Humidity question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TentFarmer

Super Doobie
Reaction score
I know that low humidity is ideal for flowering but is there a point at which it's a bad thing. I'm testing my setup and while I have temp under control, my humidity seems to stay below 20. I have a cool air humidifier in the tent running and it doesn't seem to budge.

I had a similar situation last grow, but once I introduced plants the humidity rose. Any suggestions?

Thanks

interesting... i have a similar problem... i have heard that you are supposed to keep it around 25. my humidity stays around 35. i have tried everything, but short of a air conditioner (cold outside, f- that) i cant really change it...

to raise your humidity i would just get a "mold control" humidifier, any wal mart, 55.00...i think... just a humidifier that has a built in hydrometer, so it regulates...

Small fans circlating the air in the room is a cheap and efficient way.

iClown said:
Small fans circlating the air in the room is a cheap and efficient way.

yes but even with two large fans in my small area 2 x 3 x 4 and it still remains at around 35

How is the air getting out of your area and where does it end up? Maybe it's holding moisture? Pics?

i have an exhaust fan that blows out of the cabinet through 6" ducting... through my cooltube...

Tentfarmer- Are you growing in soil or hydro? What are your temps running?
You must be in a very dry climate or you're furnace/heating is really dry. My grow is in my basement and when the humidity gets too low I just wet the concrete floor. Some wet rags in a bucket would do the same thing.
I usually keep my humidity around 40% and always end up with a great female to male ratio.

I live in tha south,,my closet temp I keep at around 76%,, hum 49 . I have huge stalks because I have LOTS of air moving. My plants love it.

That is refreshing :D

i guess as long as the air is moving a lot, should nt be a problem... my girls are thriving anyway, looking very nice.

curiouscat420 said:
That is refreshing :D

i guess as long as the air is moving a lot, should nt be a problem... my girls are thriving anyway, looking very nice.

:yeahthat:

BBFan said:
Tentfarmer- Are you growing in soil or hydro? What are your temps running?
You must be in a very dry climate or you're furnace/heating is really dry. My grow is in my basement and when the humidity gets too low I just wet the concrete floor. Some wet rags in a bucket would do the same thing.
I usually keep my humidity around 40% and always end up with a great female to male ratio.

My furnace is key here. Cold winters, hot summers and lots of dry air inside. I would consider wetting the concrete but I've built a plastic bubble to keep the smell down. I'm running a humidifier that has got me up over 20 but never over 25. I'll try the rags in a bucket idea.

Thanks

you said this is a test run so when you get ur plants in there w/ buckets holding water or soil holding water it will bump it up also. if still low i place shallow bowl under fan & this helps

You know, I'll have to read up on humidity. I don't really remember the cons of having low humidity. I know that the plants use more water. The humidity is presently 12%, with a nice cool 97 degree temperature. Supposedly the stomata close up when it's hot, but there's not much to be done right now. I hope this crap stops, it might slow the growth a bit. Oh well, the girls are happy.

Some plants of certain strains might like hot, arid weather, especially during flowering. Something tells me though, this bud's going to be really nice. It'll soon be time to break out with the scope and start looking at those trichs.

docfishwrinkle said:
you said this is a test run so when you get ur plants in there w/ buckets holding water or soil holding water it will bump it up also. if still low i place shallow bowl under fan & this helps

Actually I do have 3 little plants in there. I couldn't help myself but sprout a few seeds from some bag seed to play with. They just got transferred into their containers last night, but the Ebb system has been running for a few days now. I've got another 3 seedlings that just got transferred to their "rooting cube thing."

I've ordered off for some magic beans but I bought single femanized seeds to get my best bang for the buck (I'm a cloner anyways). I want to pollinate a few lower branches for future seeds. The bag seed strain I grew previously got some amazing reviews. I personally feel there will be no harm in crossing some widow, strawberry, blueberry, ak47 or super skunk with it. Heck it was amazing without crossing it with anything. I just want to get some variety and to be all fancy like with my named buds.

I bet I'm the only guy on this site crossing my fingers for a male.

The way I raise my humidity (I have a 4'x9'x7' tent) is place a 5 gallon bucket,fill it partialy with water(play with the level till its ideal 4 u)and insert an active airstone.The bigger the stone and more powerfull the air pump,the higher your moister will be.I use an 80 gal. air pump and a big round airstone.Hope this works 4 you as well as it does 4 me.

I might combine your idea with mine. My humidifier works pretty well but the tank doesn't last very long. I wanted to run a line to a 5g bucket for a few days worth of water. However the option of throwing an air stone in the bucket might just be a winner.

For the moment I'm doing nothing. After all, it's what I do well.

Peace

Latest posts

Back