Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simo123

Reaction score
Hello everyone i was just curious on what lighting kit i should get im thinking about purchasing a 250w HPS or MH now i know you can use a HPS for the entire grow but as for MH i am unsure will using a MH for the hole grow effect my harvest? i would prefer to get a MH because i think a 250w HPS would put out too much heat even though i will have a fan and i will open my cuboard occasionly to let some air in also will a HPS strech plants really badly?can you help me decide and if u have used either MH or HPS for the hole grow and have a grow Journel on it please tell me all comments appreciated and Thankyou in Advance

Simo123

Sounds like we need a little lesson on lights...;) There are some really good reads around the forum is the growing resources sticky. Take a peak. ;)

The heat output of a 250W MH and HPS should be relatively the same so whichever you choose shouldn't make a difference in that aspect. However, these two bulbs have very different practical uses. The blue spectrum emitted by the MH bulb is great for vegging because it promotes strong, healthy stem growth. HPS bulbs are great for flowering. The put out more lumen/watt than the MH and the red spectrum imitates the reddening sun of the fall months.

The choice is really up to you. I would probably buy a switchable ballast so you can use both bulbs.

On a side note, it would be a good idea to have air entering a leaving your room 24/7. These plants need to breathe to grow to their potential. ;)

"opening" a door occasionally is not sufficient air exchange to either cool the area nor provide ample 'fresh air' to the plants.
A flow through ventilation system is what you need.

Thanks for the help everyone who posted

Latest posts

Back