Howdy all, How to reduce stretch at germination?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleZipper

Reaction score
I'm a beginner and have already learned so much. All my seeds have germinated in the past and this is my second batch of 5 seeds. So far, I'm learning from my growing mistakes (sometimes costly ones). What started out as curiosity and a "ehhhh, throw it in sum dirt n' see what happens" attitude has evolved into a hobby. -I took 5 seeds (sw fem.)and germinated them in a humidity dome w/ heat pad after soaking in water/dark. It took me about two more days to set up a grow room and in that time they stretched... big time! -They're all seedlings, in the 1st stage of "real" leaves, under 250 watt MH about a foot above... and they all need stakes! :) The fan hasn't helped stiffen stems either... Hmmmmm? :) -I also used MirGrow Seed Starter...oops! If they've stretched so much, does transplanting them deeper mean sinking the stem 4 inches at least? Is that possible to do without killing them? - I have much better soil for next batch and am planning to just use bags over cups. Then I put them directly into veg. room(MH) in the hopes that as soon as they sprout the MH will keep them from stretching and help promote shorter/bushy plants with stiff stems and lots-o-veg...right?!?. How does all this sound to you? -It gets confusing when some of the info. seems to contradict other info....Egats! Any thoughs/advice would be appreciated. -Ohhh... that curious seed I first planted was such a runt (no light, very cold, bad dirt... and much more)! It was pale(didn't want to use fert.too early) and the first few sets of leaves were leggy. It basically didn't grow. I put it under MH and now it has a bushy, "phat", green tip of leaves.They're all very,very tiny leaves. It's funny lookin'! :) -Feel free to ask any questions if it'll help my grow... -Thanks

hello purplezipper to answer your question yes you can bury the stem that has stretched. When you go to transplant your babies just bury them up to the first set of leaves. It will take care of the stretch that has occurred and allow the plant to support itself again!

You can anticipate doing this and start with 6" square pots. Only fill them halfway with potting mix. Put your germed seeds in them. Once the seeds have come up, keep adding mix until the level is 1/2" inch from the top. Keep a fan on them 24/7 with enough light and they will be fat and happy.

Thanks LHL. They're already 4in. tall at the least so thought that seemed deep for the roots. I'll find a happy medium. That's good to know.

Thanks 420Benny (nice name btw) Very helpful. I'll do that and it saves me the hassle of having to transplant right away. Sooner is better than later when establishing the right height.

Latest posts

Back