How soon is normal yellowing of fan leaves in Flower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastyness

Reaction score
My girls are on day 30-39 of flowering. Fed them yesterday with normal bloom nutes at same strength I've been using for the past weeks.
Because I was starting to see some yellowing I added 10ml-15L of Flora Nova Bloom to get them a little nitrogen (7-4-11).

When I got lights on they all looks a little sick. Many of the fan leaves went really yellow and the green on the leaves looks a bit washed out.

The BCD were hit hard- though this could just be fan leaves starting to turn.
I'm a total newbie so am not quite sure what is normal and what needs help.

Gave them some plain pHd water and they are due for watering today.
What do you all think.

See grow journal for more details if needed- or just ask and I'll respond.

I realize I'm being a bit of a nervous nellie - but we've done awesome up until now with your help.

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

Your PH is outtta whack I think. The yellowing and twisting usually is good sign, before it gets worse. Not sure how to help if your PH'ing the water after nutrients are added. When the leaves twist a bit, something is off with PH and their not uptaking what you are supplying correctly.

I think nouvel is correct....get that in check..they should be okay..those look to be lower leaf

I take that back. I just looked at your journal. With only a tiny bit of time left, 10% or less, some yellowing can happen. If you want it darker and you keep her around next time, feed it a bit stronger as you get to your last waterings, give or take. The rest of the ladies in their are dark green, so i would just assume you didnt feed her string enough, thats all.

Could the Flora Nova (a chemical nute) be playing havoc with the organics? It is my understanding that chemical nutes when used with organics kill off the beneficials in the soil?

I agree pH is probably out of whack.

They got a good long drink of plain - 24 hr declorinated water.
Look a bit happier already.

How can excess wind (my turbo fan may be part of the problem) affect plants?

I've heard good things about BlueLabs meters- any feedback before I order.
Thinking of getting the
Bluelab Combo Meter™
Better crops start with the Bluelab Combo Meter, it's all you need for simple and reliable crop management and it's all within arms reach. It is a conductivity, pH and temperature meter all in one.

Or is that more than I need. I currently grow in soil/coco but could try hydro sometime in the future. Right now I only do pH- I don't have a meter to measure ppm. I also will probably experiment with SS when we move to our new place at some time in the future- where I don't have to worry about all this pH stuff!

blue labs are great from what Ive read...glad to hear they look better today

4u-
I'm torn between getting the meter with the probes (one for pH / one for ppm) and all the paraphernalia to clean and care for it
Or just two pens (which look really cool and easy to use)

The good news is fresh calibration solution came in the mail yesterday so I should be able to manage with my current meter while waiting for new one to arrive.

how is your humidity running . . . with dry air < 50% and windspeed combined, it could overtax transpiration on the larger leaf surfaces and cause curling/drying also

i run blue lab no problems but they are my first meters and i have no basis for comparision.

Dan K. - Humidity is 53-58% when I'm lucky. And I've had a few high spikes in the last few days (fan issues and ductwork). I've pulled the turbo fan out of there- back to good oscillation. I'm also opening all the flaps when lights are on to help with air flow. I think issue has been pH related- we will see how they bounce back after today's feeding.

New2
- How long have you had the meters for? Which style do you have? Pens or the box with the probes?

i have the pens. i think i paid 160ish for both of them a few months ago. i think if I ever get the style meter you are talking about I would get the Gaurdian but thats just me. I'm sure you will make the right choice for your style.

I thijnk that guardian is a really nice setup. The combos are nice, but if you are in soil and not mixing any liquid nutes then the TDS meter is unnecessary expenditure. Just get the PH pen. I have the single PH pen and like it very much. It is far easier to keep calibrated because the cap allows you to keep a small amount of cal fluid around the bulb. It also alerts you when it is time to recalibrate it, which is very handy. It has the thermometer on it as well so that you can check temps. Well worth the money in my opinion :)

I have a ph and temp pen that I absolutely love. It is a HM digital PH80. I think it was around 40 bucks but beat the heck out of the Milwaukee I had.

I've had the blue lab guardian for about a year now. One of the best toys for growing I've gotten. I keep the probes in my hydro res which is always full, for constant readings.

With that said, if you're in soil the pen(s) maybe easier. Unless you keep a constant reservoir you draw from. My only problem with the pens was the PIA it was to use in a half full 55 gallon drum.

Whatever you decide on I would get one made by a reputable manufacturer. Everyone i know who bought cheap, including myself, got a good one within a year.

Update:
I ended up going with the BlueLab Combo meter. Found it at a great price.
The 5 yr warranty and replaceable probe (in case something happens to mine). With the pen - it is only a year and if you break it- you gotta buy a new one.

I may do hydro someday- and the nutes I currently use do have a lot of tweaking that is done by ppm.

Should be here soon- in the meantime I hobble along with cheap pen. Luckily I got new solution and that seemed to give me some confidence that I've got pH in range. Not optimal, but doable.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll check in when my toy arrives.

I love that it will tell me when it needs to be recalibrated and that it auto adjust for temperature. Oh yeah- and it shuts itself off! Will save me a lot in batteries because I can be forgetful.

How can excess wind (my turbo fan may be part of the problem) affect plants?

Deformed leaves, black edging along leaf's edge, looks real bad,but will recover.ime;)

Latest posts

Back