Hi, I'm DonJones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonJones

Reaction score
Thsi s kind of strange but here I am a Senior Member with what I really think is an inflated reputation because I'm just a new comer ot growing anything, much less pot. I understand that the reputation isn't the result of my experience or even knowledge but the helpfulness members hav efound in my various posts.

I try to stay humble and respect my "elders" even if I'm probably one of the oldest members age wise.

Wisdom is more a result of listening, learning, reviewing what you read, see and hear to see if it makes sense in light of what you already know, both in the area you are considering and in related area that touch on the particular topic or issue under consideration at the time. Wisdom also is dependent on the ability to accept change and to admit, even if just to yourself that you don't know it all. I think knowing what you don't know is more important to wisdom than knowing what you do know or especially than what you think you know. And all of this applies equally, if not more so, to me than anybody else.

Most of what I know and my skills are the result of other people being willing to share their knowledge and experience with me and to teach me what they know so that I'm not repeating their learning cycle, bot h for what works and just as importantly for what doesn't work.

When I give personal examples of things that have happened in my life, they are to help illustrate a point or to establish credibility not to brag or try to get sympathy. Every apparently bad thing that has happened in my life has had a purpose and often was the direct result of my failure to listen to wiser people and to GOD. In comaprision to 99% of the world's population I have been blessed beyond theri wildest imaginings!

I am 62 years young, in somewhat failing health -- a lot which is due to my stubborn refusal to quit driving long haul trucking when I should have. I am the oldest of four children in a totally disfunctional family now that my parents are departed. I haven't had any contact with either of my younger brothers in years, by their choice even though untilI was forced out of business in May I was always through the last town that I knew where they lived at least once every 3 months and often once every couple of weeks. My sister and I have always had a strained relationship -- I think we both resent each other.

I have a very diversified educational back ground, knowing a little about a lot of things and a lot about no particular thing. Most of my education has been in the sciences, incliding electronics and residential electrification and data processing with the biggest single concentration in nursing. I also have an extensive back ground in mechanical maintenance withthe related fields of welding, fabrication and a little body work. I am at least a basically competent remodeler or builder and could build a house fro scratch if needed. I do NOT claim to be very skilled in any thing.

I have been on the bottom rung of nearly every field I've been involved in but have also held some positions of responsibility. As the owner/operator of my own trucking business, I was forced to learn how to do almost anything tht needed to be done for the business. I am living proof that you can operate a business for a long time on a string and a prayer, but eventually the lack of cash reserves for emergencies will cut you down. We started with a $35,000 truck loan, a paid off flatbed trailer and no reserves what so ever and supported our family and stood by our children and grandchildren when they needed it for 10 years before a blown engine in the truck with no credit or reserves to fix it shut us down in May of this year.

My ex-wife live together and drove team for years after her health forced us to divorce in order to get her the medical care I couldn't afford to get her.

We have NO savings and have been surviving on her $675/month SSI since her terminal but stable kidney failure disabled her and my $243/month service connected disability benefit since May. My first ss retirement check is due to arrive on the 3rd of next month. Our home mortage is in default and headed towards foreclosure, but we just keeping on keeping on. GOD will provide if we just keep the faith and follow where HE leads us.
We are blessed far more than many people within our own circle of acquaintance.

I have lived on the fringes of the pot culture all of my adult life but usually had work that exposed me to frequent random drug testing so I never smoked much until I go my medical marijuana recommendation. I stil don't smoke much -- not nearly as much as my kids say I should because I'm so used to toughing the pain out.

I have also lived on the edge of the outlaw biker world all of my adult life including driving truck for one of the actual higher up local Hells Angels during an intensive but unsuccessful attempt by law enforcement to shut the chapter down. It has been years though since I have ridden my bike because I have never had time since I went into business for ourselves or to even keep it running. Every spare minute and dollar went into keeping the trucks and trailer running.

I spent 7 years in the US Air Force stationed at Fairchild AFB here in Spokane, WA and never left after my discharge.If your are intersted inmore information on how I got to where I am, just read ky various posts because I get distracted, long winded and probably reveal more about myself than I should, but I'm just what you see and if that's not good enough, well so long.

My growing experience is actually rather limited. I started my first grow with the help of my oldest son in May when we started my first clones. Before he went to prison for dealing befoe he got his recommendation, he helped me through 2 small grows with mixed results. The current crop is my first solo grow and if the current p0rogress of my 9 MTFs is any indication, I'm going to have a killer crop. I'm still learning. I just switched nutrients form my son's old school crap to Future Harvest Development from extremegrowing.com in Kelowna, BC. I strongly suggest if you are open to a different nutrient line that is both very effective and inexpensive -- Under $60/10 plant cycle start to finish, give them a look.

I'm headed to hydro because I try supply several patients off of each recommendation by giving all of it to one patient and then letting them distribute it amongst themselves, so I have to worry about both quantity and quality. That keeps me legal but limits the amount of plants that I can have. We curently have 2 recommendations in the house and are real close to getting the third one plus we currently have one patient that we are legally supplying. If we can get 3 recommendations and 3 designated providers then we can apporach that magic 100 plant limit, if we cn find room to grow them all. But considering that we are trying ot expand our variety base by growing from seed, we are going to have alot of small plants waitingto show thier sex until we get every thing set up to run clones off of mothers, so that makes the room a little bit less critical than it will be once we get to running full bore using clones. I think we are goign to be forced to run partially autos so that we don't have to be moving so many plants around and switching them into flower. Also, even though the per plant yield is less with the autos over a year we should actually increase our yield by incorporating autos what with their much quicker life cycle plus it will lets us keep a more consistent crop availability rather than feast or famine.

If anyone has any questions or wants more information, just ask and I'll try to get it and locate the personal information posts for you.

good smoking

:welcome: old friend :48: Your in the same boat as me, Jack of all trades master of none.

Thats some writeup Don. Hope you and your wifes health improves.
And thank you for your 7 years of service to our great nation.

don, your willingness to help and compassion for others is to be comended, sir. i look forward to all your posts. i know 'the jack of all trades, master of none' and the many different 'hats' that must be worn also, (22 yrs owner-op). if we can learn from our mistakes, then we are better off for it. best of luck and my prayers to you and yours. i know you'll keep up the good work that you do for others, if you need any thing, send me a PM. if ya just need an ear i'm a good listener. good luck my friend, $:)

Hey Don, you forgot to add that you're a fantastic natural teacher! Your instructions are so detailed, so carefully thought out and well organized that they are invaluable.

Yes, I know you are WAY too humble to sing your own praises. But what you are doing to help people like me--all the unpaid hours you put in thinking, researching, then carefully writing up your instructions--well, to me, that's the stuff that makes for a compassionate and phenomenal human being.

I cannot BELIEVE you have gotten me to take apart a metal halide ballast--this is so far out of my realm, I could not even have imagined myself doing it a week ago. But here I am, parts all over the floor, feeling giddy with excitement about all I'm learning. You give me HOPE!

For those who aren't members of the Female Grower's Group, Don has jumped in to give me extremely detailed information on converting MH ballasts (very cheap on Craigslist) to remote ballasts. Now, I'm a total art/English major, and that stuff is so beyond me it's not funny. But Don is making it all very accessible, understandable, and setting me up for success. It's a great thread, and worth checking out.

You can't put a price on that stuff, Don. Or, you COULD, but you don't. <G>
That puts you up there with the angels, my man. Don't be so humble that you can't stop and take a bow for all the GOOD you do for so many people!

Welcome Don ! I couldnt agree more . I too am only 50 ? , an amputee with enough health problems for a couple peeps. Hvac field design / installation and Service. Did more than was ever needed but my need to make others happy.at my own expensive. Now it's having to sit still and listen to otehers needs and try my best to give appropriate response based on "Their abilities".
I too have gone DWC So You'll notice me poppin in ~Meds

ozzydiodude said:
:welcome: old friend :48: Your in the same boat as me, Jack of all trades master of none.

Hey Don, I think you know how much you are appriciated by me, If you don't, then I guess I'm here to tell you that you are. I too appriciate all the help that you offer to new, and old growers on this site. Yes you may sometimes be long winded, but sometimes, thatis what is needed to get the point across. I think long winded is probably not as accurate as, very detail oriented, and organized. So many sometimes (myself included) try to convey a message in a couple of sentences, that in all rights deserves several paragraghs, and it's nice that you are willing to take the time to type all info out in detail.

It's amazing to me how you "genuinely" care about people on this site who you don't even really know...that sir is to be comended. You have patience with newbie questions that have been asked thousands of times, and you continue to respond, when most of us either ignore them, or answer in the breifest way possable...saying read this..lol.

I'm glad you took the time to "introduce yourself" a little bit more than what we already knew about ya...I feel like I knoe you a little bit better now

Okay people, I surrender. I accept your compliments

Now what I'm about to say in NO way implies that I think I'm a hero because nothing could be farther from the truth' but I feel just like the real heros always, without exception say "I don't understand all of the hoopla. I didn't do any thing everyone of my buddies would have done in my place and I was just doing what I was supposed to do -- not anything special."

I'm just doing what I was taught to do as far as right and wrong goes, and what I have almost always been taught to do by my mentors/teachers/benefactors -- "share your knowledge just like I shard mine and help others when you see them in need just like I helped you because the reason I helped you in the first place was because someone helped me a long time ago and told to help others for the rest of my life."

I would not be here today without a lot of people taking a lot of time and effort to help me learn a needed skill or lesson even when I didn't want ot learn it. I would also probably starved to death if people hadn't helped me and my family.

I still don't think I'm doing anything special, just doing what GOD put me here to do and what I know is the right thing to do. Maybe I'm just a lot more obedient to GOD than I thought.

Oh, you guys forgot about probably my biggest flaw -- I have absolutely NO patience for fools and idiots who admit they don't know the answer, ask for help and then want to argue with every answer they get. See I'm human too.

Now I'm not always the quickest learner my self, but there is a vast difference in asking for clarification because you just don't get it, discussing why the answer doesn't fit with what you had been taught and arguing and basically calling the person who to the time to answer the question either a liar or an uneducated ignorant person who doesn't know what he/she is talking about. These of you who have even remotely followed my threads and many of my posts will agree that a lot of the time I just don't get it -- or a lot of the time just don't realize that I got it -- and will discuss why it doesn't seem to make sense or match other things that I know are true, versus thinking I know the answer. But I try to never ague with an answer to a question that I didn't know about when I asked it.

For anyone who wants to learn more about me and who should really be getting the credit for what I've become, please go to my last couple of distracted long winded posts in my grow room that is linked in my signature.

However, when you are reading about my teachers and male role models realize that there are several unsung and unmentioned female heros without who's patience and log suffering none of the lessons from my male role models would have sunk in. They are my currently ex-wife -- who should have left me years ago or even better shot me and put me out of everyone's misery -- but better half and the mother of my children, my mother and mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and probably the one person along with my Grandpa who taught me the most about "tasking care of our own, but also dealing with us when it is over if we are wrong, my "Mom" who is my mother's mother. To this day I don't know why I was not only allowed but encouraged to call her "Mom" just like I did my mother. I was the only grandchild who was allowed much less encouraged to call her that.

I PMed Hick and asked about getting the Female Growers Group their own section just like the Marijuana Hydroponics, Hash, General Indoor Growing and so on so that they can post threads on particular topics as threads so it is easier to follow rather than having everything jumbled together and run on. If you think they deserve more than just one little continuous thread of nearly 700 post to go through trying to find some thing that you know someone said, then by all means PM Hick and ask him to help them get their little corner in our world.

Ladies, I want you all to know and believe that many, and probably most, of the men out in the wide expanse of the "big boy" forums, see mijavemama you started something that has stuck in my mind as just the opposite of what you meant by it, would really appreciate a woman's point of view and input. Women have different way of looking at things that often make it a lot easier to understand or even to follow what we men know is the right thing to do. And even when a woman is just one of the guys and swears, drinks, tells "dirty"jokes and so on right along with us, I have always thought that just having a female in the group tended to smooth the rough edges on just about anything the group did.

Ladies, here is one rednecked sucker that welcomes you any where any time and does his best to see that you are treated with respect -- not put on a pedestal -- but respected and valued. Sometimes I feel almost like if you girls didn't need us to procreate you could probably get long just fine in an all female world, much like the pot plants do. If you girls could clone yourselves you probably wouldn't need us men. I would hope you would still want us but I think we need you a lot more than you need us.

See what you all started. I thank you for your compliments an respect. I will try to not betray it.

Good smoking.

Don, I was raised above an auto repair shop, the family business, so I really should have much more practical knowledge in electronics and mechanics. I was far more interested in paint colors and prep work. No way was anyone going to try to pass off an orange peel paint job on one of my customers!

I feel as you do, that we, as human beings, have a responsibility to reach out to others when we have that opportunity. I believe in the concept of service to humanity, and find that teaching is truly "enlightened sharing."
When I have taught, I always learn something new from my students.

I also think it's marvelously humbling to try something outside our realm of comfort, to stretch and grow.

So, you have my admiration Don, for caring enough about humankind to take those opportunities to help others--and I DO believe that "paying it forward" comes back to us threefold.

Thank you again for all you do, and all you are. We can't always change the hand we are dealt, but what we do with it makes all the difference.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work for me in Poker. I have never been able to hold 'em and fold 'em at the right time. <G>

mojavemama,

Heck I never did even figure out which one to hold if I could see the other player's hands. I think an Ace high straight flush wins in 5 card, but I'm not even sure of that, so you're way ahead of me. About the only thing that I know is any kind of stud or hold'em is way too risky for me because you can get way in before there are enough cards out to have any idea what your hand is worth. Its kind of ironic though because I couldn't win at 21 if I was dealt a 10 and an Ace, but people say I'm lucky for them like as a charm or mascot.

How did your trip to HD go today?

I will know for sure if my conversion works for HPS too because I found about 10 HPS 400 watt assemblies for $35 each.

Incidentally, my advice to watch craigslist got me an offer of a used 400 watt ballast, bulb and reflector for $139 tonight. Of course it was from a new and used dealer. I'll just stick with my other dealer that makes a fair profit rather than what ever the market will bear.

However, you can find some killer deals if you can find someone wanting to get rid of their unused equipment.

Give me a shout when you get ready for the next step on your light. If you can get me a couple of pictures showing the details of the socket end, it would help me think about what to do next. Also, pleas check the FGG thread for TCBud's last post and my reply
Good smoking.

DJ.. it isn't just your knowlwdge and wisdom, it is your willingness/eagerness to jump to the front and help by sharing it .. that you should be commended for.
THANKS!

hello and welcome DonJones :ciao:

looks like you have found your niche in our MJ community :peace:

Latest posts

Back