i need help from hydro guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emptypackofcigs

Reaction score
i need some help from some hydro professionals... i'm gonna build a Ebb n Flow system... and im gonna use a big tray for my hydroton grow rocks... and i am gonna hook it up to a 20 gallon res... with a small pump to pump the water up and drainage holes with hoses attatched to the tray to the res... on for 15 min 3 times daily... how often am i gonna have to replace the water? i just want to know so i know how many nutes i need... any help would be great thanks

well in my resevoir i replace every 10 -14 days they sugggest every 2 weeks but im using a airstone and resevoir not sure for what ur trying to set up but im sure its the same

emptypackofcigs said:
i need some help from some hydro professionals... i'm gonna build a Ebb n Flow system... and im gonna use a big tray for my hydroton grow rocks... and i am gonna hook it up to a 20 gallon res... with a small pump to pump the water up and drainage holes with hoses attatched to the tray to the res... on for 15 min 3 times daily... how often am i gonna have to replace the water? i just want to know so i know how many nutes i need... any help would be great thanks

It depends on how much water your plants use each day.

My ebb and flow doesn't require any changing of water other than what is added each day as fresh solution. I put two gallons of fresh solution in it each day to replace what the plants use. It's an 18 gallon reservoir. That means that every 9 days, I've changed out the entire volume of the reservoir. No other changing is necessary. You should size yours to be the same.

If your reservoir was of a huge size, you still shouldn't have to change it but every 30 days. That's what the commercial growers of veggies do.

Any more than that and you're just throwing away good nutes.

Likewise. I use 6 gal. reservoirs and I am just getting ready to harvest some that have not had the water swapped once. There is some buildup of Fox Farm's Big Bloom but no problems. ;)

oh wow... okay... thats what i really love to hear... thanks guys peace

If you do need to change it, very often you will notice a fairly quick rise in PPM that isn't explained by you making a mistake and adding too many nutes. That, and/or you'll find it nearly impossible to keep your ph steady. Like ph will climb way high or fall way low the day after you adjust it. And that'll keep happening for a couple or three days. If either one of these things happens to me, I'll change the res.

You want to keep resevoir changes at 7 days to prevent algae build up if you want to get rid it altogether ad an air pump from the aquatics store, the roots love it too. How big is the hydro setup? I used drip irragation for vegetative and ebb and flow for flowering.Ebb and flow is a breeze to maintain other than resevoir changes and mould check (I had my 30 gallon resevoir under a woodern table-treated).

Kdeaze said:
You want to keep resevoir changes at 7 days to prevent algae build up

Algae won't grow without light. No hydro system should have exposed water/nutrients to light. If you're experiencing algae growth you would be better off resolving the cause of the algae than wasting money by unnecessary changes of your reservoirs contents.

Latest posts

Back