MG soil burned me for the last time. Need advice from the pro's!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
Ok, so I have finally finished, or at least, am close to finishing my second grow. I used the MG three month potting soil and for some darn reason it burned the ever loving crap out of the plants really late in the game. I thought after almost three months they would have been used to it, but nope. Over night they just turned brown and are now not looking so hot. So I am cutting this one short and am going to harvest next week.

Regardless I have decided to try another approach to the grow. I am thinking about using new soil and what not but I am not sure where to start. I am looking to try just basic soil with no nutrients added and adding the nutes myself so that I can control how much they get. This is where I need some help. I need a lot of suggestions on soils, types of nutes, and watering scheduales. I am looking for the whole deal. My plants are only growing to half their potential. I am not going to be using bagseed on the next grow I am ordering reall purebreeds and am going to try my luck with that, but I feel that if I am going to invest money in some good seeds I should do them justice with a proper grow.

I am asking anyone and everyone for help on this one. My growing confidence is about shot and I could really use the wonderful guiding hand of the experts. I know that I have access to fox farms products and pretty much all the major professional growing products that can be found at any specialty shop. I finally got my grow chamber to stay at a level temp and humidity. So I know I have isolated my problem to the soil and nutes.

Thank you all very much in advance. Please feel free to get as detailed as you would like. If I have anyquestions on the suggestions I will ask and hopefully I can learn a thing or two.

I think foxfarm oceanforest is the best soil you can get your hands on. It has a little perlite in it already, but i recommend mixing 1 cup per gallon extra, helps get the best drainage possible. That is what I used my first grow and im still :shocked: i love their nutes too:eek:

I use a mix of 1pt perlite (I use miracle grow because that's all I can find), 1 part peat moss( not MG), 1 pt mushroom compost, and 1 pt vermiculite I use 1 tablespoon of dolomite lime per gallon of soil., this never burned my plants. I feed on the regular schedule with botanicare progrow/bloomeven though the mushroom compost and MG perlite has nutes they are just supplemental. I water my plants with ph'd water with superthrive for the first 2 weeks and then begin the nutes. But if your looking for a neutral soil scotts premium top soil is a rich mix with no nutes added I found it at walmart. I got the shroom compost, vermiculite, perlite at Lowes and the Canadian peat moss at a local nursery. If all else fails you can't go wrong with go for promix. Hope this helps!

pussum, your going in the right direction- plants grow fine in mg soil for a minute- but late in flower it burns almost EVERYTIME! get some FF soil if you can, if not i will give you a killer soil mix that you can whip up in no time.

perlite is yer friend! more is better as you can always add nutes- not drianage.

pm me if you cant find fox farms stuff- ill hook u up :D

good luck bro on the harvest!

dont forget a smoke report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything fox farms is good stuff. I recommend the pro mix. Really great stuff. I have heard terrible things about mg soil but I have seen some spectacular results from it also so I don't know what to believe. Also, perlite is your BEST friend. I use lots of perlite in my mix because I can always add more nutrients if necessary. It also allows lots of oxygen to get to the roots. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Hay Pussum
yea I know what ur talkin about and let me say I am NOT going to use MG on my next grow I am going to TRY to Order some fox farm or if not try some Organic stuff from the Nursey next time and I got to order as soon as I can sit at this comp next month..
MG 3 months feeding is to Much for MJ at the end and this grow I use just reg poting Soil with a mix of the old 3 month feed and seems to be fine but I have 2 more months to go before harvest on these bagg seeds and time will tell..
Yes I am also going to order some seeds too when I get one of those visa card from walmart next month..

lowrydergrower775 said:
eh foxfarm charges too much make your own soil or go with promix ;)
i normaly spend at least $65 every 2 days on weed so a bag of $20 soil for a free HP in 3 months is totally worth it. I hate penny pinching growing:shocked: your not penny pinching LRG(lowrydergrower) Ha Lifted Research Group... $20 is nothing.. get the foxfarm.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend MG, not only isn't it organic(if that's what your go'n 4) but you need to get a soil accustomed for your specific strain. Some FF nutes aren't what your strain needs. I use a High Porosity Growing Medium. Pre-mixed and bought at my local grow store called Premire Pro Mix HP with extra perlite
-65-75% by volume Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
-Perlite
-Wetting agent
-Dolomitic and Calcitic limestone(ph adjuster)
This way I know how much nutes they're getting and when they're getting it. I've seen alot of grows go bad because of MG. My very first little grow is one of them.

I'm no big fan of MG soil, but are you sure it's not just the natural plant changes at end-of-flowering? Becuase they often do look like they're dying late in the game, leaves turning yellow and brown and falling off.
I've used that soil for a whole grow, and didn't experience anything abnormal, but yeah, the plants looked pretty bad by the end. Except for the buds. I had gone beyond the 3 months and had been using foliar and soil feeds in mid-flowering.

im using mg now and have in the past in some locations its hard to find great soil. i also have seen excatly what bearfootbob decribed and the bud was awesome i also went beyond 3 months and didnt feed any thing but water the last 3 weeks a slow flush kinda thing. mg can be a little rough on some strains but most seem to grow out of their sensitivity to it.

I'm no fan of MG products either, but I'm carefull what I say.
The bros. grunt use it exclusively. Check out his grows and imagine the buds he would be producing, if he weren't experiiencing all those Miracle Grow woes.. ;)

Latest posts

Back