:D.

Yep, that fits exactly the type that I am using as males. I still have some pollen so if it's viable, I'll have a go at using it to pollinate a female 70-30 to get even closer to the original. My real problem is that I don't have enough garden space away from prying eyes.

If a female that herms produces pollen with only xx chromosomes. Then does a male that herms produce female flowers with xy chromosomes?

trav_420 said:
If a female that herms produces pollen with only xx chromosomes. Then does a male that herms produce female flowers with xy chromosomes?
too much scientific stuff for me to know that. but either way :bump:

Latest posts

Back