New indoor setup.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistisrising

Wierd Al Yank a Male
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I'm planning...

I've got ten lr2 seeds, and ten lowlife auto mix seeds. My intentions are to set up a small grow room for them where I start about twenty at a time, angling for nine or ten females coming to maturity constantly. I figure three phases, starting twenty seeds every three weeks. I think I'm getting a little frisky since the space is 32" x 96" (2.5x8ft), I'm not sure about the pot size just yet, but I'll work it out as I go. I'll have to balance yield with space.

Lights are two 150w hps, and one 70w mh, along with 12 42w cfl 2700's, 4 23w cfl 5000k, and 8 23w 6500k cfl's. The idea being that I will start them at one end under the 6500k's and the MH with the 5000k's being the border where the 2700's surround the HPS's. All this mounted to a bar on a pulley system. I'm going to have a seperate small chamber with four 24" 20w 5000k bulbs for seedlings, and males, but I may increase that to six or eight bulbs once I have the money.

I have a 180 cfm inline fan, and a 4"x18" carbon filter. The hps/mh lights are verticle with fifteen inch reflectors. So, I'll probably drill through them and attatch radiator hose to draw the heat away. I don't want to make the holes too big, since this will reduce the reflective surface. Plus the heater hose won't tranfer the heat back to the room. The fan will be mounted right to the outside wall with the carbon filter on the outside. It's actually in the dead space above the seedling/male chamber.

I intend to start seeds in small cubes then transfer them to cups till they show sex, then into the two or three gallon pots, I'm still not sure what will fit the best given room and plant size. I would rather put all of them right into the big pots, but I just don't have the space to sex them that way, so I may just start them all in papertowels and then right to the cups upon germination. After that it's just moving them along the line. As one group comes to maturity I'll move the next one up and the new seedlings in.

I don't know what to do for a drying chamber. The space is 6.5 or 7 ft high, so I may cut the veg end of the room in half height wise so that the bottom will become the drying section. I'm afraid that the fan will pull too much wind through, so I'll put two smaller intakes on the opposite ends of the veg/flower section, and just cut a hole into there from the drying section with a computer fan venting into the veg/flower section. I'll have to make some way for fresh air to get into it.

So, now I have to ask myself, and some of you, some questions...

I'll be cutting quite a few holes into this area, allowing for a lot of light leaks. It doesn't matter too much with the auto's, but I have some b52's, and some sweet purple on the way. So at some point I'll be needing absolute darkness. Will the ess shaped hoses on all the in and outlets decrease the cfm of the fan through resistance?
Next, how big do these auto's get in the first three weeks? If I cut the veg end in half for drying I'll need to make sure that I don't run out of room under the light.
Third, lowlife suggests a light cycle of 20/4, while joint doc suggests 18/6. Should I split the difference and go 19/5, or does one of these work soundly with all auto's? It seems to me that it might not matter, but I would guess that more light would equal more yield. It would also equal more electric bill.
Next, what about pot size? I saw someone recommend two litre pots for lowryders (may not have been this site), but this seems small to me. I was thinking two gallon would do it for three footers, if five gallon pots take care of six footers outdoors.
What about the carbon filter? Is 4x18 enough to keep down the smell of a space of about 140 sq ft?
And finally, do I need a filter before the fan to keep particles out of it? I have seen this in home ventilations systems, but I haven't seen too many growers using them. Don't these fans burn out eventually if they're not fed filtered air?

Please give me some feedback, I think my plan is sound, minus the actual experience with this setup to work out the kinks. Does anyone see any flaws in my logic here? I've done a lot of reading, I just haven't actually grown indoors before, so I might be forgetting something.

20 sq.ft. and your using:
370W of Hid
and 780W of flos. if I'm reading this right.
when 50W of Hid is all ya need. 1 600W HPS and a touch of side lighting . and use 1 of your 150W hps for veg area and you'd save a ton in the long run opposed to running 1190 worth of random lights...the flos also don't have much penetration. Always go for higher wattage HIDS the penetration will give you more bang for the buck.

I'd follow the joint docs recommendations and run 18/6.

Thanks for braving this one, mutt...

So, in your opinion I should return the stuff I bought for the cfl's I was given, and just invest in hid. A 70w mh(also given) won't cover all the veg area I need, but I can boost it with the cfl's. The areas only 32" wide, could I scrap the whole cfl idea (except for veg) and put five of the 150's down the middle? Or will the 15" reflector not cover that much area? The way I see it, It probably can only hold two plants width wise, so every two or three days I could turn them 180 degrees to get the outside in, but I'm not sure that the outside will get enough light in the meantime. I really don't have the money for a 600w system, but the 150hps is only $50 with the reflector. If I return all the cfl reflectors, I have enough for two more. Then in a few weeks when the room is ready for me, I'll have enough for another one.

Plus, you said that I could use the 150w hps for veg, but I thought that not enough blue during veg could produce hermies, or a good amount of males by starving the plants for the right light spectrum.

Oh, and with all these hid's, will my fan be enough if I vent the hoods?

Latest posts

Back