I'm New, and I need to know how I'm doing ~!~Please~?~

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabrw0ke

Reaction score
I am a first time grower, in Alaska.
My hubby got a pretty seedy bag from the neighbor one day and we decided to grow some plants out of the seeds.
So here is my thing.... In the first picture is a budding plant from the same strand that we are growing. Prob from the same mother plant. we got it from our friend and he started it, but had to move so he passed it on to us. So he cropped the top off it to make it smaller and bushy. The ones I am growing (in the second picture, I also have 4 others that are smaller), I have not cropped or anything. I put one that is 9 weeks old (in the picture below) in the closet on 12/12 It's been there for about 4 days. when will I be able to tell if it's a male or female?
I was reading that since these seeds came from a hermie, that the plants would either be hermie's, females, or steril. The one that we got from the friend is deff' a female, not a hermie (less, you guys tell me otherwise, lol).
SO
If you guys could take a look at my pictures below and let me know what's going on here, I would be so greatful!!!!!! :0)

budding.jpg

babybud.jpg

9weeksold1212.jpg

9weekold12122.jpg

whatareyou9weekold.jpg

Oh first two pictures are one plant, (the one that we got from a friend), the last 3 are the 9 week old that I put on 12/12 4 days ago.

they look good! very green! i cannot see any nutrient deficencies, but i'm also a newbie.

you should be able to tell what sex the plant is after 10 days or so. you'll see 2 white pistons at the bud points for female plants.

male plants will have the sacs that look like mini grapes. remember that you dont have to cut it down at 10 days. thats just when the signs start showing. if you can afford the space i would let them to go at least 2 weeks to make sure.

then you'll know to yank that ugly male bastid. :)

keep that mother one alive. you know for sure it's a female. if the other plants fale (hermie, male, sterile, whatever, etc) then you can take clippings of the mother and clone her. then you know that all the clones will be famale and it's awesome!

welcome to the forum. happy growing!

Welcome to MP!
Plants look good. The 12/12 will let you know within a week or so what sex they will be.
And, otherwise they look great. Read read read here and have fun!

hello and welcome to MP

plants are looking pretty good heres some green mojo for ladies :peace:

Jabrw0ke said:
I am a first time grower, in Alaska.
My hubby got a pretty seedy bag from the neighbor one day and we decided to grow some plants out of the seeds.
So here is my thing.... In the first picture is a budding plant from the same strand that we are growing. Prob from the same mother plant. we got it from our friend and he started it, but had to move so he passed it on to us. So he cropped the top off it to make it smaller and bushy. The ones I am growing (in the second picture, I also have 4 others that are smaller), I have not cropped or anything. I put one that is 9 weeks old (in the picture below) in the closet on 12/12 It's been there for about 4 days. when will I be able to tell if it's a male or female?
I was reading that since these seeds came from a hermie, that the plants would either be hermie's, females, or steril. The one that we got from the friend is deff' a female, not a hermie (less, you guys tell me otherwise, lol).
SO
If you guys could take a look at my pictures below and let me know what's going on here, I would be so greatful!!!!!! :0)

You are growing seeds you KNOW to be hermies? IMO, hermies are a blight on marijuana genetics and all hermie seeds should be destroyed. Hermies tend to procreate hermies and my advise (if you are serious about this) is to get rid of the hermies and get some good genetics. Quality genetics are not that expensive. I do not know where you got the info on hermies being sterile--this is not the case. If it was, hermies would not be a problem. The one you got from your friend could be a hermie. Nanners can pop at any time and pollinate the rest of your crop.

It seems you can keep a plant nice and green...so why not start over with some good beans and add either more light or get the lights closer because although they look nice and green they are kinda lanky....By the way...Boo on the hermies....lets not keep those nasty genetics going....

The Hemp Goddess said:
You are growing seeds you KNOW to be hermies? IMO, hermies are a blight on marijuana genetics and all hermie seeds should be destroyed. Hermies tend to procreate hermies and my advise (if you are serious about this) is to get rid of the hermies and get some good genetics. Quality genetics are not that expensive. I do not know where you got the info on hermies being sterile--this is not the case. If it was, hermies would not be a problem. The one you got from your friend could be a hermie. Nanners can pop at any time and pollinate the rest of your crop.

Well the bag that he got had a bunch of seeds in it, so I suppose there could have just been a male in the crop..... but I honestly am not for SURE. Neighbor (who gave us the budding plant), said that he planted 3 plants and budded them and none turned out to be males or hermies.

I do know that the guy that grew the plants (where we got our seeds from), had mail ordered his seeds and it's Afghan kush.

The reason why I'm growing this is cuz for one it's my first time, that started out as an experiment, and every single seed germinated. we had around 40 seeds... also when the neighbor moved, he gave us a large pill bottle of more seeds (from the same crop). I'd say it's about 200 seeds. Anyhow it's all for personal use by hubby.

OH! Also I have one more question, if you can tell by looking at the picture of the first plant, how much longer do you think it has till the buds are smoke able? Seems like they are taking forever. Driving hubby crazy. LOL Thank you everyone!
:D

Jabrw0ke said:

OH! Also I have one more question, if you can tell by looking at the picture of the first plant, how much longer do you think it has till the buds are smoke able? Seems like they are taking forever. Driving hubby crazy. LOL Thank you everyone!
:D

Well if you flipped it 4 days ago it is safe to say you hve at least another 8 weeks of flowering before you can think about harvest time...cld be longer depending on the strain...

Hamster Lewis said:
Well if you flipped it 4 days ago it is safe to say you hve at least another 8 weeks of flowering before you can think about harvest time...cld be longer depending on the strain...

No the first one, the one with the buds on it already. It's been on 12/12 for over a month. They are getting a lot bigger though. :hubba:

I was talking to my husband a little bit ago about buying some seeds next time, and he's all about it (specally fem seeds). We were thinking about just turning all of these into hash after they bud anyways.

i usually dont see that jaw dropping size being put on til bout the last few weeks of 12/12
but again taht could also be per teh strain im sure too.
but if its afghan kush and ur only a month into 12/12 then i'd say like hamster did, but giving you another months wait time at least before i'd start sampling
JMO.
and if it is true afghan kush, try the search tab, or look in the grow journal section and look for other groweres who have done grow journals of afghan kush start to end and take wat you want leave wat you dont(knowledge)
thats what i'd do if i knew wat strain it was
good luck and welcome to MP.

What kind/size light are you using? That first plant only looks like it has been flowering a week or two. At over a month flowering, you generally have some substantial buddage going on.

The Hemp Goddess said:
What kind/size light are you using? That first plant only looks like it has been flowering a week or two. At over a month flowering, you generally have some substantial buddage going on.

Well I am using two diff' closets. The one on 12/12 are the lights that our friend was using for the plant. They are thick plant lights about 24 inch's long. They are single ones though, so one is above and one is on the back of the wall at the same level as the one hanging above. They are set on a timer from 9 am to 9 pm, because that's what our friend had the plant set on.

The other closet on 18/6 is one of those two light fixtures, with two long plant halogen lights in it. I am able to move it up and down with the plants growth.

24 inch long lights. would they be flourescent? "thick plant lights" doesnt really help us understand what kinda lights they are.

i have no experience with halogen plant lights.

You really need to know about proper lighting, and proper environment in general, before taking on a grow. But it just so happens that you are in the right place to learn these things. May I suggest you first read the site rules, then all resources pages, and then the sticky threads at the top of all the different catagories. Once you have done this research, some things will become clearer for you, and whatever you don't understand, just post your question in the designated catagory...oh yeah, welcome to MP

There are no such things as halogen plant lights. Halogens are not good for plant growth at all.

You seem to be really underlit, which is why the plant in the first pic has virtually no buds and the 3rd one is showing so much stretch. Do you have any ventilation?

You will want to read through this before starting another grow..especially with good beans>>>http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

You need to hve a good grasp of the basics...the fact that you are unsure of the lighting you are using speaks volumes. I am not trying to be mean and I don't mean that in a mean spirited way...but you seem to hve put the cart before horse...we hve a great bunch of people on here and we are more then happy to help you...

They are fluorescent lights. I used the wrong word. Sorry. So I stopped by the store were I bought my light and took a peek and they are 400 watt plant lights (on my 18/6), than on my 12/12 the lights that the neighbor gave us are only 200 watts. I assume that can't be very good. I'll have to read more about the lighting now that I know what the watts they are.
Like I said this was pretty much an experiment for me, and I did get MUCH further than I really did think I would! I never imagined that these plants would get to this point. I really do have quite the green thumb tho (not bragging I just love gardening). SO I have deff' learned at lot with these plants and a lot of what to do, and what not to do. I wish I had taken a picture of when I transplanted these, because the root system was astronomical that it was hard to believe that they all came from this tiny little seed. Before I go and buy some new seeds (which I deff' will be doing here in Jan prob), I am going to do much more reading. I did some reading before I started these plants, but not a whole bunch, than I found this page. Very glad I found it too! You all have been VERY much help, and I am not taking offence to anything that you say at all.
Oh Goddess I do have a fan in the 12/12 but not the 18/6. They are in bedroom closets, and the doors get open every day, I had read before that for a few plants that this would be enough ventilation. I'm deff not looking to remodel the closets too much, because this is a rented townhouse.
I do have one more question when I go to buy seeds, were do you guys suggest buying them from, and what strand would be a good one? I'm not looking for anything too spendy, but I would like some nice ones. Also I'm wondering if I should buy fem seeds or just stick with regular and try to get a female plant to seed so I don't have to buy seeds later on, or is that too much work?
Thanks all, you have been GREAT help!

Latest posts

Back