In 1976

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
Been reading my old Freak Brothers comics. Interestingly, all mine are UK editions.
The early ones are just black and white, the paper is not surviving time very well, it is turning brown. Can still read them though. The later colour ones are better.
In Number One (yeah I have the first one) Fat Freddie is sent out to buy a lid with $15! Now even in 1976 I think weed cost more than $15, but I hadn't visited the US at that time so maybe you guys can remember what the price really was in 1976. I can say that in the UK in 1976 I was supplying the Angels with good Syrian hash for 30 pounds an ounce, I suppose about $60 at the time, but then, I was the importer, shall we say . . . probably 40 pounds was more the going rate.

Yes, I was in HS and I used to leave $10 in the mail box and go back to find a "4 finger lid". Of course it was home grown. Good enough for a high school girl back then.

In 1976 I was running over to Delft once a fortnight in my little white MG Midget to pick up a couple of k's of Syrian.

4u2sm0ke said:
"Dime Bag" OHC?

:48:

Never heard the phrase dime bag till the hard white stuff came along a couple years later.
It was a "four finger lid". An ounce of homegrown. $10. I was 16. Carter was running against Ford. I smoked Marlboro 100s, wore platform shoes and drove a PURPLE GREMLIN with Levi Straus denim covered bucket seats.
Anyone remember the Midnight Special?

1976 I was in college. Lumbo ( columbian weed ) was the weed of the day at about $40 an oz. 3 years earlier mexican weed was all that existed at about $20 an oz.:cool:

Purple GREMLIN! OMG. I rented one when I first visited the US (In 1976). First corner, I nearly rolled it. The damn thing had worse handling than an invalid tricycle. . .

1976, Panama Red was going for 15 in the east bay area, a dealer lived up the hill from us, we could get it for 15. I had just graduated high school You could get a ten dollor 4 finger lid too, it just was not named (all thru highschool, you could buy a reefer there at lunch for 50 cents, full of stems and seeds). There was also an influx of Ohaxen...not sure of spelling. Pot was still seeded and stemmy. When Columbian hit the streets, it was so seedy, but it was the Name you wanted by the early eighties, if you could get a Tai Stick for 15 go for that!). Sens was just being developed (I think) and when I started buying it, it was a whoppin 90 a quarter! and still is where I am. I loved that stuff .....grown outdoor, smelled of a pine forest far to the north. I grow now and finally I grew some "piney" smelling smoke...oh yeah.

We were also buying nickle bags of columbian, for you got it five bucks. Early eighties.

In 1976 I was still in the stars...

My happiest time in 1976:
hxxp://www.ukrockfestivals.com/76-Knebworth-festival.html
The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia , Hot Tuna , Don Harrison Band.
On 400 mics and half an ounce of Syrian hash!

I was 22 and I was getting Zs for about $25-$30 each, depending on the quality. I would usually score a quarter pound, sell three Zs to pay for it and have a Z for myself. My best score was a pound of genuine Colombian Gold for $550.00. It was about half green and half gold in color and STO---NEY. :D
Weed back then had seeds, so you were also paying for 'seed' weight.
I sure wish that I had some of those seeds now. :rolleyes:

All you younguns here...ROFl!

I don't remember the price of pot in '76, but I do remember in '71 paying $10 a lid (oz) consistently in Marin County (Bay Area). And I remember paying $20 for Thai stick.

in 1976 I wasn't a twinkle in the mothers eye yet.

born in 1981 here, for some reason i dont recall 1976...maybe it was during one of my blackouts.

i bought bushel baskets of homegrown country boy weed grown in the cornfields. a c-note got you a bushel basket packed. thats alot of smoke.lol.lol. this was the cousin deal though, ya know?...:) ...

in the city, a qp was 90 US...

thats when i got my first taste of growing dank OD weed...

BENNY said:
In 1976 i was geting compressed pounds of mexican weed full of seeds for $50 a lb and sold 4 finger lids in glad sandwich bags for $10 all day long.
:peace: In my case it started with a dope shortage locally. So I drove 45 miles to the next city and found a supplier. Then the shortage spread. So I drove to London and found a supplier. Then he ran out. People were selling henna mixed with saddle soap and others were smoking it and 'getting off'.
So I got so annoyed that I decided to visit some old friends in Delft, Holland that is. I just stuck my passport in my pocket, got a wad of guilders I had stashed away, and took the car ferry. The first time I drove away from the safe house, the cops immediately intercepted me, checked out the car, picked up the shopping bag full of kilo slabs, went, "OK, all is in order" and that was that. Talk about freaked out.

Latest posts

Back