How did your parents find out you toked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMT

Reaction score
I was over at a friends house tonight for a smoke and to give him some hash for his 40th birthday.
Anyways the conversation came around somehow to how our parents knew we smoked and when we started to smoke weed and grow it.

He doesn't grow but has taken in plants for me years ago in a security issue, he said his parents knew when he started to play bob marley and developed a sudden unhealthy interest in oil burners and joss sticks.

My parents found out i smoked when i was 16/17 i told them i smoked hash and while they weren't happy they were happy on another level as they felt i knew i could be honest and talk to them about anything.

I was banned from smoking it in the house but the garden or the fields were ok, on reflection it was probably their way of trying to see how often i smoked.
My parents knew i started growing when a hps setup surrounded by survival blankets appeared in my bedroom.
After my first crop cannabis was deemed to smelly to be grown in the house but on our land or in the out buildings was ok

So how about the rest of you folk, be interesting to hear parents views on their kids smoking as well.

i went on holiday with them ,,,and went into my room for a quick smoke ,,,

when i came out ,,they just looked at me and said feel better now :rolleyes:

i just said yeah great thanks ,,and it was left at that

i was 25 at the time ,but they later informed me they had known for many yrs ,,i wasnt real good at hiding it :p

although they dont smoke ,mj ,,they have no issues with me smoking or growing it ....:peace:

my mother found out i smoked in 1970. one of older sisters rolled up a fatty and handed to my mother while we were at the dinner table. my sister told her to try it before you condemn it. my mother took a big hit and passed it to me, so i took it. she found out i was growing when she was dying and needed the meds.

My parents know I smoke?

When I lived at home, I didn't smoke so it really wasn't an issue. When I failed a drug test for a job my dad was getting me, the cat was out of the bag. My Dad told me that he was proud of me and if he got me another job, don't mess it up. I have A LOT of brothers and sisters, and am the youngest. After I started smoking I would always smoke out with my brothers and their friends. My sisters never smoked, but have known that I did. So, I'm sure that made it's way back to my parents (it always does in a big family).

However, now that I am in my 30's, I really feel like the less people who know about it the better, and that includes family. I would much rather people see me and think that I am just another soccer mom. Everything that I do is a reflection on my family. That is the reason that I grow (under lock and key), because I would rather people not know. And because I am at a place in my life that I really don't want to associate with the people who sell.

I would much rather have to deal with finding out that my kids were smoking then for them to realize their mom does.

When I was around 17 and had been smoking a couple years, my cousin told me that my mother and her mother smoked together at their house. The next time I had some real good Hawian I offered to smoke some with her. She said she would take the joint but not smoke it with me. I told her it was a social thing, and I would keep my J if it was okay with her. Now Dad, I think I was 40 the first time I discused my MJ use with him openly.

My daughter could smell it when she was old enough to know what it was (I was mostly smoking in the evening just as I do now, not in front of her then), and she was raised to be honest with me. She smoked it in High School, tho in College she stopped. High School, I would say it affected her grades some, and stopping also only some. She was more focused on school in College. She was ready for college when he junior year ended, had all her college prep classes done (I made sure of that) reguardless of her smoking pot. Now ciggarettes, that was another matter, I was very upset when she told me she smoked cigs. I offered her $500 to quit, she tried, but then started lying to me, telling me she had quit. I smoked at the time and really couldnt tell. She never agreed to quit for the money tho. I tell her now, I dont want to hear about those high school parties, sometimes she insists and we have a good laugh.

When i was about 16 I had spent the night smoking Hash with a friend out of a brand new bong. When i went to put my bong away that night i noticed the screen was missing (popped out easy cuz it was new, grrr) but i had been all over town so i ignored it.
Next morning me and my mother are walking up the stairs and she stops and says, "What's that?'. I look down and there's the screen. I'm not too worried i figure i can bluff my way out( 'it's from the sink mom' or maybe just a 'i dunno..') and as I'm mentally gearing up she smells it and says, "oh my God, thats HASH. YOOOOOU'VE been smoking HASH!!". It gets really bad, really quick, and i end up in my room while she cools off and then hits me..... WAAAAAAIT a minute. How do YOU know that's Hash? You should be smelling it and saying 'this is drugs' or 'this is marijuana' but to recognize Hash. hmmmmmmmn

I'm 19 and living with my parents. Both are retired so they are at home all day long. We live in a 3 bedroom flat so smoking with someone at home is not an option.

Few friends know that I smoke. The rest ar just narrow-minded and wouldn't understand it so I decided it is best for me that they don't know.

When we smoke, we smoke outside and stay outside untill the effects run off. (We're not heavy smokers YET). I learnt to "hide" the efects when a neighbour talks to me, my mom is calling etc. But I can't hold them off for long.

One day I said to my mom that I want to smoke mj. I explained that it's better and healthyer than alcohol and in smart parts of the world it is legal and used in medical pourposes.

She understood and said that she has no problem with it as long as I won't get into trouble. I smoked in the house, only at night, before and after I told her... but never "showed myself" in front of her. I think it will be way too akward...

My dad won't think as clear as my mom so it's our little illegal secret. Too bad she's scared and she won't let me grow. It's a matter of time untill she sees that I have 4 little mj plants in my window.

When I'll have enough in my stash I will bake her some brownies.

As a conclusion... She didn't found out... I told her.

Actually i did not smoke pot or drink til i was out of high school. TRUE !
When in high school i 1st saw a guy smoking a roach, he inhaled so hard he sucked it down his throat and was gagging.

My parents did not find out til i was about 24 or 25 when my wife after a fight told my mom....................
OMG the frigin lecture............."you'll embarrass the family'.........."do you need help"............ "what if your father finds out", which he never did, he's a REAL HARDA**.....a judge, now retired.

I was real upset with her, a womens scorn................

I never even heard the word "marijuana" the entire time I went thru high school (early 60s). Very quickly after highschool, I won a free trip to Southeast Asia (compliments of a rich uncle) and it was there I became acquainted with the evil weed. I never went back home after the service, so I doubt very seriously whether my parents had any idea about it. Its a moot point now.

Yall are freakin lucky.

How my parents found out? The same way they found out that I drank.
I called them from the police station, cause I needed a parent to come sign me out and take me home.

I left home when I was 14,(don't ask) but was 17 when this happened. I was still very close to my family. My older brother (by 9 years) and I got caught smoking behind a VFW. We got arrested and dragged to the local police department. My brother called our mom to get him out . When they asked if she was gonna bail out the other guy she said " no, let him call his family" then my brother said "you are his family". My mom figured since I wanted to be an adult, it was up to me to get out of this fix. My brother borrowed money from our sister and bailed me out ( told the intake officer he was my gaurdian). To this day my Mom says that is the proudest moment she ever had, concerning me ( I never asked, nor expected anyone one to help). I have always been independant to point of bullheadedness. Sometimes a gift, sometimes a curse. My Mom now says to me, and my three brothers, smoke that in the back yard not in my house. She's a grand ol' broad.

great stories. i was 19 & moved home from an art school & had a tackle box w/ "art supplies" in it. well one evening i had put on a cheech & chong LP. track was "sgt. stadenko" funny as hell. just snuffed one out & put down tp roll w/ drier sheets & low & behold mom w/ "art bin" walked in. whips it open. now mind you almost every smoking device i owned was in there lined w/ firearms foam. my jaw hit ground said yup i like weed. never saw those pieces again. funny thing is she never knew about me just putting one out when she walked in.

I hit my Fathers stash a little too hard one weekend. He didn't say anything but his look spoke volumes.

His combination was 4-2-0. I didn't find out what ment till many years later.

When I was about 21 I was visiting with my dad at his apt.
There had recently been a bust in town and he asked me if I had heard about it. I told him that I kinda knew one of the guys.
Then he starts talking about one time(shortly after I left home)that he found marijuana growing behind the garage that he "extricated and destroyed".
I told him the seeds were mine and a kid in school gave them to me.
He was shocked only for a short time and then said " I always thought it was the Air Force guys renting from us".
I never actually told my mom but I think she had some idea that I had tried it.

Gb

I was a sophomore in high school but had been smoking long before that. My buddy brought over a joint that he bought from this kid who always sold them at school for $5, pre-rolled and everything :laugh:

It was cold as hell and snowing outside so I got the bright idea to go into my room, lock the door and smoke it in there (so stupid).

So me and my friend are huddled around my window smoking this joint when I hear through the vent above us my older sister say "What is that smell? Is that weed!?"

Then me and my buddy hear the sound of someone stampeding down the stairs and a loud bang on my door. I do the "hold on, hold on" ...but she didn't listen. Next thing I know my door is busted down! My mom kicked down my bedroom door- this is totally out of character for her! You should have seen the look on my friends face haha while my sister has a big smile on hers ...I love my family.

I remember looking at my mom just saying "Why in the hell would you go and do something like that!? Now I'm just going to have to fix the door!"

When I think back I believe she was more making an impression for my friend- saying she doesn't condone this activity here. But after that incident she really didn't make a big deal out of it anymore. She actually told me she would rather have me smoke than drink alcohol any day.

It was 1969 okay, all across the USA--I was home for the 2nd Atlanta Pop Festival and my mom broke one of those sacred rules by going through my belongings while I was watching Hendrix do The Star Spangled Banner with a body part you would have never suspected could strum a guitar. She found a pack of Zig Zags and a small bag of swag with $800 dollars wrapped around it. A poor feshman with $800 bucks seemed sketchy to her so she forwarded it to my dad. He looks at it, says, "Here. Don't call your mother's house from jail." And we never discussed it again, and I never called my mom's house from jail--not that I didn't want to a few times. Ever been in jail in Mexico for having too much fun? I've seen better dog houses than the jail in Nuevo Laredo in 1972.:cool:

When I was a teenager I lived in a separate little building in our back garden. It was a sweet setup and I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted back there. One night I was watching tv, I must have been 17, I had just smoked a couple bowls when my dad walks in without any warning.

I knew I was screwed cause there was no way out of this one and I couldn't lie. Plus I was far too baked to care at that point that I was being caught. My dad took a deep breath, looked around and said, "Marijuana, huh?" I replied "yup." He took another deep breath and said "well, at least its not cigarettes." Then he turned and walked out. No trouble, no yelling, no "I'm very disappointed in you young man."

When I look back I suppose he already suspected it. We have even smoked together a hand full of times since then.

Latest posts

Back