Kicking Off the Next Indoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do not want to be in veg for long, you'll want to go more plants as opposed to less. 9 sounds like a good start (I've seen 12-15) if you were gonna do photos but with autos who knows what you're gonna get. I think the most I've ran was 6 and they all varied in size. So some needed elevated. Caused me more work and I'm not about that.

If you do not want to be in veg for long, you'll want to go more plants as opposed to less. 9 sounds like a good start (I've seen 12-15) if you were gonna do photos but with autos who knows what you're gonna get. I think the most I've ran was 6 and they all varied in size. So some needed elevated. Caused me more work and I'm not about that.
Thanks it will be a photo run so shouldn’t be bad. I ran a few northern light autos a few weeks apart and each plant was totally different. I could see how that would be time consuming trying to have a nice green canopy with different size plants.

Thanks it will be a photo run so shouldn’t be bad. I ran a few northern light autos a few weeks apart and each plant was totally different. I could see how that would be time consuming trying to have a nice green canopy with different size plants.
It wouldn't be bad at all with photos. Plus it gives you options. You could run them all 12/12 from seed and just pack em in or go 24/0 and maximize the short growth and flip at 4 weeks

Daily Light Integral is shortened when you don't run 12/12.
Ahh, so you can blast them with more light in a shorter period. Should have seen that. A fine line to dance with light stress and young plants but if you know that particular pheno it could be figured out. Interesting, maybe I could do summer grows after all haha.

Ahh, so you can blast them with more light in a shorter period. Should have seen that. A fine line to dance with light stress and young plants but if you know that particular pheno it could be figured out. Interesting, maybe I could do summer grows after all haha.
Yup.

I say this having ran 18/6, 12/1 (Gaslamp), and finally settling on 24/0 in veg for speed of growth. Have some buddies that cry about my veg plants not resting....they do fine, and sleep when they make it to flower lol.

Ran several variations of flower lighting schedules as well, before going back to 12/12. . . Different strokes.

Not trying to preach. Just trying to add a little value to the conversation.
👊

Yup.

I say this having ran 18/6, 12/1 (Gaslamp), and finally settling on 24/0 in veg for speed of growth. Have some buddies that cry about my veg plants not resting....they do fine, and sleep when they make it to flower lol.

Ran several variations of flower lighting schedules as well, before going back to 12/12. . . Different strokes.

👊
Not preachy at all, love the insight. I typically run 18 or 20 on but will try 24 this coming winter run

Yup.

👊
I struggled with this when I decided to try autos again. I am doing 20/4 but I really wanted 24/0 primarily because I can maintain the temp of the tent with light.

You are the only person I have seen, so far, to support a 24/0 light pattern for autos although there is a lot of information both ways.

I struggled with this when I decided to try autos again. I am doing 20/4 but I really wanted 24/0 primarily because I can maintain the temp of the tent with light.

You are the only person I have seen, so far, to support a 24/0 light pattern for autos although there is a lot of information both ways.
I haven't run autos in about 6 years...I'm a strictly photo kinda guy.

No hard feelings or judgement...I know that breeders (like Ethos and others) are doing (and have done) a lot to homogenize their autos to be more consistent for the grower... autos just don't work well for me in a perpetual grow. . .

Found that I spent a lot of time chasing deficiencies and trying to make things work for each plant. With photos you have more time to fix issues and deal with problems as they arise without worrying about wasting time, energy, ect... Just not my cup of tea. 😂

I don't bend to the will of the plants, they bend to mine... If they lag in veg or present traits I don't want they go bye bye.

Last edited:
I haven't run autos in about 6 years...I'm a strictly photo kinda guy.

No hard feelings or judgement...I know that breeders (like Ethos and others) are doing (and have done a lot) to homogenize their autos to be more consistent for the grower... autos just don't work well for me in a perpetual grow. . .

Found that I spent a lot of time chasing deficiencies and trying to make things work for each plant. With photos you have more time to fix issues and deal with problems as they arise without worrying about wasting time, energy, ect... Just not my cup of tea. 😂

I don't bend to the will of the plants, they bend to mine... If they lag in veg or present traits I don't want they go bye bye.
So you are running photos at 24/0. Now that’s interesting

So you are running photos at 24/0. Now that’s interesting
They don't need "sleep" like some people think.

Also, when I run autos, they seem to do better when I use less food, and less light. I still can't figure them out lol so I just toss them in tents when I have space as an afterthought.

Never grown autos. My grows are SCROG in R-DWC. I run the little ones 24 hours under T8's, and when they're swapped into the main grow room, I'll vege 'em for a while at 18/6 under MH lights. When I'm satisfied with the way they're filling up the screen and tired of tucking the tops down, I'll swap to 14/10 and HPS lights. Always worked for me.

They don't need "sleep" like some people think.

Also, when I run autos, they seem to do better when I use less food, and less light. I still can't figure them out lol so I just toss them in tents when I have space as an afterthought.
That’s what I am thinking. I may consider something radically different.

And thanks for this information it really helps

A fine option! TBH I don't quite understand why people do 12/12 and miss out on that extra veg growth while the plant is maturing, but there is probably a reason or two.
The only reason I could think of is maybe they have other plants in flower in the same tent as seedlings. Maybe someone would do it with limited space to keep the plant small🤷‍♂️

Last autos I grew was on 24/0 and I didn’t have any problems.

Latest posts

Back