major problem with plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyickie

Reaction score
well first im from central florida and I started 2 plants in 5 gal. buckets at the end of april and one is doing great but the other one looks like the top has bud rot. it was only on the top no other buds were affected . what causes that so I can prevent it. both plants have lots of buds for only growing not even 4 months. any info will be great. thanks

Proper airflow, even od, is important. If you're letting other things grow around the plant for camo then cut some of it back.

If you've been having high FL humidity though there might not be much you can do. Remove the bad bud and treat with a fungicide

Melvan said:
Proper airflow, even od, is important. If you're letting other things grow around the plant for camo then cut some of it back.

If you've been having high FL humidity though there might not be much you can do. Remove the bad bud and treat with a fungicide

thanks Melvan

what fungicide do I use? and is it good to use even after budding? and I don't have nothing around the plants they are on my back porch.

Sierra Naturals makes an organic fungicide that is fine to use in flower. I hope you've already cut away the molded bud, and don't try to smoke it or use it for butter, just throw it away.

If they're just sitting on your back porch can you plug in a fan to blow on them?

Do what Melvan said and get a fan on them.
Would also help if they are able to get the early morning sun,this would help with the dew.

pcduck said:
Do what Melvan said and get a fan on them.
Would also help if they are able to get the early morning sun,this would help with the dew.

should I trim some of the big sun leaves so it gets more air . would that help or hurt

Put a fan on them as mentioned and theres no need to think about trimming fan leaves, get the buds moving/twitching a little.

triming is probably not a great idea in flower due to stress causing possible hermis i think any pics

N.E.wguy said:
triming is probably not a great idea in flower due to stress causing possible hermis i think any pics

Defoliating is a common practice and does not cause herms. It's quite sensible actually to remove a 1/3rd of the large fans to increase light penetration to lower buds and increase airflow through plant interior. Snip them about an inch from where petiole meets stem. Let the piece you leave just shrivel off.

By day 45 indoors I've removed almost all my fan leaves.

I can cut some of the fan leaves off ? I got pics but cant figure out how to up load them. I got a feeling im going to loose the hole plant

Melvan and I are going to disagree here. While I do not believe that cutting the fan leaves causes hermies, IMO, it is not beneficial to the plant in general. All the photosynthesis takes place in the large fan leaves and removing them takes away some of the plant's ability to photosynthesize. Besides, buds do not need light, the fan leaves are where the work takes place. It doesn't sound like you are having problems with the interior of the plant--the bud rot is on top where there is plenty of air and sun.

Pictures need to be resized before they can be posted. I use Paint.

We always did disagree on that THG, lol

Here's a link that discusses it pretty well, with lots of info from both sides of the debate on defoliating, a debate that's probably been going since the first man planted a pot seed.

hXXp://xxx.420magazine.com/forums/hydroponic-gardening/176415-increasing-yield-defoliation-indoors-what-s-mean-how-do.html

buddogmutt said:
Check in the bud for a caterpillar
great point

if it's just 1 lone bud, you may have been hit by a budworm (moth larvae)
just found one myself here the other day :(

humidity/rain is usually your number 1 suspect, but if it's been nice and you find an odd patch of rot.. that is a possibility ;)

regardless, not much to do but cut off effected area, and be vigil for anymore down the road. good luck
:)

another thing that causes Rot ..esp..on tops are fallen debre..pine needles..tree leafs...ect....A fan will help a bit but I also know the RH in florida where IMO this wont do nothing but keep the moister off...are these in the open...or in a green house?....if you can make something like a green house than you could make it less Humid....

Defoliation throughout flower......I did a side by side Defoliation over at another site and found that No hermies was caused by this and the defoliated one yielded less.....Now with that said I still remove lower branches as well as inside crap that wouldnt bud much anyway...I believe it sends more energy to the top..and allows more airflow... .just my thaughts

:48:

I will remove lower branches, too. I view this quite differently than removing fan leaves during flowering.

bird crap will also cause bud rot:D

im not sure about what im going to do quit yet but I do know if you look at the plant it looks quite tasty. like nothings wrong its when you look inside by the stalk you find dead brown **** that don't look good. I know im new at this but I do know when something don't look right. and by the looks of it its all the buds mainly the bigger ones. I talk to a guy thats growing in my neck of the woods and he don't have no problems. so it must be something im doing wrong. I will try to get pics up by the weekend. thanks everyone for the advice.

stickyickie said:
im not sure about what im going to do quit yet but I do know if you look at the plant it looks quite tasty. like nothings wrong its when you look inside by the stalk you find dead brown **** that don't look good. .

sounds like you got bud rot.

That's what effects mine every year. Looks like Bud Rot but it's just like all the moisture was sucked out of the bud. These are small green worms that I think come from moths laying eggs on the buds. Look for little black specks on leafs (worm ****) then look on and in the bud above the black specks.

buddogmutt said:
Check in the bud for a caterpillar

Latest posts

Back