If the bill passes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homegrown998

Reaction score
If they succeed in legalizing weed in California, that means they will probably have a seed vender or two as well right? No more worrying about sending you money over seas :D:woohoo:

are you serious???? there trying to legalize there???? even better, thats where im moving 4-5 months from now. AH! IM EXCITED!!!!!!! im not gonna miss indiana in the slightest bit.... wait either way im not. its boring here.

and yeah for sure, if weed gets legal there, theres gonna be an instant bunch of seed sources. think about it, you can probably already get good seeds if you have a medical license and if not, thats probably where the first seedbank will come from, the medical growing suppliers. but then again i know nothing about medical so far.

I'm in Indiana, can I get a ride to Cali? It is pretty sad that every state around us is a med state Ohio, Chicago, Michigan but when I write my states reps they act like its unheard of this is not the place for me either.

Personally, from a grower/breeder perspective...

I hope it does not pass.

There, I said it. I have a feeling if it does, it's going to ruin marijuana by opening the doors to patents.

...and if this happens, greed and profit will take over a good thing.

I can't see a patent on a plant. No matter what strain they "try" to patent.
Too many by far. Look at the Dutch seed scene, no patents, and they all "borrow" from eachother.

Bottom line, profit is what is driving this movement. Both u and I profit from it.

IF this passes, there will still be a HUGE market for properly grown Chronic. 80% of what we see on the street or clubs is not the Super Bomb. And Effen, u and I both know that not many folks can grow coupious amounts of a super kill strain.
I think if it passes, either jump in head first, or be a victim. This will be just like the Tech boom of the early '90s. First in get set up, and the stragglers will be fighting over crumbs.

All this will do is open the market to a wider audience, forcing growers to produce better herb, and more of it. Indoor herb will rule the scene, as it allways has.

Pretty cool that you guys are able to view this with a level head. I own a good deal of trepidation about this bill and am a bit on the fence, so to speak. I can see a lot of good coming from it but, as Effen said, I can see greed (not necessarily in the form of patents) and basic human nature making this a huge joke and spinning a bad light on marijuana. Again.
I personally don't see it passing. And if it does I see it being quashed or delayed indefinitely. If I am wrong they (govt.) are gonna have their hands full. And you're right Hal, this ain't gonna be no rainbow pony show. As far as business goes this ones gonna be godzilla having a bad hair day in a suit with a pitchfork.

I dunno...

I don't really know what to think anymore.

I do however know what to do...
...And that's grow some dank for a good deal so I can hopefully drive away some of the mafia wannabees who grow crappy weed under the whole "Medical" guise.

Either way, we are ready for whatever.

I dont care what there reasons are for legalizing it, as long as they do. Im one of the millions of peaple that spent time in doc over this and its not rite.
I just need one good sourse to get seeds from and freedom to grow them privately with no worries. Thats all it would take to make me happy. I think thats all most other peaple want to, we all no the world runs on greed and money and there will be peaple that take advantage of the situation but hey even they have the rite too. I mean the plant was here before it was banned to do wehatever we wanted too with it. This plant is good for alot of things besides getting high and I could go on:rant: and on but i dont know i just hope it passes.

witch problem would you rather have, there is too mutch weed to choose from so I will just have to grow my own strains that suit me. or, dam if i get busted i could loose my house, my kids, and my freedom.

I see the good and the bad side of this.

Good side: The feelings of being a criminal, and the taboo's kids have when buying and smoking that"illegal" green will be gone. The dutch perspective will kick in and marijuana will be seen as, bassically boring to a new generation a decade from now. Another factor for good would be having our own cannibas cups in america and show them dutch up. Even though they are at least 20 years ahead of most growers in america, not all but most. The strain availabilities will be awsome to play around with, and really expand on your green thumb skills. The taxation and revenues will be awsome at first but in the long it wont be making the "billions" people think it will have. I could go on but i'll stop on that.

The Bad: Over regulation. Constant Field days with state officials to regulate how much thc can be in there and wont be. Like they have in some states in america they are not allowed to sell beer over the 6.0 as states like mine can. Flooded markets of crap bud and flooded markets of good buds. It will cause a total influx and it will make things a little off balanced. Driving regulations that would make police have a field day on nabbing just about anyone driving. For those who drive without licenses, with the change it will make you an easier target to nail. Heard of Driving while black, well it will be a driving while looking like a stoner situation. I can forsee seveer laws on smoking with your kids(when i mean kids not toddlers i mean teenagers) and younger friends. May seem weird but admit it just about everyone of us smoked with another adult or a younger friend at one time or another. Mom and pops who wont let the state know they are growing for profit and still do it the "dealer" way. This will cause loss in taxation profits. Those people who do it under the radar still it may also cause alot of people out there who have no knowledge what so ever on growing do a major **** up and use a really bad pesticide on there buds making anyone who smoked there product really sick.

In all it all goes to responsibility, regulation, and proper handling which we do not have at all now so this bill will be good in all. I believe no one can argue that of course there will be a bad side, but with all things, it takes a small step to make a major leap.

Currently, there are no provisions regarding any type of strain or tch content.
Actually, it does read that all derivatives (spelling??) of MJ are also legal. Edibles, hash,tinctures, anything that comes from the MJ plant.

I am not understanding the whole "greedy" thing? Because a guy buys 20 wearhouses and fires up 500 1000watters and grows lb's of bomb to sell on the wholesale market makes him greedy??

Well, call me greedy. I have skillz, as all of u do. We are allready a leg up on alot of folks, cause we already grow bomb. There are going to be alot of folks tryin' like hell, but it won't fly. people will wash out. It will become a Retailers market, as it pretty much is right now, wouldn't you agree Effen? Out here in Cali, people have a WIDE range of choices when it comes to herb. Very wide.

If anything, I see prices dropping for the average joe buying an ounce or less.
I see the wholesalers getting less for thier herb.

What does that mean?

Step it up, or get run over.

Now, of course there will be plenty of folks who grow thier own, and that number will rise. But there will be a huge demand for top quality, which we know is not as easy to grow as we aould all like. Escpecially in big weight.
Try getting 1 gram per watt with 20000 watts consistently...good luck.

As far as markets flooded, it already is. Every year it gets worse and worse, or better and better, depends on which side of the fence u are on.
The clubs weed thru al the bad herb, as retail outlets will if this passes.

Am I scared about the change? Hell no. I plan to profit legally for the first time in my life with herb. The MAN uses his rules to get his way, so I will use the rules to get mine too. And I am telling you, if this passes, it is on.

If I could, I would be the Budweiser of MJ in Cali, and I am going to try my best. But not to worry folks, I won't sell out to a foreign nation!

:D I dunno Hal, your gonna go from Steelhead ale to Budweiser? That's a sell out right there!!:rofl:

Ok, just josh'n ya. If it goes, I for one hope it goes just like you say. You paint a pretty good picture and mad props for positive outlook. If anyone can be the budweiser of mmj Cali, I gotta believe in you Hal. You have a fantastic attitude and it will serve you well. Shoot for the stars my friend and when you get there, we can all say "Hey, I remember Hal from way back when......";) Good luck to ya bro.

Well, the reason I am so optimistic, is I see it everyday. You have seen the scene in the Bay area and Socal is the same. Shoot, there is Richard Lee on CNBC and NATGEO explaing how he runs a weed and clone selling business.
I'm an American and Californian too,so......

Now, I am not after a "retail" shop. I enjoy growing. All aspects. Selecting Pheno's, making mothers, taking cuts and rocking them out to thier full potential.
I would stay on the production end. And not mass swag production. High end "boutique" strains, cause lets face it, I'm a smoker first and foremost.

But alas, this is all hopes and dreams. This law was just introduced, but with the US Attorny General calling off the feds 2 days ago, and this bill getting introduced, things are looking in the right firection at last.

At least for us in Cali. I know I get carried away, but if we can get it done here, it will trickle to the other states.

Speaking of calling off the feds, what's your thought there? I mean are they out of the picture entirely now?? Is it just local LEO we are dealing with? How's that work I wonder?

Either way, bro, if you make it big I wanna be one of your plant managers!:hubba: Just a couple of 'em.
:watchplant:

Seriously:D

I would love to do something like you are talking about. Funny, but I would want to give everyone the bird, including PG&E, go friggin' crazy with solar and do it completely off-grid. Now that would be sweet.

Well, the way I see it, the small growers (personal use) won't be any better off than they are now- because the government can't make enough money off it- tax on seeds? clones? seedlings? Not enough revenue. And this is a revenue issue.

And Hal- I would imagine that you would be up against some mighty big players and would need to be extremely well funded. A free market would naturally drive the price down, so only through volume would it be a profitable venture. As soon as the large producers realize they are losing market share to "boutique" or niche producers, and they will lose share, how long before they go after that business? Let's face it, if this were to pass, and that's still a big if, there are very few barriers to entry that would keep the big guys from crushing the smaller producers. And as you said- anyone can produce a strain.

And who's to say that importing won't be allowed? I didn't read the entire bill, just the bullet points, but I didn't see any mention of where the product necessarily has to come from.

I think the key to success would lie in branding.

I have owned a successful manufacturing company for over 20 years. As I told you in another thread- I would come work for you free of charge- let me know when you're ready. I can write a mean business plan.

And regarding the analogy to the tech boom, just remember how many dot com's have vanished.

Let's hope this at least gets things started!

BBFan said:
Well, the way I see it, the small growers (personal use) won't be any better off than they are now- because the government can't make enough money off it- tax on seeds? clones? seedlings? Not enough revenue. And this is a revenue issue.

And Hal- I would imagine that you would be up against some mighty big players and would need to be extremely well funded. A free market would naturally drive the price down, so only through volume would it be a profitable venture. As soon as the large producers realize they are losing market share to "boutique" or niche producers, and they will lose share, how long before they go after that business? Let's face it, if this were to pass, and that's still a big if, there are very few barriers to entry that would keep the big guys from crushing the smaller producers. And as you said- anyone can produce a strain.

And who's to say that importing won't be allowed? I didn't read the entire bill, just the bullet points, but I didn't see any mention of where the product necessarily has to come from.

I have owned a successful manufacturing company for over 20 years. As I told you in another thread- I would come work for you free of charge- let me know when you're ready. I can write a mean business plan.

And regarding the analogy to the tech boom, just remember how many dot com's have vanished.

On the east coast, things are a little different. But with NJ getting ready for mmj there will be opportunities that CA has enjoyed for sometime. I already have a business plan written for starting a dispensary, the warehouse space, application for a license from state, and my fiance is a vp of a major bank, that is on board for a small business loan. I also have some celebrity endorsements that I can use. And now I'm becoming a strain junkie. Time to smaoke a fatty.

Umbra- I would say things are a lot different in the rest of the country compared to what is happening in Cali. How many states now allow mmj, 13? But none is yet where Cali is. And this bill would certainly change everything.
I know a few bankers myself and none would touch such a loan- potential for bad publicity would be too great. Way too conservative. Are you serious about opening a dispensary? The cost of money is down right now but still extremely tight. I would think that if your plan is sound, private money would be much more accessible, and for something many are passionate about, probably not too much more expensive and with less restrictions. I would think celebrities would be better investment partners than spokepeople. I can't think of a better investment out there right now.
When we can talk legally (without our foil hats), I would enjoy discussing this at length.

BBFan said:

Great points BB.
As far as the personal growers, you are correct, I havn't read anything that will place a tax on them. There might be something in the law that states that, but I havn't come across it yet.
But really, I think the personal grower is and allways will be the minority of pot smokers. Most folks go thru thier "dealer" or a Club if they are in a med state. So, if storefronts opened, I think the small grower would be less and less, as cheap availability becomes the norm.

You have me thinking of branding. I don't belive that "patents" will be issued for folks on specific strains, but maybe packaging will be. That would be a form of "branding".
I think the leaders of the game will be folks who consistenly have top quality. Folks that also work closly with thier local goverment in establishing a business within a City/County area. Basically, apeasing concerned city.county officials and addressing thier concerns.
Yes....politics.

As with any "manufacturing" business, you have to solidify your retailers. Get in good with them and make the offers they can't refuse. No, not like The Godfather! Just undercut the next guy. I am not greedy. If Company "A" offers it for 4000 a lb, I'll sell it for 3600.
In my experience, it's not how much u make off one item, it's the long term that makes u money. Sell it for less then everyone, but sell 5 times as much.

BB, If this does come to pass, I would LOVE your help in writing an officail plan. I have only owned one business before, and it was a Skate/Snowboard shop for about 10 years. I did this while I worked for a manufacturing plant. I did Project Management for P&G for 14 years, before they moved my plant to mexico. Actually the best thing that happened to me.

So thanks for your offer and input!

Go get em Umbra! If you don't others will. I have a close friend that lives in NJ. I plan on seeing him this summer.

I know this is all talk, but I think we are all aware that things are changing. Obama has held up his end so far with calling off the Feds in MMJ states. I believe this bill has a great chance also.

Latest posts

Back