Low temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exarmy

Reaction score
Hey guys so I had to move my grow box out to the garage. The garage was converted to a room but the ventilation out there sucks. I had my box dialed in and chilling at 75. But when I moved it out there the temp droped to 65. Is this going to slow growth, or cause any bad things. Im also worried about when lights go off it will probably drop even more. And I know the plants will stop growing if it gets to 55 (i think).
Should I get a space heater or something?

Yes, get a space heater. i had a similiar problem and a space heater fixed it:).

I hope that you will listen to BBP,
He is a grower par excellent. My only add would be that you might want to consider an oil filled heater instead of the blowing air over red hot coils. The coils tend to dry the air way too fast, and non of my babies liked the dry hot air period. I went to an oil filled that just radiates the warmth, and all was good.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

I use a space heater in both of my gardens and all I can say on this matter is get one that is thermostatically controlled instead of the 'off - on' or 'off - low - high' ones. It'll help you to control the temps better. On colder nights it will come on more and on warmer days, it won't.

I do not put a heater into my space unless it is getting lower than 60 in there.

Are you flowering or still in veg?

If I were to put a heater in my room, it would most certainly be on a timer.

Just stating the obvious here...

Is there an alternative to a space heater for a slight temp drop? I've got an extra grow box in a utility room that gets pretty cold at night (about 65-60 F). Is there some material that I can line the inside of this box with to keep heat in?

You can also get some heat mats from Hydrofarm online.

Put them on timers so you don't dry out your containers.

Even if this is not an option, if your grow space is small enough a heating blanket may work as well.

I lost power for three days and kept almost three hundred gallons of fish tanks hot, and the fish alive in the winter.

There is a lowtec solution.

groworganic said:
Is there an alternative to a space heater for a slight temp drop? I've got an extra grow box in a utility room that gets pretty cold at night (about 65-60 F). Is there some material that I can line the inside of this box with to keep heat in?

I don't think that I would be worried about a drop like that--65-60 shouldn't hurt your girls at all.

If your still vegging there's a few things you can do to help. Try and run your lights on during the coldest part of the day, and save the lights out time for when it is the warmest period of the day.

Or you could just veg for 24hrs a day and that should keep your tems high enough to not put your plants into hibernation.

If you are like me and like to run 18/6, try having your lights out from say 10am to 4pm. Also cycling less air into the box with the lights off will help hold heat in.

If you are still vegging, run the lights 24/7 and add lights rather than a space heater if the temps are too low.

Cost of heater = too much with electricity at today's prices. I have the same problem only worse if anything because my grow room is outside. The temps over the last month have sometimes dropped overnight to as low as 1C and I guess in the grow room it was probably as low as 10C. Some wilting. However I have just begun harvest and have a good crop so frankly, I say: if you can afford the extra expense, yeah, heat the air. But if not, I think you'll still get a good crop.

Latest posts

Back