Molasses and Corn Syrup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as far as im concern, mollassas DOES give taste.

its not hear say. Ive grown first hand, and have smoked same strain,
same grow with and without mollassas. And there is
deffinately a difference.

i have no scientific proof, but the plant is absorbing some Sweetness
as its drinking its H2O.

By the way, maybe this would fit nicely in the organics section. As that's where this conversation has headed. ANyways...

massproducer said:
Honestly stoney i normally love to debate issue with you because I often understand your point of view, but this time seems like one of those times that it is really not going to be worth it.

I just spent some time on the phone with a friend who teaches plant biology in a well known university. After a long, very detailed and sometimes angry explanation of things discovered more recently than my education in his field encompasses, he's convinced me that large strides have been made in the areas we're discussing. He even offered to come knock it into my head for you after reading our posts via email.

The new methods he discussed are mostly under the umbrella of fruit improvement, and he admitted that he had no knowledge of the same methods being used in marijuana studies, but he did say that what I know of the subject is now much out of date.

It seems that I'll have a nice supper of crow tonight.

Given that my information seems to be out of date, and practical experimentation has shown value in what I've believed to be harmful, I concede the argument to you and those who have insisted on the possible benefit of utilizing sucrose based additives into a nutrient system.

Whereas I fully believed it to be a soil improvement only, it seems that I'm out of date and incorrect.

While holding my previous beliefs, I stood firmly. Now that I've learned that my education has been surpassed by more recent discoveries, I readily admit my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Old dogs *can* learn new tricks.

Damned expensive phone call too. :D

I'm not even telling you or my friend how to find each other. I need no more knocks on my head than I've had over the years.

Now, please excuse me, as I have a lot of pie to eat...

Peace

I am truly humbled Stoney, you are truly a great person. I honestly can say that this has just really sparked my imagination recently as I started growing organically in coco coir.

It is funny because I thought I was moving away from chems and science but growing efficiently in an all organic medium is very technical and scientific. It is also hard because so little is known, it is like the wild, wild, west.

I am glad that were able to come to a level of understanding as we always do. Everyone please understand though what everyone said is totally relevent and basically true. What stoney said is totally true organic matter can not be uptaken, but IMO, it becomes very interesting when we consider all of the possibilities of new inorganic carbon compounds. And it becomes even more interesting when we consider what these things will do to our plants when they latch on to other macro or micro nutes.

I must say wow, stoney, you always make me work, I learned so many new things today from both the board and my research...and I love it.

Good night bro

POTUS said:
I just spent some time on the phone with a friend who teaches plant biology in a well known university. After a long, very detailed and sometimes angry explanation of things discovered more recently than my education in his field encompasses, he's convinced me that large strides have been made in the areas we're discussing. He even offered to come knock it into my head for you after reading our posts via email.
Is there any way you could provide some of the information your friend gave you? I can find lots of studies that have been done on the efficacy of sugar additives to soil fertilizers, but they are all in relation to microbial enhancement only (e.g., growing plants in the arctic, cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1421950).

It would be interesting to know what the secondary and tertiary effects of "soil sweetening" are, from a plant biologist's perspective.

wow my sentiments exactly wat hick said. i just wish my ex wife and i could have debated like u guys before the divorce LOL

i was always wonderin on all the hype of this molasses/corn syrup thing as well but this was very informative as well as entertaining watchin all go at it in debate mode lol. but thanks for all the info on the whole molasses/syrup thing.

willPow3r said:
Is there any way you could provide some of the information your friend gave you? I can find lots of studies that have been done on the efficacy of sugar additives to soil fertilizers, but they are all in relation to microbial enhancement only (e.g., growing plants in the arctic, cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1421950).

It would be interesting to know what the secondary and tertiary effects of "soil sweetening" are, from a plant biologist's perspective.

Much of what he told me concerned the uptake of sucrose by plants that are altered or hybrid to increase their ability to utilize sucrose via the roots. Lots of enzyme and hormone additions and balancing of the chemical structure of the plants to enable them to increase the uptake without the negative effects noted in the past.

Hardly any of it had to do with the addition of sucrose based substances to plants in what we would call their "natural" state.

In the natural state, the amount of sucrose that a plant can take up or exist in without harmful effects is slight and must be diluted with water at the proper ratio.

The experiments he spoke of were to increase the after effects of increased "sugar" levels in plants that are used for flavoring. The increase allows for more product from less fruit, resulting in MO MONEY per/pound of fruit grown.

The ratios of water to sucrose depend on the plant. I remember reading somewhere, what the proper ratio was, but I don't remember where it was. At the time, I thought it was bovine excrement, so I didn't bother to save the data.

Sorry.

If I run into it again, I'll post it.

The ratios of water to sucrose depend on the plant.

and what stage the plant is in.
also mollasses after the lil microbeasties break it down it provides a great source of potassium. Which is why a lot of organic growers use it in flower ;)

but its good to use in all stages if making up organic teas.
but it MUST be unsulphered. as sulphur kills microlife.

Corn syrup i would not use as stated by someone else. It is not a simple suger like mollasses.

Latest posts

Back