Lighting concerns. Advice needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc902

Reaction score
I seem to be posting a lot of questions, and I thank all of you in advance. MP seems to be the best place around to get quick, mostly accurate advice.

I am in no way an expert. I do have years of experience. But some things I have not done quite enough to have my own information on, and thus make a decision on.

One Thing, is lighting during dark time. with all of my other grow, it was usually a covert "closet" type grow. When I needed to do something during dark time, I had a green light to see by. Now I have always thought this does not affect the plant at all, as it can not see the green light. Is this actually true? will the green light not affect the plants dark cycle? I dont want to take the chance with 15 plants.

Another lighting concern is, well, during the whole setup of the room, while the plants are in veg, I have had to put up more lights, and move things around. all of the lights are run through a controller that is wired 220, and the manufacturer advises not to plug or unplug while the controller is hot/live. so we have to shut off all of the lights, wait for them to cool, then plug them back in again.

Long story short, the lights go off, the only light in the room is a small cfl. is this enough for them? Id think it like a cloud going over the sun, or overcast or something similar. Am I right in assuming this? if not, how many watts should I have?

Thanks again MP!

I am thinking of doing a quick tour of my room (vid) once lights go on today, if anyone is interested as well.

I veg with T5's 24/7. No I don't think a small cfl is enough.

I don't know about the green light, but when they say dark they mean dark. No light or light leaks anywhere.

Maybe you need to think about getting a tent for the closet so it will have what it needs? Green mojo to you.

no no, I have an entire room.20x11 or something. The lights only go off for 10 mins or so. and during that time its just the cfl. whats the minimum I should have if I have to do this?

I am sorry havoc, I have no idea. Some people that know lots more then me will be by to help you out. You are in the right place for help.

Turning your lights off for a short period of time will not effect the girls.

If they are going to be off for awhile, I have used alternative lighting so not to stress them to much.

I think our member 4u uses a green light with no ill effects.

While green light is not supposed to be visible to the plant, I believe that it is best to not go into the flowering room during lights out unless it is an emergency. Why are you needing to go in during lights out? If you are not using the entire room for growing (and it sounds like you aren't), I would also advise a tent.

Your plants can go short periods of time with little to no light. During power outages, I don't like to kick the generator on unless it will be out for a while. This has not seemed to cause any problems.

Yeah,,I would not want any light on during the dark phase of Flowering. You should have no problem useing the 12 hours of light to deal with things in yur growroom.

I have had multiple occassions where I've had to go in during the flowering dark period. I don't trust any other "green" light than the LED headlights that are green as they are "true" green as opposed to green painted light bulbs. I have gone in many times without problems, BUT I maintain total light discipline with only the green light. If your plants are vegging and you have a dark time setup for them then it really doesn't matter, in fact, you really don't need a dark time during veg.

I wouldn't think having some dark time due to having to kill power will hurt anything as I had a problem a while back where my lights stayed off for 48hrs because of a failed power strip. And this was during flower :eek: fortunately it didn't seem to bother the girls, but I suspect it caused me to lose some yield at harvest. :( But an hour of semi-dark time shouldn't hurt anything.

I Have a Green cfl in flower room on 24/7....I have been doing this for a couple years now...I dont like to be in watering and inspecting my Ladies under garments while 3k hps blaring in me eyes...I like to sit in ther green and look them over...Now I know my flower room is Sealed dark...its in the center of my veg area...and those lights on 24/7...when I go into flower room (during dark time)..I turn the veg lights off...I do this 1-2 times a week...I leave the veg lights off for atleast an hour as too cool down Ballasts....another Thought is My buddy...orangesunshine..uses a flashlight ..he made useing green plastic over the glass....maybe he chime in with his thoughts...time to hit the :bong1:

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

I have lots of green light in my flower room and have not seen any problems. Have a powerswitch, dehumidifier and humidifier all with 24/7 green lights on them just inches from buds, and I have a 60 watt green light bulb over in the center of the ceiling. Only turn on the light bulb when needed but its never bothered my plants any, and it has not caused any reaction in the plants.

Short periods of darkness in a grow room will not make the plants flower or cause problems. Short periods of light during in a flower room can ruin a whole crop.

They are still in veg at the moment. I only have 4 hrs of dark time right now. so it does not really hurt them at this stage? only reason I want to go in there is to spray a little, and check them over a bit. there is 4k right now, will be up to 8k so it will be bright in the room.

Yeah during the veg period they really don't need the dark time, but if you like running it that way, breaking in on it shouldn't affect them. Its only during the flower period that breaking into their dark time harms them. :)

I have done it both ways with having a dark period during veg and having 24hrs of light, and I have found the 24hrs of light to work best for the plants :)

more yield with 24 hr? I just like the dark period because they seem to look a lot better after a little sleep.

24/7 light gives the plant shorter internode length giving you more bud sites(less stretch) Mj does not need to sleep when in veg.

Not sure if I can post vids here. but here is a quick tour of my room.

youtu.be/sqlRkVZ6zOo

thats a nice grow room you got there and your plantd look very healthy .i don't know about the green light but i do know that vegging for longer periods helps make them reall bushy i did mine for a 20/4 cycle only cause i could not sleep with all the noise the lights and fans make it was like silence

Latest posts

Back