Lower fan leaves turn yellow after watering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseyWales

I reckon so.
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of my outside plants get yellow fan leaves the day after watering and the yellow leaves are getting higher on the plant. This plant is in a 5 gal homer bucket which i'm gonna replant in a 7 gal fiber bag. I think i have a nitrogen deficiency or soil is not draining well enough? All in all the plants look nice but I'm noticing a couple of issues and i just want to get in front of this before it gets away from me. Thanks upfront.

Attachments

• Pyrio 005.JPG
    Pyrio 005.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 24
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 20
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
What kinda soil. Are you checking PH? Looks like a nitrogen and Magnesium deficiency to me. Although the lower leaves are the 1st to yellow and fall off.

What kinda soil. Are you checking PH? Looks like a nitrogen and Magnesium deficiency to me. Although the lower leaves are the 1st to yellow and fall off.
Normally we use FF OF soil we did change to Miracle grow potting soil, it was cheaper. I stopped nutrients last week and flushed the plants two days ago and made sure the water was 6 PH. It's been a hot summer so far, lately the temp has been in the 90's high humidity. I water them in the morning soil is dry by 3:00 p plants look sad. I give them a small drink of water and they perk right up, it's amazing to see. I have to give them water every day that's why i'm gonna change from homer buckets to fiber bags so the root can breath.

You need to raise you PH up closer to 6.8 for soil. 6.0 is too low and you will have problems with nutrient uptake.
Check your runoff and see what the PH reads.

Looks like they need some nitrogen to me

A good rule of thumb is the NPK & secondary nutes, Mag & Ca deficiencies will always start from the bottom of the plant. Micronutrient issues start at the top. That usually narrows it down enough to figure out a fix. Except Molybdenum, it starts in the middle. But that must be quite rare. I've never seen one.

It looks like they're the big water leaf at the main stalk. Mine are doing the same thing and they did it last season too. I inclined to think the plant doesn't need them any more and shedding them.

On a side note...I hope you're planning to up pot them before they go into flowering. You will get a better/bigger harvest.

It looks like they're the big water leaf at the main stalk. Mine are doing the same thing and they did it last season too. I inclined to think the plant doesn't need them any more and shedding them.

On a side note...I hope you're planning to up pot them before they go into flowering. You will get a better/bigger harvest.
Well this is what i did, i just got finished re-potting them from 5 gal homer buckets to 12 gal pots.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 23
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 20
A good rule of thumb is the NPK & secondary nutes, Mag & Ca deficiencies will always start from the bottom of the plant. Micronutrient issues start at the top. That usually narrows it down enough to figure out a fix. Except Molybdenum, it starts in the middle. But that must be quite rare. I've never seen one.
Thank you

Good job. Now maybe they will be happy and stop giving you a hard time.😁

Some beefy tree trunks you have going there as well, can’t wait to see them when they are done

Well guess you beat me to it on the up potting. Should help the harvest. Most don't understand the roots never stop growing. Seeking food and water.

Well guess you beat me to it on the up potting. Should help the harvest. Most don't understand the roots never stop growing. Seeking food and water.
Well let me just say thank you. Every one here like yourself are nothing but friendly help. The bigger the root the bigger the plant for sure the trick is to get the big buds.

Latest posts

Back