indoor, with computer fans!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Hey guys,
i'm building a two plant grow box this winter, and i was wondering if my specs would be ok to prevent it from smelling too much.

I'm going to build it with plywood, cover the inside with mylar. Then install my 400 watt HPS/Mh switchable light, and install 2 computer fans on the top, one for air circulation, and one for an exit, which is going to go outside. Will this help with the smell? Any suggestions on how i can make this grow box as efficient as possible?

Thanks! :D

how are you going to get this air outside? A computer fan does not have the cfm's to force air through duct work. Need bigger fans and a carbon filter/scrubber.

alright, so let's say i install a small bathroom fan for the exit. is the computer fan strong enough to circulate air around the box?

I've heard of installing a carbon filter, but i don't quite know where to install it... Will it cut down a lot on the smell factor?

Julian said:
alright, so let's say i install a small bathroom fan for the exit. is the computer fan strong enough to circulate air around the box?

I've heard of installing a carbon filter, but i don't quite know where to install it... Will it cut down a lot on the smell factor?

It depends on the size of the box. I use a 80mm comp fan in my box, but I also grow with fluoros. Hps/mh will create much more heat that will need to be evacuated quickly so as not to damage your plants.
I run the lights at night now that it's cool. Definately a duct fan for you.
Also, intake on the bottom, out at the top. Buy a small oscillating fan for yours bro, 6, or 8 inch will do, 10 if you have room. You can mount it on the wall in a corner to save space.

What are your specs for the box?

Thanks OldSkool!

It gives me a good idea on what to do with my project, but like if i need a lot of cfms, what will do the job for an hps/mh light?

One computer fan for intake, and one bathroom fan for exit. I live in Montreal, and in the winter, heating is a major cost and i would like to blow out smell while keeping heat as well.

Thanks again!

OldSkool said:
It depends on the size of the box. I use a 80mm comp fan in my box, but I also grow with fluoros. Hps/mh will create much more heat that will need to be evacuated quickly so as not to damage your plants.
I run the lights at night now that it's cool. Definately a duct fan for you.
Also, intake on the bottom, out at the top. Buy a small oscillating fan for yours bro, 6, or 8 inch will do, 10 if you have room. You can mount it on the wall in a corner to save space.

What are your specs for the box?

Well, i was planning on the same size as your, 2 x 3 x 6

There is no practical way to ventilate the exhaust outside without loosing the heat, so try ventilating back into the living are and the light heat will actually help heat your home.

I have never used one (so far I haven't had that problem but it is legal here so the odor isn't as critical for me) so I can't speak from experience, but all of my friends who are worried about odor say that a GOOD carbon filter will nearly eliminate odor. There are several plans for them in the DIY forum if you are considering making one of your own.

On your fan issue, use a bigger fan than you think you will need and use a speed control to slow it down if it is blowing too much. That way if you have underestimated your needs you will be in a better situation than if you guesstimated too low and bought just what you thought you needed.

Check into Home Depot and maybe Lowes for their duct helper fans for inexpensive in-line fans. The are an axial fan mounted inside of a piece of heating/cooling round ducting. Most of them need to be hard wired or have a cord attached to them. We are using a 6" one to ventilate my son's 8'x15' or larger grow operation in 2 adjoining rooms and it is working very well. They are also much cheaper than bathroom fans.

A carbon filter is a realy good idea actually,thanks!

One last problem, i'll probably be growing 2-3 plants in my little indoor garden :D

Will a 400 watt light work? or is it too much for 2 plants to handle?
What will be ideal? Will 400 watts mean i will get bigger fuller plants?
or do the same as a 250 watt...

thanks!

400 will be perfect for that set-up, especially with the switchable ballsat. I used to run the same thing in a exact same area. You should do fine, depending on the seeds you use. if you go with a sativa dominant plant, you may have to do some bending and pruning, but 400W is perfect for your space to get nice tight growth.

If you are just looking for good smoke with a reasonable yield, you might look at the autoflowering varieties. They won't yield as much per plant as the normal ones, but some of them will harvest is as little as 45 days after planting the seed. So over a period of time the autoflowering varieties will produce more crops and thereby equal or exceed the normal strains of the same variety. Another advantage is you don't have to mess with the light cycles or changing from MH to HPS and vice versus.

Once I get my hydro stuff pretty well dialed in I'm going to try the autoflowering because we are limited to 15 plants/patient here and it is almost a shame to have a patient waiting for 5 or 6 months for a new crop, if I can grow them good quality in 2 to 3 months.

On your odor thing, try looking through the DIY sub-forum. There are several ideas there. Also if you look hard enough there as some good strains what are low odor available. I have never understood why people think that it has to smell like you surprised a skunk in your storage area just before smoking it for it to be good smoke. Personally I smoke for the medicinal effect not to make myself gag from the smell before I even light up. Some of the most potent weed I have ever come across has had virtually noodor ot it even while being smoked.

Welcome and good smoking to everyone.

Good luck to you and good smoking.

Latest posts

Back